Lets see all them Amplifiers!

I've been repairing,restoring,collecting and playing Ampeg's for too many years to count (or admit to!). This is my living room rumbler,a 1965 B18L (factory JBL 18'') keeping my 61 Precision company. I have a bit of a ''thing'' for fliptops:)

DSCF2337.JPG

Here's my home built clones... 1st is a Supro 1624T,,, 2nd Champ 5F1,,, 3rd Champ 5C1....
Working on a Rickenbacker B-9A clone now... I'll start a thread in the Tube forum when all the parts are gathered...
Nice thread!!!

Attachments

• PA010032.JPG
    PA010032.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 19
  • PA010034.JPG
    PA010034.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 17
  • PA010035.JPG
    PA010035.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 16
  • PA010030.JPG
    PA010030.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 15
Something different here than your typical Fenders and Marshalls
...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand that's all you're going to tell us????
more info Please
That looks so Cool 50's Space Age, BTW:thumbsup:

edit: so it's a Mesa/Boogie eh? The look reminds me of those 50's small PA heads.

Last edited:
Something different here than your typical Fenders and Marshalls
...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand that's all you're going to tell us????
more info Please
That looks so Cool 50's Space Age, BTW:thumbsup:

edit: so it's a Mesa/Boogie eh? The look reminds me of those 50's small PA heads.

Yes, it is a Mesa Boogie and I never thought I'd have anything this good! It is a Transatlantic 15, made for just a few years. I think this model was replaced by the Transatlantic 30, which has an effects loop and reverb, IIRC, and is also much more expensive. I got mine used from the original owner, with bag, foot switch and power cord. He said he replaced the tubes once with Mesa Boogie tubes. Apparently, Mesa Boogie has very stringent QC on all tubes they install and brand. One benefit is if I only use Mesa tubes, I will never have to worry about biasing, as it is a fixed value in their designs.

Mine is a true two channel amp with 5 modes - clean and top boost (Box) on channel one, Tweed (Fender), high gain 1 (Marshall) and high gain 2 (Mesa). I can run each channel independently at 5 watts single ended class A, 15 watts pp class a, or 25 watts pp class a-b with some kind of proprietary circuitry involved at 25 watts. 2 12ax7 and 2 el34 are the tube compliment.

The clean channel (Vox) has a knob that when pushed in acts like a Vox tone cut; when pulled, it acts like a master volume for that channel. Each channel has its own tone stack, gain and master. It also has a standby switch, and the channels can be switched from the front of the head or by the footswitch. The clean jewel (led) is green on the amp, the high gain channel is red, also on the footswitch. Finally, this thing only goes 12lbs!

I was looking closely at the VHT 12/20 Special head, which looks really impressive and can be had, used, for around $400, non reverb/tremolo model. I got my Mesa Boogie for $500. I do wish it had an effects loop, but I couldn't justify the cost of the bigger model - I'm not a good player at all, but I have fun! I did splurge on a brand new Neunaber Immerse reverb pedal - it is a superb effects unit.

I am very excited about how this sounds. I have a good 112 cabinet with a Celestion and a rotary 212 cabinet, loaded with a pair of Eminence speakers. I think the head sounds best with the 112 so far.

Figured it was about time to re-visit my epic thread...LOL...
I recently picked up this Airline 9010 2x12 amp.
It is very close to the Gretsch 6159; both were made by Valco of course. This 9010 uses 7027 outputs, whereas the Gretsch uses 6L6GC's.

Many Airline amps you see are lower-end/"mid-fi", but this must have been their TOTL offering in '61.
Never seen another tweed Airline :)
It sounds unreal and the tremolo is something to behold. Someday I'll get around to dusting it off inside and at least replacing the multi-section filter cap.

Airline9010a.jpg

Airline9010b.jpg

Whew... that's a heck of an amp! Love the finger joints telegraphing through the tweed. They don't make 'em like that anymore!

I have a couple nicer amps around but I've been playing this tweed Peavey Classic 30 a lot lately. Budget-friendly NOS tubes and a Weber Michigan speaker spruced it up a bit. Nice clean tone and works well with lower gain pedals.

Here's a project I recently completed. It's my '72 Silverface Fender Champ. I'm the original owner from new. I recapped the amp, installed NOS tubes, rebiased the amp to what I felt is more reasonable for my use (42ma). I commissioned a custom cabinet from Armadillo Amp Works sized to hold a 12" speaker, and had it covered in Tweed with brown grille cloth. I black faced the chassis to go with the cabinet. The speaker is a custom Ted Weber 12", 3.2 ohm Alnico.

I could not be happier with it!
34811657644_41bb74d5a3_z.jpg

34811658084_5b6c208263_z.jpg

35522513861_1ef5757bd4_z.jpg

35265635560_92ccf308dc_z.jpg

Hey all! I'm very new to the forums and am just beginning my audio journey. I, however, have keen on my bass rig journey for quite some time now!IMG_3173.JPGIMG_3174.JPGIMG_3175.JPGIMG_3176.JPG
Head is the genz benz GBE 1200 and the cabbis an avatar speakers 412 NEO

Nothing like MOTS! Any idea what, if any, the original graphic was? The one I had was palm trees but I've seen a few different stencils. Looks like it's in really nice shape too with what appears to be the original speaker?
Not sure on the graphic. I have an idea but I'll have to search it out again. Yes the pearloid is excellent and from what I can tell the speaker is original. It has codes on it but I'll have to get in there for a shot. I am friendly with the seller and he said everything was good didn't even need caps. Just a cleaning and testing. Cord is original as well, but in excellent shape.

Back
Top Bottom