Babylon 5

With nothing on TV I've been watching Babylon 5 again. I forgot how good it was. Sad that so many stars from that show are gone now. Last night I watched Cartagia get it, and so did Mr. Morden.
tumblr_inline_mp1bjlvxai1qz4rgp.gif

:p

Hm, I never watched this when it was on. Needing something to watch now that Doctor Who is done for the year, perhaps its time to give it a run.

I loved B5. I like that the entire story line was laid out before filming started. It had a definite beginning, middle and end and was to last for five years, no more, no less. It was written as five books with 13 (I think) chapters in each.

But, after the series ended they tried to go to the well once too often and created a spin off which didn't last. ...thankfully.

Dang! How I want to watch it again myself.

Loved B5. Somewhere @ this TV & Movies forums there exists a L-O-N-G thread that includes mush discussion of B5 and other sci-fi favourites. I think Transmaster might have been the OP of that thread?

Babylon 5 should be seen by all science fiction fans. One of my favorite scenes is when Garabaldi (Jerry Doyle) disappears from the space station. Zack and G'Kar go to Garabaldi's quarters to look for some clues. G'Kar sees a poster of Daffy Duck on the wall and inquires if that is one of Garabaldi's house gods. Look for the YouTube clip for the rest of the scene.

I generally tell friends to watch only the last 4 episodes in the 1st season, and all of the rest. I guess you want to see Delenn as full Minbari and then go through the cocoon transformation, and the arrival of Sheridan. it will start the Shadows story line.
The Make-up was always very good, and the characters were never arch-types but real people with real problems. After watching the whole series through it dawned on me that Londo is to blame for all of it.

The Story of the spin off "Crusade" was TNT cable channel didn't want to run the series but they were under a contract for the it they did everything they could to have an excuse to cancel the show or have the B5 production do something TNT could use to cancel the contract. You can see this when TNT purposely ran the episodes out of order which made for serious continuity problems. If you watch the show in it's intended order it is a whole lot better. Here is a link that spells that out. I have my Crusade file reordered as it should have been.

https://wiki2.org/en/Crusade_(TV_series)#Continuity_problems

watched the first episode last night. I think I like Londo already. His hairdo makes mine look good.

Londo and G'Kar are a great pair, both when they hated each other and later too. You'll find Mr. Garabaldi and Lyta Alexander and Kosh to be pretty neat characters too. Later Mr. Morden and Psi Cop Mr. Bester will be fun. The first season is kinda lame compared to the rest, but by season 3 you'll HAVE to watch every episode.

Best questions:
Vorlon - WHO are you?
Shadows - WHAT do you want?

Oh, and then theirs Zathras.................

watched the first episode last night. I think I like Londo already. His hairdo makes mine look good.

Londo developes into a tragic figure like Prince Hamlet. The character development on B5 is one of the greatest things you will ever see in a Science Fiction production. Comparing B5 with the Star Trek series there is very little character development this was largely the fault of Gene Roddenberry. Only in the last TV Star Trek series "Enterprise" when Gene Roddenberry's dead hand was exorcised were the characters allowed to develop.

Last edited:
Turner (TNT) screwed up Crusade - they kept requesting changes to the concept AS episodes were being filmed - I was watching it as it aired and JMS gave up and walked away -
Its all well-documented on the web ... TNT had no idea what to do with it ...

Read a short tale of what happened here ... (sounds like Fox and SciFi shows like Firefly)
http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2014/06/crusade15-years-sci-fi-hit-never/

And the wankout who was hired for the music - GACK!! the Crusade music was unlistenable!
Then again, the Bab5 music was effectively Tangerine Dream (Chris Franke) so most anything would come off poorly against that.

I loved B5. I like that the entire story line was laid out before filming started. It had a definite beginning, middle and end and was to last for five years, no more, no less. It was written as five books with 13 (I think) chapters in each.

But, after the series ended they tried to go to the well once too often and created a spin off which didn't last. ...thankfully.

Dang! How I want to watch it again myself.

I will never forgive Fox for what they did to "Space Above and Beyond", and don't get me started on "Firefly". I have not watched Fox channel since they screwed over these two show nor will I ever watch Fox.

One of the greatest episodes in the history of TV Science Fiction was the 2 part Episodes #14 Never no More, and #15 "The Angriest Angel" of Space Above and Beyond.

Londo and G'Kar are a great pair, both when they hated each other and later too. You'll find Mr. Garabaldi and Lyta Alexander and Kosh to be pretty neat characters too. Later Mr. Morden and Psi Cop Mr. Bester will be fun. The first season is kinda lame compared to the rest, but by season 3 you'll HAVE to watch every episode.

Best questions:
Vorlon - WHO are you?
Shadows - WHAT do you want?

Oh, and then theirs Zathras.................
I had a picture of Zathras outside my cubicle at work.

The caption read:
"Nobody listens to poor Zathras. Zathras talks to dirt. Or to walls, or talks to ceilings. But dirt is closer."

Sadly Tim Choate died in a motorcycle accident.
Stephen Biggs died of a massive heart attack.
Stephen Furst died from complications of diabetes.
Andreas Katsulas Died from lung cancer.
Jerry Doyle died from alcohol use (long term)
Michael O'Hare took his own life.
Robin Sachs(Hedronn, Na'Tok etc) Died from heart failure. He was also Sarris in Galaxy Quest.
There are probably others further down the cast list.

Londo developes into a tragic figure like Prince Hamlet. The character development on B5 is one of the greatest things you will ever see in a Science Fiction production.

so I just finished watching the whole series last night. I have to agree with this. I honestly felt bad for the guy by the end. I think him and G'Kar were probably my favorite two from the series overall.

Some of the characters really had a significant change over the course of the show. One thing that I will say that greatly impressed me is the fact that it had a cohesive arc across 5 years of running. Things that were mentioned in the first season came to fruition in the last. Rarely do you see that kind of thing. In a lot of shows you hardly see things from one episode carry to the next, let alone across multiple seasons.

Sadly Tim Choate died in a motorcycle accident.
Stephen Biggs died of a massive heart attack.
Stephen Furst died from complications of diabetes.
Andreas Katsulas Died from lung cancer.
Jerry Doyle died from alcohol use (long term)
Michael O'Hare took his own life.
Robin Sachs(Hedronn, Na'Tok etc) Died from heart failure. He was also Sarris in Galaxy Quest.
There are probably others further down the cast list.

I'm sad to know that all these have died. Remember what Londo once called Vir? "A round-faced assassin of joy." Vir had the best moment in B5, IMHO, as illustrated in post #2.

Back
Top Bottom