Tick problem getting' more serious!

Talk of the town now, this tick, least in Canada since it hit the news here.

But our gov't will still be finding out if there's a tick prob with the one that causes "Lyme Disease".:rolleyes:

Q
Its very common for people to come to the US for treatment, I know many that do.
Its also very common for people to travel state to state in the US for treatment. People have no Idea

I tend to agree with you with the scant knowledge base that I can muster. Most sources believe that there is a short time period wherein the antibiotics can be effective in varying degrees, but after a certain arbitrary period, they can work against the detriment of the patient.

As most meds agree, all immune systems are not the same, with the female being the more robust. This I learned even in HS bio! Drugs are meant to enhance recovery but often work against this goal.

At this point in time, I feel that most advisors are flailing in the dark, trying this and than with most going with the standard procedures that have worked with some, and a few striking out with new methodologies if the former sees little or no progress. Most are a wait and see, but this is where there should be some JOINT effect taking place that allows researchers to tie into common bank of knowledge that would save a lot of time/effort for the practitioners who are plying their trade. This I believe should be gov't inspired!

Q
Most sources have no Idea what they are talking about. They do not deal with them on a daily basis. theory proven to be false by patients/doctors including me

Most sources have no Idea what they are talking about. They do not deal with them on a daily basis. theory proven to be false by patients/doctors including me

I figure we will have the answer to whether there is a problem with these critters in the next year. Then, more time to get the word out as to what they look like and the symptoms of being infected. After these two procedures are carried out, and funds are allocated for research...it will be three to four years down the road before research can start to deal with this disease...?

Q

I'm late to this thread, so I hope I'm not repeating what's already been said. I think you can greatly reduce the chances of picking up ticks with a simple combination of clothing, repellents, and situational awareness. Having a dog would seem to be another matter altogether. I remember coming out of the woods five or so years ago and encountering a guy picking ticks of his black lab. I stopped counting at 20!

New up date on the Lyme critters in my part of the world.

Now the local municipal counsel is going after the Feds in an attempt to clear out tall grass from an habitat for wildlife and all other creatures that live there. The locals want to do the beach thingy and want to either irradiate or reduce the rick of ticks since they are prevalent in that area. No tall grass=no/less ticks, least that's what they feel. Goes with the territory, I guess? Another case of "We want to alter nature, cause we can". Gov't now has to measure what % of the ticks are really the Borillia (Lyme carrying ones).

Same goes for the coyotes in this neck of the woods. Small dogs are being left out at night for food samples since the rabbit population has been pretty well depleted due to loss of environment in this coastal area due to urban development.

Infestation of the Zoomer, at its worst creating another deadly infestation that crates havoc wherever found, eh? Another thread from another time, but politically charged!:rolleyes:

Q

Thank you for starting this thread, Quadman2. I needed quite a long time to read the more than 150 replies but it was worth the effort. Lyme is not so much an issue here in deep South West Germany, but FSME (meningoencephalitis) is very much.

Last edited:
aa11.jpg

On the right you see the federal state of Bavaria, on the left the federal state of Baden-Württemberg, where I'm living. Four years ago I started a thread titeled "Friends I am pretty concerned", the topic was a dangerous tick bite.

Now back to the topic...

The gov't has now made public that not only the Deer Tick is a potential killer, but that the other known as the Dog Tick also has the ability to carry dangerous pathogens. Up until now, there has been little regard for the latter critter to do damage, so they can now forget about determining what the % of black legged ones are out there. All have the ability to cause serious damage to animal or man.

Q

Last edited:
The gov't has now made public the not only the Deer Tick is a potential killer, but that the other known as the Dog Tick also has the ability to carry dangerous pathogens. Up until now, there has been little regard for the latter critter to do damage, so they can now forget about determining what the % of black legged ones are out there. All have the ability to cause serious damage to animal or man.
There are plenty of other pathogens to go around in any vector-borne disease. Unfortunately. For Lyme these can, and usually do, include: babesiosis, anaplasmosis, ehrlichiosis, relapsing fever, tularemia, Rocky Mountain spotted fever (RMSF), and Bartonellosis.

Just got some updated (2017) results in on the time period that damage that can be done by these nasty critters.

Seems like the 24 hour infection period has now been reduced to 25 minutes to a half hour wherein the bacteria can do its thing. Not a good thing to share, but if this is the case?...it's more imperative that treatment be near at hand.

Q

I'd like to add to this older thread that I stumbled across this 1997 Letterman show where Michael Fox (19:00 minutes in) immediately reveals he was bitten by a tick, tested positive and diagnosed with Lyme Disease.
A couple years later he's diagnosed with full blown Parkinson's
Purely coincidental:rolleyes:

I'm not discounting that connection out of hand but I'd really like to see more proof than that to draw a conclusion.
Either way I really hate the little bastards.

There is a Lyme Disease vaccination available for dogs, not yet for humans, but the canine vaccine has been available for well over a decade. Extra $20 at the vet with all of the other annual shots, but I live in "deer central", so well-worth the money. Half-tempted to have them give it to me if I knew it wouldn't kill me. Frontline works really well--as you can see from my avatar photo, he could house a "flea circus" if not properly treated.

Last Thursday I was out in my shop spinning records over a few cold ones as usual, and as I was about to flip the record a tick goes scuttling across the front of my dust cover. I knocked it off and stomped on it, not a good sign when I see them indoors.

There is a Lyme Disease vaccination available for dogs, not yet for humans, but the canine vaccine has been available for well over a decade. Extra $20 at the vet with all of the other annual shots, but I live in "deer central", so well-worth the money. Half-tempted to have them give it to me if I knew it wouldn't kill me. Frontline works really well--as you can see from my avatar photo, he could house a "flea circus" if not properly treated.
I asked my lyme doc about this and he said bluntly "people are not dogs and you wouldn't want it in you" it does bad things to dogs, if they could talk you wouldn't want to hear what they have to say about it.

Back
Top Bottom