Avery's "First" Maker: The TA-800

TA-800 Complete.jpg

Thanks everyone! I think I was finally able to upload a decent quality photo as any pictures don't do this thing any justice. If anyone needs anything regarding a TA-800 such as measurements, additional pictures (not likely) or anything else that I may have uncovered through this process just let me know. I'm very grateful to everyone on AK that has helped make this such a successful project. I want to give back in any way that I can.

Rob

Really good article on the upcoming (for 1961) implementation of FM MPX in this edition. Page 37.

I was finally able to complete drawing out the schematic for the revised power amplifier design installed in Rob's TA-800. Also included on this page is the revised input network installed at the input to the first tone control stage, which is required to maintain the original sensitivity specification of the unit, in spite of the reduced gain of the new power amplifier design. The response specifications given are for the power amplifier design only, and mimic those of the original Fisher power amplifier section -- this to maintain the same aural presentation. The response of the tone control section remains as originally designed as well.

For those with a TA-800 who are tired of jumping through the hoops necessary to find any acceptable 7199 tubes anymore, this eliminates that concern, and produces a dead quiet unit under minimum volume conditions. The revised power supply design is next up on the drawing board.

Dave

Revised Fisher 800 Power Amplifer.jpg

2 new S/N's as found on eBay. 10669A & 10736A

The second one is still listed and has a buy it now price of $1800. Has all of the paperwork including the Operating Manual which I've never seen!

So far the known serial numbers are;

10141 A
10396 A
10669 A
10736 A
1127_ B
11575 C
11739 _
12186 C
12944 C

Not a whole lot. Mine is the highest number and so far we have no evidence that over 3000 of these guys were ever made.

Last edited:
I've got BugleGirl's Downstairs. I'll check the # and report back. Might take me a couple days to negotiate the stairs down and back tho.

I've got BugleGirl's Downstairs. I'll check the # and report back. Might take me a couple days to negotiate the stairs down and back tho.
Think she actually reported her s/n to Dave earlier and I have it in my list.

I actually contacted the seller on eBay and asked if he could upload a scan of the Operating Manual since I haven't been able to find one before. He agreed! I'll post it when I have it!

In a moment of "life is short" weakness I sent the seller of 10736A an offer - it's now headed my way. Gonna turn one of my other two loose I think, or I will lose this game of tetris.

Awesome! I was hoping an AK member would scoop that one up. Cosmetically it looks amazing. Most of these brass-faced units look pretty beat up but you got a beautiful one!

Let me know if you have any questions, although Dave probably covered EVERYTHING in this thread.

PS, The seller never got back to me on the Operating Manual.. If you could scan that online for the community we would all thank you.

Rob,

I know all about the brass face Fisher problem, trust me!

Will do on the manual - though I think I have one already. Will look tonight.

One nice thing about the real brass faces though, you can polish them without bothering the lettering. Its engraved. The hard part is getting the polish out of the recesses. My TA-600 looked an absolute mess when I got it, but a little Brasso did wonders. Its not a 10/10 but it went from probably a 3 to a solid 7. The parts unit I have is a plated or tinted steel face, that one is just trash. Once the rust bleeds through the plating you can't do anything with it.

Back
Top Bottom