Today's JAZZ playlist

Hank Mobley - Roll Call (RVG Edition) -

71%2BKsGbgwOL._SL1300_.jpg

Eric

Illinois Jacquet- Genius at Work! Recorded at Ronnie Scott Club London on Black Lion in 1971.
Illinois Jacquet on Tenor, Milt Buckner-organ and Tony Crombie- drumsView attachment 968138
Well damn. Before the end of side 1 I noticed that the music was sounding lifeless. Started out good. Went to my #1 system and all is well. I hope the evg stylus on my m93 just has a glob of junk on it. Not gonna mess with it tonight. :music:

Illinois Jacquet- Genius at Work! Recorded at Ronnie Scott Club London on Black Lion in 1971.
Illinois Jacquet on Tenor, Milt Buckner-organ and Tony Crombie- drumsView attachment 968138

Some of the greatest listening experiences I had were when I went to see Illinois Jacquet. I saw him many times with his quartet, and then later with his big band. Even met him a couple of times. What was so thrilling about watching Jacquet, is that you were watching one of the great tenors who was in that very select club of players with guys like Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, Don Byas, and Lester Young. Jacquet was a HEAVY HITTER. He was one of the guys who put the tenor on the map. And what was wild, is that he was born later than the other guys, so if you saw him in the late 1970's, he was only 56 and in his PRIME. He was something else...

Just came back from a live performance with Christian Tamburr playing vibes. Unfortunately he was directing a band featuring Clint Holmes, the "King of Schmaltz". One has to ask why he gave up this great quartet:
to be musical director for a guy like Clint? I guess Vegas ($$$) truly does change people.
Anyways, home now listening to the quartet stuff.

Last edited:
Don't you hate that? But this has a good side, you get to go look for more music:)
Yes I do. Seems way to common these days, but that's a whole other discussion.
But yes you are correct. The vinyl jazz is slim aside from this and who ever ordered every Nina Simone album on the planet. Literally. Half the jazz records where Nina Simone. Very frustrating. But I will find something else. I always do. :biggrin: On a good note the limited edition Lightning Hopkins album was perfect.

I'm a little slow. Dudley Moore the pianist is Dudley Moore the actor/comedian.
You should see his stuff when he was part of 'Beyond the Fringe' in the early 60's. If it weren't for them, there would have been no Monty Python. I'll never forget the bit where he played a one-legged man auditioning with Peter Cook for the role of Tarzan. Then later I saw him play a concert at the Hollywood Bowl and was like.. whoa..What??. Quite a talented man.

Yes I do. Seems way to common these days, but that's a whole other discussion.
But yes you are correct. The vinyl jazz is slim aside from this and who ever ordered every Nina Simone album on the planet. Literally. Half the jazz records where Nina Simone. Very frustrating. But I will find something else. I always do. :biggrin: On a good note the limited edition Lightning Hopkins album was perfect.
Rasputins Modesto had a ton of Nina Simone also. They also had 1 Lee Morgan, Jimmy Smith- Back to the Chicken Shack and I can't remember what else. Lots of artists name dividers but not much vinyl. Back on Record Store Day they were stocked up. Hope they are selling but I suspect they are having trouble with distributors. Lots of Rock titles though. At least 30 blues titles in stock. On checkout I asked if they carried MoFi inner sleeves. Nope, but she said she would bring in some poly-lined sleeves for me to look at. Next time I'll ask about reordering the Jazz titles.

Back
Top Bottom