Switched back to Sansui

Sansui77

Khosaku Kikuchi's Grandson
Just wondering if any members have or had other brand of amps or other gear in the past but switched back to Sansui and why?

Last edited:
A solid dyed-in-the-wool Sansui man me :) (for 'amplification' at least)

I started out with one or two home built amplifiers (and speakers), but I wanted something better. I remember being asked to repair a Sansui amplifier, an AU-3900 I think it was, and after seeing the internal construction, how nice the controls were, and liking how it sounded I was hooked. I eventually bought an AU-717, although the Technics SU-8080 was also on my short list. I have since collected a few Sansui's, and become quite proficient at repairing and reconditioning them, I can't see myself switching to anything else anytime soon.

I also own a Technics SU-A900 Mk II which I quite like - but it is no match for any of my Sansui's ;)

Last edited:
Well, I'm a McIntosh guy, I don't see myself getting rid of the Mc gear to switch back to Sansui, but I am most certainly going to be adding some Sansui to the arsenal.....
Starting with the G7700 I sold my mate 6 years ago......he's selling it back to me!! This is a good start....
I'm going to freshen it up, align the tuner, get some nice LED in the panel.....
Also going to be adding an AU999 with all my mods, get that one nicely cleaned up, I think that one will be the Bedroom system......nice...I'll add a TU999 to it, love the green in the display....
The G7700 will be the amp I have in my Lab to listen to while I repair and restore.......

Do the 999 Kev, especially with all of your tweaks, and the Stereofun's driver board tweaks. They are very very very impressive. I love my Alpha X-balanced Sansuis, but I'd happily live with a reworked 999.

Yeah I'm actually looking forward to it to be honest, I have one here that has all the bugs, so I'll sort it out and get it running....
I'll also do the Constant Current differential pair mod as well....thats next level stuff...

Yeah I'm actually looking forward to it to be honest, I have one here that has all the bugs, so I'll sort it out and get it running....
I'll also do the Constant Current differential pair mod as well....thats next level stuff...

I had a 999 back in 2011 which I sold due to it sounded hollow with no headroom. When I sold it I was heart broken as I knew it had potential to sound so much better. When I'd seen the mods here on AK, I had to hear what this little bugger can do. It's one of my favorite looking Sansui's too.
I'm so looking forward to hearing the difference once the mods are applied. Got all the parts to do the mods.

Last edited:
I used to dig Luxman - but that was more 80' ties stuff like L- 410 and especially the beefy class A L-550 (which would double as a heater on cold winter nights in Denmark ;-)

Then I emmigrated to the U.S and money was tight.....so I went vintage, and picked up some nice Marantz before prices went haywire: 2285B, 2265, 2245, 2230 - I initially liked the sound of honey, but soon enough realized that I needed some beef too. Enter Sansui 4000.

I still remember my awe after first rigging up this transistor dark age relic in it's brawny dusty wooden sleeve. Heavy, somewhat clumsy looking compared to the pretty Marantz. But once hooked up......well I live in an old six slinger town deep in the Arizona desert - and with that said - a new Sheriff just rode in.

I grew up with my dad's 4000. That's what was in my bedroom when I was sixteen. Man I tortured that thing. When I first got my own home I had all home theater stuff. One day I picked up an old fisher someone couldn't even sell for 20 bucks at a garage sale. I got it free. Once I heard it I was done with the black face reciever. After owning a few classics, my favorite was my hk 730. I was always messing with my dad telling him it would smoke the 4000. One day I came home with the 4000 for the showdown. It was clearly more powerful than the 730. It also just had this sound. More robust and punchy. Something none of my other receivers had. Better build quality as well. These days, I am a sansui guy. Have an Eight Deluxe and an Eight. If I buy any more they will probably be sansui as well. Maybe make the move into tubes one day and get a 1000a.

I was looking for a Pioneer SX-1010 a couple months ago and contacted a guy with one but it had been sold. He offered me a nice looking AU-999. Turned out he is a great tech too. I did some research on it and had him recap and do the mods before it came to me. I've had it about a month now and I'm really enjoying it. It seems to just let the music flow.

in all my years of listening and reading receiver threads, Sansui always seems to have a "wow" above and beyond expectation when switched into temporary, or permanent duty, I am lucky to have a pristine 9090db i purchased about 15 years ago, that comes out and impresses every single time , beyond expectation, big smile !:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Ok, I have a soft spot for the Pioneer sx-939, mine is fully restored and minty minty in the looks department. Ran that side by side against my Sansui 8080db, also fully rebuilt. Very similar sound between the two with ultra low listening due to the loudness contour nod going to the Pioneer. However, the Sansui tuner has far better sensitivity and tonal quality if you still are into fm (I am). Once you wind them up it seems the Pioneer starts to muddy up the detail while the Sansui just gets with the program. In the looks department they are both from the blue dial era and both have led upgrades, essentially a tie until you take a gander at those yellow power meters bopping along. Admittedly I went over the top with the 8080 with a custom flame maple bonnet. Either unit would please many listeners and make a fine audio centerpiece if you are into receivers. Both gals sit on the shop shelves these days though watching their bigger siblings strut their stuff (SX1980 and G9000) but thats a story for another day.
Here they are from a couple of years ago keeping me company while I was restoring an SX-1980.

sx9398080db.JPG

Lol just looked at the original OP's sig line, egads, must be a Sansui shortage in Australia now, what a great collection you have sir :)
Dave, bet those bridged B6's into NS1000's will hold their own against just about anything :beerchug:

Ok, I have a soft spot for the Pioneer sx-939, mine is fully restored and minty minty in the looks department. Ran that side by side against my Sansui 8080db, also fully rebuilt. Very similar sound between the two with ultra low listening due to the loudness contour nod going to the Pioneer. However, the Sansui tuner has far better sensitivity and tonal quality if you still are into fm (I am). Once you wind them up it seems the Pioneer starts to muddy up the detail while the Sansui just gets with the program. In the looks department they are both from the blue dial era and both have led upgrades, essentially a tie until you take a gander at those yellow power meters bopping along. Admittedly I went over the top with the 8080 with a custom flame maple bonnet. Either unit would please many listeners and make a fine audio centerpiece if you are into receivers. Both gals sit on the shop shelves these days though watching their bigger siblings strut their stuff (SX1980 and G9000) but thats a story for another day.
Here they are from a couple of years ago keeping me company while I was restoring an SX-1980.

View attachment 970385

Now THAT'S a great looking wood cover (bonnet) on the 8080 Lee! Remember asking and talking to you about 'custom made wood enclosures' over the years but never heard anything about how and who.

There holding up pretty good.Soon to be a couple bridged M-80's as well.

Egads sir, don't tell me you getting up to hearing aid territory age too, in my case too cheap to invest so rather adjust the decibel increasing device to compensate :)
Btw, now really off topic, could have used your muscles this morning to hoist a 130 pound McIntosh 2300 on to the bench, thank goodness another AK member felt pity on this old guy and stopped by to assist. Dang thing is big as a tank and all sharp edges.

I've had a few but aim to have one of each of my fave brands. I've had a 555a, 517, Eight, 6500, 7500, 9900 and 888. Now I'm just left with my modded 999. Its a fave but I have to say I do love my Accuphase C200 more (for pre-stage anyway).

But if I feel like listening to a solid and very revealing amp, I crack out the 999.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom