Poultrygeist's systems continue to evolve

I know the following might sound like overkill for a medium sized room but I'm trying to utilize a lot of what I've collected over the years.

The sources I use in this room at the moment include an iMac, two DACs ( Schiit Modi MB and Audio GD NFB 12 ), two Chrome Cast Audio streamers, two SACD players ( Marantz SA8004 and Sony SCD-CE595 ), Apple TV, Technics SL-1300 turn table ( Jolida JD9 phono preamp, and Shure M97xe ), Panasonic DMP-BDT210 blu-ray and Sansui analog tuner.

Amps/preamps used in the room include Bottlehead 2a3 mono-blocks/Bottlehead Foreplay III, Volt+ TPA3118/Nobsound NS-O1P, TPA3116 green board/SainSmart and Miniwatt APPJ S1. Power supplies are linear regulated from Astron and Pyramid.

OB speakers include flat baffle Lowther DX-3's and Zenith over H-frames. Full range single drivers are the Tekton Fostex 4.5 bass reflex alternating with Frugal Horn MkIII's. Overnight Sensations and Dayton Airs sometimes rotate in an out.

Subs ( not counting OB woofers ) are two bucket subs and two Daytons.

The heart of a fourth system resides behind the door of the left built-in cabinet and it consists of an old Marantz Model 1150 powering d-room Pioneer BoFu speakers and porch Axioms/Marcato outdoor sub. It's sources includes a Sony SACD changer and tuner.

Next is the garage systems but we won't go there. :)

Last edited:
P1010032_1.jpg

You are gonna need to change your avatar! :D

For several years I've read with interest all the buzz surrounding vintage Magnavox amps which are usually harvested from old consoles. I saw this Dennis Had EL84 Magnavox single ended amp on the auction site and scooped it up. It has the original iron and chassis but everything else has been updated including mods to the circuit. This one uses a single 7308 rather than a 12AX7 preamp tube. It only makes 4 wpc but those few watts sound really special. The color Dennis says is "Jaguar Almond". FWIW Dennis Had is the founder of Cary Audio and was chief engineer there so he knows his way around tube amps. The single ended Magnavox amps are not as common as the more powerful push pulls which can be easily identified by their four EL-84 vs the two for the SE versions. It's easy though to mistake the SE for the mono versions which also have two EL84 tubes. For the time being I'm really enjoying the little Magnavox with the big Zenith speakers. So just like it says in the song, "Everything Old Is New Again". :biggrin:

Last edited:
I can only imagine how good your amp must sound. I can't get enough of my "new" Maggie which has had only minimal restoration done. They do indeed have some magic in their DNA.

Ross,

I'm neglecting my 2a3 SET Bottleheads as the Maggie is that good. Hopefully I can learn new ways of posting pictures since PB screwed me over.

Ross,

I'm neglecting my 2a3 SET Bottleheads as the Maggie is that good. Hopefully I can learn new ways of posting pictures since PB screwed me over.

Yes, I went to look at a picture of your amp again, among other things, but can no longer see them. Not good, we all enjoy your photos.

Maybe old school? It's thick and heavy duty.

Dennis says these old console maggies have "plenty of reserve power transformer horse power". Rebuilding the Magnavox "inspired" Dennis to start his retirement amp business. That's where he came up with the name Inspire.

Back
Top Bottom