The official AK golf thread

Played a final round with my grandfather a day after his funeral last week at Bos Landen Golf Club. It wasn't his regular course but he did play it. Tough as heck course - not much room for error. He's the man who taught me how to play. Funny, even after death he kept saying the same things: "You're trying to kill it." "Quit throwing your shoulder back." ... that sort of thing. One bird, five pars and the rest ... well there's a few golf balls out in the woods. :thumbsup:
my late Dad was the same.."its physics, not brute force" Now I watch LPGA for those slow backswings which result in pretty good distance.

Shot a 73 today which was unusually low for me. I'm a 13 hdcp and I think my best ever was a 77 some years ago.
New M1 driver, Spider Tour black putter and Leupold laser rangefinder this season have all contributed.
Started experimenting w/ a claw putting grip that has paid dividends.
Really digging the yellow Cally Chrome Soft ball, too.

Shot a 73 today which was unusually low for me. I'm a 13 hdcp and I think my best ever was a 77 some years ago.
New M1 driver, Spider Tour black putter and Leupold laser rangefinder this season have all contributed.
Started experimenting w/ a claw putting grip that has paid dividends.
Really digging the yellow Cally Chrome Soft ball, too.
I've never owned a brand new driver and I don't play enough to justify the expense..just wondering what the M1 is like.

Fox coverage of the U.S. Open is unwatchable.
No worse than most sporting events.

Having all the info at their fingertips (thanks to computers) gives most sportscasters diarrhea of the mouth, with their constant, non-stop talking about statistics that most people don't care about.

I've never owned a brand new driver and I don't play enough to justify the expense..just wondering what the M1 is like.

I'm a deal hound. Found the M1 as a demo for $150.
I was hitting a Cleveland XL that I paid $80 for some years back. The M1 launches well with a good swing.
Paid $90 for the Spider w/ shop credit from a scramble and $170 for the Leupold on sale.
NEVER pay retail.

my late Dad was the same.."its physics, not brute force" Now I watch LPGA for those slow backswings which result in pretty good distance.

I'm bashing a Ping Anser 9.5 driver - I've found that if I try to kill it, the ball goes way to the left (being a lefty, all balls seem to want to go left). But if I let the club do the work, it rewards you. I think punishment vs. reward is so much greater with these newer drivers. I remember having a bit more leeway with my old Burner and even the real wood drivers of the past. But the old adage remains.

I have been saying for years men would be better off watching the ladies play than the men PGA tour players. You could, to some extent, replicate a lady pro swing, speedwise, but never Rory or DJ, etc. I went to the Women's Open at Sebonac in Southampton and let me tell you, these girls crush the ball off the tee. (they also hit irons & wedges better than you and go around in 28 putts or so.)
All I know, is the slower I swing the better I play. Now getting that through my thick skull is quite another matter.

I shot a 79 today and that is my best round ever . I played 3 weeks ago and had 7 pars in a row but blew up on too many holes and shot an 89 . I was very happy today .

Today I had my best round since I had my stroke in 2014. Shot an 88 with no mullys, no fluffing up lies and managed to play 17 1/2 hole with a single ball before I pulled my second shot on 18, 20 yards left into the forest. It sure felt good to have a semi decent round again. Today I slowed my swing down and quit trying to kill it and my last two rounds my driver has been at home in the shed and I've been teeing off with a 3 wood. Been keeping it in play and hitting further than my driver anyways. I hope the rest of the season keeps going as it has lately. The toughest part of today was the heat High 90's by noon (10am tee time) and the back nine is a tough walk on a cool day. Didn't know if I was gonna make through the last 3 or 4 holes without keeling over. Usually when I get tired I start spraying everything right but managed to fight through it today. There is still hope for my golf game.:bigok::banana::beerchug:

Good to see my thread is still chugging along. I rarely play anymore due to my ongoing back issues. I'm lucky if I manage 9 holes a week. A couple of years ago it was closer to 100 holes a week. Needless to say my game is suffering. I shot a 43 last time out and that was as good as I've played all year. By a long shot. [NPI] Here's to long drives, one putt greens and birdies by the bunches!

This weekend I attend a yearly golf weekend in eastern Ohio. Been doing this for 20+ years. We play 3 courses in 3 days; Friday morning 18 holes scoring your own ball, afternoon 18 hole scramble, then a 9 hole drunken scramble. Repeat same on Saturday. Sunday 18 holes scoring own ball. When driving home on Sunday afternoon I always feel like I'm exiting a golf time tunnel.

Well I played yesterday for the first time since my 88 a few weeks ago. Talk about a disappointment compared to the previous round. 106 and couldn't get a putt to drop to save my life. Five three putts in the round is just not how I usually putt (37 putts this round, 30 the round before). I guess I'll try to redeem myself next week. As crappy as that last round was it's hard to beat a day on the links and a couple of cold ones. ;)

This weekend I attend a yearly golf weekend in eastern Ohio. Been doing this for 20+ years. We play 3 courses in 3 days; Friday morning 18 holes scoring your own ball, afternoon 18 hole scramble, then a 9 hole drunken scramble. Repeat same on Saturday. Sunday 18 holes scoring own ball. When driving home on Sunday afternoon I always feel like I'm exiting a golf time tunnel.
20 yrs, nice! Obviously a fun one.
I have one coming up that will be only MY second yr within this group. Good golf, goods food and good fun!

Good to see my thread is still chugging along. I rarely play anymore due to my ongoing back issues. I'm lucky if I manage 9 holes a week. A couple of years ago it was closer to 100 holes a week. Needless to say my game is suffering. I shot a 43 last time out and that was as good as I've played all year. By a long shot. [NPI] Here's to long drives, one putt greens and birdies by the bunches!
`
Back problem is no good for golf. Mine is arthritic. Some days, it never loosens up.

Back
Top Bottom