Sgt.Peppers.... too dated?

SPLHCB...too dated?!?!
Yes...Yes..yes...
Can still remember vividly the very first time I heard it...
My mate(we were both aged around 10...both working class lads) and who was never into music...or made a big thing about it...was excited and wanted to play the LP for me...
I didn't even know where he got the LP from and i was surprised he even had LPs or could afford them..
Things were tight and expensive back then for working class kids and their families in Melbourne..
Out came SPLHCB onto the little stereo his sisters owned and he wanted me to hear it...
Well after all his excitement of wanting to play the LP...I listened...
Normally he could not sit still but for this LP...he was as still as a sphinx on the sofa in the corner..in particular replaying...a day in the life...over and over...I listened..he listened..
I was more interested in the LP cover..all those different faces...clothes..
I knew that he was an atheist...never went to Religious service...just a loud gagerious boisterous kid who I hung around with...but for this LP his listening was attentive...respectful...reverent almost...maybe the closest he ever came to a spiritual experience...I was astonished...
I on the other hand who went to Sunday Church regularly...disliked the LP immediately...i could not stand the dirgey sounds...didn't want to listen to it and fidgeted...it bored me and I wanted to leave...
To me SPLHCB sounded heavy and flat..with no spark of life...and it amazed me that my mate liked it..
The closest I can get to describing it was like listening to a tv or radio broadcast from out of the distant past...a painful droning...time consuming irritation...the Queens Christmas message...my husband and I...blah...blah...blah...
SPLHCB is the only Beatles Album/music I hate..
Even today if I hear any song I have an immediate physical reaction...
SPLHCB?!?
Dated?!?
to me it was dated the day it was released...
It still astonishes me that people rave about this LP as it was the best thing since sliced bread...to me its stale...its always been stale to me...
Apologies for the rant...(feels good to finally get that out!)

Last edited:
The one I keep going back to is Magical Mystery Tour.

I'm the same, the critics seem to say that they had come to a dead end by this stage. Still, I like it the best. Sgt. Peppers comes a close second.

May have something to do with only discovering their albums in my mid 30's.

IMHO, listening to "Pepper" is akin to donning a pair of bell bottoms, tie-die shirt, and those little purple sunglasses that were all the rage back then....i.e., "getting into costume", more or less.
OTOH, I recently sat down and gave "Abbey Road" a critical listen, and walked away just as impressed as the first time I heard it....

It takes a lot of the fun out of listening to music when you know every note that is coming up. Maybe when you are drinking heavy or doped up real good it's different. I will never understand how someone can listen to the same albums over and over again. Even great ones.

It takes a lot of the fun out of listening to music when you know every note that is coming up. Maybe when you are drinking heavy or doped up real good it's different. I will never understand how someone can listen to the same albums over and over again. Even great ones.

Different strokes for different folks. I love to sit and analyse a recording I have heard a bunch of times. Probably my favorites artist to do that with are Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler, The Doobie Brothers, The Cars and a dozen or so others.

Sgt Pepper's always leaves me entertained and isn't that what it is all about. Nowhere even close to my favorite record, but it is still in my "A" Peaches crate.

I picked up the 50th anniversary re-mix a couple of weeks ago, and while I'm sure there are some who poo-poo this re-mix, I gotta say I think they did an exquisite job on it. Even on my modest system, it just seems to have all kinds of new life breathed into it. Each instrument, each voice is much more distinct than on any other recording I've ever heard, but, at the same time, it just sounds tighter.

It reminds me of the MoFi pressing I have of Los Lobos' Kiko.... Not only do you hear each instrument and it's position from left to right, but you feel a lot of depth, you feel physical space around each instrument.

Everything sounds much more present, more "in the room." I dunno....

If you're a parent of an only child, "She's leaving home" will have you bawling openly. It's a gorgeous song. I tend to like the tracks on Side 2, including Lovely Rita, Good Morning, and the reprise. They all seem to have much more of an edge than they used to have.

If you like the LP, there's a really good chance you'll really enjoy the 50th anniversary re-mix!

Part of the soundtrack of my youth. While I haven't played it much up to the 50th Anniversary release, it fit like an old pair of jeans once I started streaming it.

Dated, yeah. So am, as I'm 64. boomp, boomp!!..:)

I really can't listen to much of the old music that I loved back in the 60's and 70's. Hey, it was great at the time, but time marches on and I've moved on. It no longer resonates with me, and honestly I cringe when people rave about "classic rock". I enjoy discovering "new to me" music, meaning music and bands I've never heard before.

I really can't listen to much of the old music that I loved back in the 60's and 70's. Hey, it was great at the time, but time marches on and I've moved on. It no longer resonates with me, and honestly I cringe when people rave about "classic rock". I enjoy discovering "new to me" music, meaning music and bands I've never heard before.

While I still listen to the 'classics', I too cringe when some new member states that they're buying a new system listen to classic rock. My feeling is that while it's OK to enjoy Beatles, Stones, Who, etc. you need to expand your horizons now that you have a good system. Maybe listen to some Jazz, Classical, Country or even Opera, oops maybe I've gone farther than even I'm willing to go. :oops:

I just don't think the idea of permanently cocooning themselves in the studio as a bunch of "artistes" led to much beyond stagnation. OTOH the young Pink Floyd was gigging nightly at the UFO or at "corn exchanges" around England. This kept the adrenalin levels high and kept everything fresh.

I don't think the album is dated but for those who have been around a while it is saturated. My mother would play "Good Morning" full blast to get me out of bed. I think it is great a new issue might cause younger generations to discover it.
Back when there was discussion about LSD heroin etc. But the songs were written about a children's drawing, antique poster and newspaper articles. Commentary about life around them. None of that has really changed so dated to me is not the correct description.

One thing I miss guitar riffs. I always liked the guitar riffs on Stones/Beatles. Hardly any guitars on Sgt Pepper. (Sitar doesn't count).

I could listen to Highway 61 Revisited and Blood on the Tracks at least monthly for the rest of my life. Come to think of it, I've probably listened to both at least monthly for the past 40 years. They're still as fresh as they were on the day they were released.

I picked up the 50th anniversary re-mix a couple of weeks ago, and while I'm sure there are some who poo-poo this re-mix, I gotta say I think they did an exquisite job on it. Even on my modest system, it just seems to have all kinds of new life breathed into it. Each instrument, each voice is much more distinct than on any other recording I've ever heard, but, at the same time, it just sounds tighter.

It reminds me of the MoFi pressing I have of Los Lobos' Kiko.... Not only do you hear each instrument and it's position from left to right, but you feel a lot of depth, you feel physical space around each instrument.

Everything sounds much more present, more "in the room." I dunno....

If you're a parent of an only child, "She's leaving home" will have you bawling openly. It's a gorgeous song. I tend to like the tracks on Side 2, including Lovely Rita, Good Morning, and the reprise. They all seem to have much more of an edge than they used to have.

If you like the LP, there's a really good chance you'll really enjoy the 50th anniversary re-mix!

http://blog.sonos.com/en/giles-martin-remixes-sgt-peppers-lonely-hearts-club-band/

While I still listen to the 'classics', I too cringe when some new member states that they're buying a new system listen to classic rock. My feeling is that while it's OK to enjoy Beatles, Stones, Who, etc. you need to expand your horizons now that you have a good system. Maybe listen to some Jazz, Classical, Country or even Opera, oops maybe I've gone farther than even I'm willing to go. :oops:
I still enjoy a lot of classic rock.It's just damn good music.At the same time as my systems evolved it made me branch out to other genres that would compliment each other.Opened me up to jazz and classical music that I listen to just as much.On SPLHCB I picked up a CD of it(I guess I never had the cd,that's how long ago I burned out on it) and gave it a spin.Not bad but not as strong as a whole lp.Sgt.Pepper and Lovely Rita and Getting Better I skipped immediately.

Back
Top Bottom