Avery's "First" Maker: The TA-800

Great. So change pin 5 on the one to pin 6 on the new. Connect pins 1 & 4 as usual and reverse the 8uf cap leads. Done.. I just hope the leads on the transformers are numbered!

Larry -- Look very carefully and you will see that the terminals are in fact numbered, with the one colored with a green dot always being terminal number 1.

You will also find that while the pin designation for the secondary center tap terminal changed from 5 to 6 on the schematic, the location of the actual center tap terminal is in the same place that it always was on the transformer itself -- between pins 1 and 4. They simply changed how the center pins on each side of the transformer were designated numerically.

Dave

That is one great looking cabinet Rob!! Did the maker install feet and cut holes in the bottom of it to allow the holes in the bottom plate of the chassis to breath?

Dave

So it has the feet as well as a large opening in the bottom to vent. With the fan on, it's keeping things pretty cool.

Last edited:
The cabinet was made by McIntosh Cabinets. A little expensive but built like a brick. They dowel pin the corners and everything. This is the Ribbon Stripe Mahogany finish.
As for the TT, its a Dual 1228 Auto. It just sounds superb. At some point I will get a period correct Miracord 10 but that's a ways out. There will be a used set of Cornwalls long before that! You guys have corrupted me!

Last edited:
Turned out beautiful Rob, that ribbon stripe cabinet really sets it off. Maybe someday I will get to use my TA-800 again. :idea:

Guys,

I really wish everyone could hear this beauty! It makes music really come alive. The richness and quality of the sound just bring even the most vanilla tracks to life! Dave was right when he said before I heard it on Saturday, I'd never heard what a healthy TA-800 sounded like. Based on the condition this TA was in, plus the many areas of attention it needed...he was right! The addition of EFB brings it an even more commanding presence and added reliability.

I want to take a moment to recognize Dave G and the work he has done for me. I have no doubt there is no one living that is more capable of working on these old tube units. He is the MASTER!

From the very beginning, Dave showed his impressive knowledge, attention to detail, and his amazingly professional process including communication with his personal feedback and opinions. It was more than a business deal between a client and a professional. Dave treated me like family and recommended courses that may not have been the easiest, but were necessary to turn this unit into what it is. He looked at this project from my perspective as well as the legacy and passion of Avery Fisher himself. He kept me in the loop through every minute detail, having no issues taking the time "dumbing down" the technical details to which I have little to no knowledge. Even on the day I came to pick the unit up, he wouldn't even show me the 800 until he touched on the details of the project and the unique operating traits and functions of the TA. I believe I spent around three hours with Dave in his lab. If I hadn't had such a daunting return trip home, I would have spent many more enjoying the company, the knowledge and the music!

I consider this project and experience among the best time and money I've ever spent.

I think we all agree what an amazing blessing and resource Dave is to us all.

For that I am grateful.

Rob

Last edited:
Turned out beautiful Rob, that ribbon stripe cabinet really sets it off. Maybe someday I will get to use my TA-800 again. :idea:
Thanks Steve,

You really should get her back up and running. I know you have an amazing Fisher collection but I'm convinced the TA-800 is special. I'm very biased because this unit is so dear to me and the connection I have with it. I am the rare member here that really only has one quality receiver at home. But at least it's a good one! I feel, however that it will have company in the future!

Last edited:
Dave is definitely the guy if you want a no holds barred repair / restomod. I especially like that any modifications are done within the theme of the original design or manufacturer, not just some completely different circuit from another amp.

Thanks Steve,

You really should get her back up and running. I know you have an amazing Fisher collection but I'm convinced the TA-800 is special. I'm probably very biased because this unit is so dear to me and the connection I have with it. I am the rare member here that really only has one quality receiver at home. But at least it's a good one! I feel, however that it will have company in the future!
I have always maintained that I like the TA series the best out f all their receivers, so I will dig into mine and see what things that the other guy did. I'm pretty sure he used adapters in the 7199 sockets, so although it sounds good to my ears, their is most likely room for improvement.

Dave is a great resource, it's easy to think he is just AK's go to Fisher and tube expert, but he is known world wide. He's one of the few that will answer my dumb questions without making me feel any more stupid. :) Getting to visit with him was surely the icing on the cake, the world needs more genuine people like him in it.

Back
Top Bottom