A working CT-F1250, leave it alone?

cuda440

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
The CT-F1250 I picked up on ebay last fall (my first piece in what will someday be a complete Pioneer system), was supposed to be outfitted with new rubber by the seller, but it was not. He sent me the standard set of belts and being pretty handy, I had no trouble (and rather enjoyed) doing the work myself, especially with YouTube's guidance. I even duplicated the late Mr. Possche's procedures for refurbishing the clutches. It works just fine.

Should I go to the next level and start replacing electronics, like some of the caps and perhaps some transistors? I understand it's better to do this kind of work on amplifiers before parts go bad and take other down with them, but does that apply here?

Thanks for looking.

Mike.

If you are comfortable with recapping, the power supply should be safe to tackle, but changing other caps in the bias and amplification circuits will likely require a recalibration. Not really a do-it-yourself job unless you have access to the specialized equipment required and a fair amount of knowledge/experience.

If you are comfortable with recapping, the power supply should be safe to tackle, but changing other caps in the bias and amplification circuits will likely require a recalibration. Not really a do-it-yourself job unless you have access to the specialized equipment required and a fair amount of knowledge/experience.
Quoted for truth. ^^

Enjoy,
Rich P

I have an EE degree and a good deal of experience in electronics assembly, soldering, etc., and I can read a schematic, but I have no analog troubleshooting chops at all (digital, yes). Other than a DVM and my trusty Weller iron, I have no scope, function generator, etc. (though this could be a great excuse to outfit my bench), so I should probably hold off on the advanced class for now and start with the power supply.

Any other pointers would be appreciated.

Again, thanks for the help.

Mike.

Tape machine calibration is a specialty, skill, and somewhat of an art. Special test tapes, knowledge and equipment are required. Some tuning can be done by ear, but, likely, tapes made on your machine will sound poor on other machines, and tapes made on other machines will sound poor on yopurs. When you are ready, I can make a few suggestions, but you will have to commit, and that is a bit more than most folks with a single machine to do are willing to invest.

Remember that a single solder bridge, splash, or cap in backwards can blow fuses. Troubleshooting such can be a major pain for experienced techs. Just be very careful, yea, even anal, and you should be fine...with the power supply. Calibration has likely drifted over the years, but nothing like what could happen to calibration with wholesale 'lytic replacement. I recommend such replacement, but only on machines that have been restored to full function. 'Lytic replacement is a shot at longevity, not a repair operation. Power supply caps will likely be the most stressed, so you should get best bang for your buck there.

REport back when done. We will be pulling for you.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom