Phono-Stage Question

WntrMute2

I recently purchased a Cary SLP-98 with phono-stage. Unfortunately one channel is complete silent. The seller is willing to pay for repairs at Cary so that isn't the issue. What I want to do is confirm that the channel doesn't work with another source. Can I plug the output from a CD player or a outboard phono stage into the phono input without hurting the electronics? I know it won't sound correct but if I still do not hear any output at all it will confirm the problem.
Thanks

Greetings; Why not just ask the seller if he switched the phono leads LR to RL to confirm said issue. (assuming you don't have a TT)

He said it was working fine when he shipped. I have switched the phono leads and the problem remains in the same channel. Swapped tubes as well and the silent channel remained the same. Swapped pre to amp leads and the silent channel moved so this points to the new to me preamp. I am wanting to know if a few seconds of CD input to the phono-stage portion of the Cary will damage anything. Thanks for your help though.

output from a CD player is much higher than a turntable, roughly 1 volt vs probably around 0.003 volts. If you happen to have an inverse RIAA network laying around you can do it though. Maybe an ipod or something at very low volume will serve. CD players tend to be pretty hot on the output.

If you've tried reversing the phono leads and the problem doesn't move, I'm fairly comfortable saying the problem is in the preamp.

I'm pretty confidant that the problem is in the preamp also but before I send the unit off for weeks and at considerable expense I wanted to run a couple of additional checks.

I send the unit off for weeks and at considerable expense

then IMO you should get your money back or he they (seller pays for repair expense or cost to ship back to seller or get repaired properly.

Don't f' around. eboy seller? what ever? It's a two way contract. "it was working bla bla blah. Then he screwed up on the shipping. imo get full refund and keep it or seller pays for shipping back. perhaps both parties would pay % to get satisfaction. no insurance etc. ?

^ The seller has offered to either refund all my money including shipping both ways or have it repaired at Cary at his expense including shipping. Seller has been perfect! I could just send it back but I wanted to explore the repair option a bit more. I am not asking for recommendations as to how to handle the transaction. Just whether I would hurt something plugging a source such as a CD player into the phono stage except possibly, my ears. I want to say again, the seller has been perfectly willing to do anything to make the sale right!

Use an MP3 player, phone, ipod or something else where the output is adjustable. Turn the output of the alternate source down to absolute zero. Start the playback and turn up the volume to a normal setting on the preamp. SLOWLY bring up the volume on the source until you get an output. Run the balance back and forth to confirm or refute the dead channel. Lower the volume on the source back to zero, shut everything down then decide on the repair or return issue. Don't use a fixed output high level source for this.

Shelly_D

Back
Top Bottom