Looking for the WOW factor in a tuner

I already have a few super tuners
Hitachi FT-5500 MKII,
NEC T-710
Marantz ST600
Marantz ST7001
Pioneer F99x
The sound really good but there are not pretty on my eyes, they are so plain

I think the one i likes so far are the Denon TU-767, Akai AT-S55 and mitsubishi da-f30, do you guys know how close is a mitsubishi da-f30 to the super tuner mitsubishi da-f20 ?

I have owned both of those Mits tuners. Of course the state of either one might or might not be comparable to another one you find, but here goes.

The 30 was one of the nicest sounding digital tuners I tried, not quite up to the Revox B160, Yamaha T-85, Akai AT-93, NAD 4300 but very nice and no digital nasties. The 20 was one of the very best sounding tuner I ever had, big soundstage, great resolution of low level detail, smooth, just lovely. I would definitely give the edge to the 20 but the 30 does sound very good and if you do find one they tend to be bargains, not always the case for the better known 20.

I have owned both of those Mits tuners. Of course the state of either one might or might not be comparable to another one you find, but here goes.

The 30 was one of the nicest sounding digital tuners I tried, not quite up to the Revox B160, Yamaha T-85, Akai AT-93, NAD 4300 but very nice and no digital nasties. The 20 was one of the very best sounding tuner I ever had, big soundstage, great resolution of low level detail, smooth, just lovely. I would definitely give the edge to the 20 but the 30 does sound very good and if you do find one they tend to be bargains, not always the case for the better known 20.

Did you do any modifications on the Mit 30 ? does it have automatic selection of filters ?

You want wow factor, wait until you see what the DA-F30 display does when you tune in a station!

Sony ST-SE700. Still one of the best digital tuners pound for pound all these years later.

$_86.JPG

You want wow factor, wait until you see what the DA-F30 display does when you tune in a station!

I go by the sound quality/reception performance personally, but man, that DA-F30 sure looks like a VCR player. Out of the three he mentioned earlier, the Denon TU-767 with the wood side panels is the classiest looking, meets his specs for 5 gang, has wide/narrow selectivity.... might have to find one myself and check out the sound.

Tuners I have currently:

Yamaha T-85 (recapped and filter sockets/filters by me, aligned by RadioX Tuners)
Audio Dynamics T-200 ( same as above)
Pioneer TX-9500II (same as above)
Sony XDR-F1HD (stock except for taller feet)
Yamaha CT-810 (recapped and with filter sockets/new filters)
Kenwood Basic T-2 (same)
Harman/Kardon T-403 (same, but definitely needs an alignment, audible distortion, but very tube-like)
Sherwood S-3000 III (tube, mono, awaiting a rebuild)
Sansui TU-70 (tube, awaiting a rebuild)

You might consider going to fmtunerinfo.com and modifying a vintage unit per their specs. I did this with a Kenwood KT-7550 and it is the best sounding source component I have (assuming a good FM station). I listen to this unti more than anything else by far.

Sherwood S9600 CP. Flywheel tune knob, superb analog tuner, digital display, unusual look, brushed IMG_2344.JPG aluminum finish. Defeatable servo lock tuner. Picture from the January 1982 front cover of High Fidelity. Very good review. $40 on eBay right now.

Attachments

• IMG_2344.JPG
    IMG_2344.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 7
I have had Denons, Kenwoods, but i just love my Sansui TU 717.
I have two in mint condition with basic upgrades, I just can't part with them. Sounds great and gorgous to look at.

Technics ST-G7. Hard to find, spectacular specs. 5 gang (varactor), digital readout, digital signal strength readout in dB, automatic variable bandwidth, 94 dB SN.

Some of these posts, not all, seem to have overlooked the OP's desire for a digital tuner. If you want an analog tuner, there is absolutely no better "looker" than a Marantz 10b.

Back
Top Bottom