Audio Community Phrases or Sayings that Make You Cringe.....

Audio leads.

Nah. Nobody uses that term to describe cables terminated with RCA connectors that are used
to connect components other than speakers. Do a search here for "audio leads."

"Patch cords" and "cables" are way too vague, and describe almost anything.

Interconnects is the universally used term with a commonly accepted meaning. Shouldn't make anybody cringe.

Nah. Nobody uses that term to describe cables terminated with RCA connectors that are used

Maybe "audio leads" is a UK thing or a general audio thing rather than "hi fi" terminology, because it's what I've heard used far more often than "interconnects", which I've only heard in audiophile circles.

Interconnects is the universally used term with a commonly accepted meaning. Shouldn't make anybody cringe.

"Patch cords" USED TO BE the universally used term with a commonly accepted meaning. But it was too difficult to sell patch cords at $1000 a pair. So when I see "interconnects" at those kind of prices, I don't cringe. I snort, and spit, and call them "patch cords".

:)

"Patch cords" USED TO BE the universally used term with a commonly accepted meaning. But it was too difficult to sell patch cords at $1000 a pair. So when I see "interconnects" at those kind of prices, I don't cringe. I snort, and spit, and call them "patch cords".

:)

Well, since the olden days, the different means of connecting one's gear has exploded. RCA cables, XLR cables, HDMI cables, coax cables, optical cables, and of course component cables, trigger cables, power cables and the ever popular USB cables.

To most, your basic RCA stereo cables are considered to be IC's. Most of the other cables are called by their unique means of passing information. I'd call RCA cables by the RCA name, but the coax cable also uses the rca plug so it's confusing. The phrase patch cords is really quite vague and will get a request for clarification.

Audio cables.

Fair enough, but it's 2 words instead of one, same number of syllables, and doesn't distinguish between speaker cables and inter... - oops, sorry - those bits of wire with RCAs (or XLRs or phone plugs) on each end that make a connection between two audio components.

But it's redundant. Inter means between two items. Obviously an audio connection will be between two components, so if you're generically referring to something just use connection.

I don't "cringe". There are thousands on this site and terms are bound to be picked up and repeated.

LMLMP_Soundstage_1295x495.jpg

Have to agree with Giant Killer- usually when referring to some cheap plastic fronted amplifier from the 1980s (NAD 3020 I'm talking to you)

PRAT (pace rhythm and timing) thanks to NAIM for that piece of BS that endures due to the UK HiFi press.

I guess NAD sold a whole bunch of 3020 amps because they were so crap, huh? Maybe that has some bearing on the reason why NAD are still in business while so many others have passed by the wayside.

Why don't you just say whinging pommie HiFi press?

I had a problem with 'Digital Ready' in regards to speakers, as well, until it was explained to me much later. It had to do with driver speed and control, for the companies that actually cared. For others it was just a buzz-word. They were still being driven by an analog signal and voltage. And probably only a very few speakers were truly handicapped by an analog presentation of a digital source medium.

I'm just not a fan of hype.

Edited to add: OK, Yeah. I bought a 2M Blue without ever having heard one. Sue me...

Back
Top Bottom