Why use an interface when you can use this?

Shakedown

This is not a DAC question but related (ADC), I am looking to hookup a turntable preamp to my computer for capturing.

I have had no luck with those messy USB interfaces such as M-Audio and Focusrite, and I say messy in reference to their fragile design that has broken on me twice in the past two months.

If I'm just looking for a straight A-D conversion without internal pres or gain control, I would not need an external USB interface correct? Any benefit to using one though in my circumstance, is it because they bypass a computers terrible sound card and this would not?

H4dx8SW.jpg

I guess I don't understand the question. I'm not familiar with the device in the picture but provided it is an ADC isn't it a USB interface?

The USB dongle pictured appears to be a pretty stock USB-based outboard audio soundcard. It would enumerate out to an additional stereo Line In and Line Out, assuming there's a Mic input.

If there are special drivers for it, you may be able to reconfigure the Input to be either a Mic-level or Line-level input. If the device, however, depends on the operating system to assign a standard audio driver, you may not have the option. You'll have to test it to find out as most of these products are very low cost and have little/no documentation.

I'm not clear what you mean by 'fragile' for the M-audio/Focusrite gear. I've been using that sort of gear for years for recording bands live. They'll work well but are, indeed, a bit of overkill for ripping vinyl - but they're very good at it. They do have those 'special' drivers I mentioned for a reason: they're quite configurable for a lot of applications. That, however, can get messy if you're not tech savvy enough with PC sys admin functions.

Just check that the device can handle a Line Level input device and you should be fine with the use of a RIAA preamp input.

Cheers,

David

Just check that the device can handle a Line Level input device and you should be fine with the use of a RIAA preamp input.

Cheers,

David

There's a switch on the side of the device labeled In/Out. I would presume that means it can be used as an ADC or a DAC.
FWIW: I use a Behringer UCA-222 as an ADC. It allows me to rip LP's at 16/48 which is adequate for me.

The USB dongle pictured appears to be a pretty stock USB-based outboard audio soundcard.

So basically if you use any A>D convertor you are stuck with the max resolution of that adapter, regardles of what interface you are running it into.

I'm really looking for a small HiFi adapter that will convert an RCA signal into a 24bit SPDIF digital signal.

If you are going from analog to digital, you will need to set levels. Every A>D Ive seen has level controls, whether going line in or mic in.
I haven't been doing ADC recording long, but my Behringer UCA 222 doesn't seem to have a level control. Just a "volume" control that seems to be just for playback as it makes no difference when using Audacity to lay down the data. I set my levels from within Audacity itself. Is this correct procedure?

Ive been out of the loop for 16 years so Im going off gut feeling. Though I cant think of any other possible way for the UCA222 to work. I actually had just thought of this in the past couple of days and was gonna say something but I wasnt sure and didnt do any research. Anyways I suspected in this day and age that some A/D converters probably have a "generically-set-to-a-fixed-gain-that-applies-to-a-wide-variety-of-music A/D that-is-more-than-likely-set-too-low-but-hopefully-at-least-doesnt-have-peak-compression-built-in". That device has rca analog ins and usb digital out, but no built in preamp to adjust levels. It has a built in ADC that sends 0s and 1s to computer. Then you are able to use the Audacity software to adjust levels. When it does this, it is doing some type of mathematical calculation in the software that is essentially a D>D conversion. So it is going thru an extra "D>D conversion" and when the A>D conversion happens the levels are probably less than optimum. Having said that, I could still see it sounding pretty darn good, even at $30. Like I said, gut feeling.
I think this is likely true, my Behringer ADC would have a fixed output and then just lays the digits down. I often add 3db to the gain in Audacity, sometimes even 6db, but there were recordings (rips) where I never bothered and because I playback with JRiver it automatically adjusts for output. Probably not the best practice recording wise but I suspect the noise floor is pretty low with digital and to be honest I never noticed the difference, unlike tape where you needed as much signal as possible to lessen the hiss.

I just got my hands on a "USBPre1.5" made by Sound Devices, it has an SPDIF input which will bypass the internal mic pre.

CM4g81d.jpg

It also has what appears to be RCA inputs, but not sure they would also bypass the internal pre.

Ey7J2Pw.jpg

Last edited:
I have seen third party drivers kicking around, too many give them away thinking they will not work on 64 bit operating systems. SD has even pointed to it, but does not endorse it of course.

http://www.usb-audio.com/

Maybe you had too much too fast? :D
:beerchug:

Last edited:
Just as a heads-up, performing the A>D conversion at 6 dB under the optimum level (0 dB peak level) corresponds to a recording resolution loss of 1 bit. As to the answer of "is this audible?", of course the answer is "it depends". One is much more likely to hear differences in 16 bit recordings than 20 or 24.

Does this device have native support for DSD audio files?

At the bottom of page 27 in the users manual (posted above) is a date of Feb 3, 1999. DSD was not around back then. Therefore no. I believe it came out not too long after 88.2 and 96 kHz sampling rates became available in portable recording. With this device, you could record to laptop so that is a nice feature. Add some nice mics and you've got a fully portable sweet rig!

Diid not realize how much of a rabbit hole DSD actually is, should probably stick to FLAC! :biggrin:

I have contacted Timo himself and am waiting on a response, I have been trying out his demo driver for OSX Sierra and they partially work but does not detect sound. It does detect that the device is plugged in, sound indicators on the unit itself are showing I am getting feedback from my mic so I don't believe it's a faulty unit.

I will keep this thread updated on my success, worst case scenario I bootcamp 32bit Windows 7.

You might open the unit up and see if everything looks ok. It appears to be good through the preamp, at least with the inputs you used. It seems more likely to be a software issue though.

It has a mic pre built in correct to power an SM7B, hence the name?

I took the easy way around the whole USB thing and just purchased a TASCAM portable digital audio recorder. No USB weirdness to deal with. ;) Line in, SD card recording--move the SD card to your favorite computer to edit and split the recording for digital playback. It's not quite the model I wanted (I really want a DA-3000 as it does DSD), but it does fine for quick needle drops to use on the portable or in the car. :)

Starting to think it's hardware, I got this responce.

"Yes, at least it’s working for a lot of people. Please ignore the “test app”, it’s not supposed to be there.

Also, please make sure you use CoreAudio on sandboxed applications".

I will try loading up in Windows 32 bit before I attempt taking it apart, and will report back on my success.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom