The definition of insanity.

What is the best streaming outfit for both auditioning new music and discovery of new music?

• Total voters
Apple Music is the only service that isn’t starting out with zero information when you first sign up. It has you select bubbles with genres you like, love, or hate and then narrows down artists. It gives it a big advantage out of the gate. Their “For You” section is typically better than the others, in my experience, because of this initial setup.

Apple Music is the only service that isn’t starting out with zero information when you first sign up. It has you select bubbles with genres you like, love, or hate and then narrows down artists. It gives it a big advantage out of the gate. Their “For You” section is typically better than the others, in my experience, because of this initial setup.
Any penalty you know of for running AM on Windows hardware? I may give it a try at then end of the free month with Spotify. I have to say that I actually got it to spit out some half way decent music I had not heard before. That to me is worth the $10 and then I can stream it until I decide I have to own it.. Still find the interface clunky compared to JR and the sound wasn't as good either but good enough for working on the house and having new music being introduced to me. The experience wasn't half bad!

I dont know much about this stuff. I voted for pandora because my wife uses it and i listened to it all day when i hooked her ipad up the stereo. The sound quality was really good. The playlists were accurate and i heard a few things i had never heard before and liked them. I created a paul desmond playlist and it was all good. Ditto the joabim playlist and the bronski beat playlist. My wife took a shower and when she came back into the living room she accused me of immediately shit canning her ipad the minute she got in the shower and putting on a record or CD. No hon....its still your playlist. It actually sounded that good!

Last edited:
Nope. I haven't found anything yet that I'm looking for that Tidal has failed to provide.

So you are claiming Tidal has a good offering of new release classical?

and you find everything you look for on Tidal?

We live in two different universes.

There's no arguing the audio quality, it's simply fantastic.

It's fine.

I see it's more than just components that you feel you are the final arbiter of.

So you are claiming Tidal has a good offering of new release classical?

and you find everything you look for on Tidal?

We live in two different universes.

It's fine.

I see it's more than just components that you feel you are the final arbiter of.

I said for me and the music I enjoy it offers everything I have searched for. Never once did I say anything about the classical genre on Tidal. Please fully read postings before jumping to a response. Not all of us enjoy classical. That does not mean that we are less into music or that we should be discredited.

I like how you appear to be chasing me around the forum. That's fine, I will reply every time. :lurk:

I said for me and the music I enjoy it offers everything I have searched for. Never once did I say anything about the classical genre on Tidal. Please fully read postings before jumping to a response. Not all of us enjoy classical. That does not mean that we are less into music or that we should be discredited.

I like how you appear to be chasing me around the forum. That's fine, I will reply every time. :lurk:

read the thread, you replied to my post that was classical specific.

In your response you flat out called me a liar by saying "Nope."

19959376_1562337853812843_1105656806955059459_n.jpg

If you don't listen to classical then why did you dispute what I said, call me a liar?

Chasing you around the forum?

Trust me, you are not important enough to "chase around a forum,."

I guess this is just your subjective opinion? lol

FYI, the thread that led to this one I was all over but if your ego needs to think I followed you, you think that.

Back on topic, what is it you listen too that Tidal always has it? Pop/Rap and recent stuff seems to be their strong suit.

I have come across scores of things outside of classical that it does not have. I find it's limitations frustrating.

Last edited:
Mostly (and I ain't sayin' "always"), if I'm looking for something that Tidal doesn't have, Spotify won't have either. Or Pandora.

Tidal had most of what I asked for material wise although the playlists weren't much. They did seem to have a Rap tilt to it. My biggest gripe wasn't what was offered, but the interface. This is what I am finding with the other streaming outfits I have tried so far. I am used to way more ways to present and play music with JRiver, the limitation there is just the amount of music I own. I keep looking for another level, a hidden door for those who want more than just an Itunes like player. I keep finding brick walls where there should be ways to fine tune and listen to the music I want at that point in time. It just isn't there, at least I haven't found it. Glorified Radio, that would be selling streaming short, but there really is so much more they could be doing with it. I think possibly they are concerned that adding too much complexity will frighten off the masses who don't like software they have to "learn". Simple is fine, mandatory for many, and when it is elegant, it can be very good, but when it is simply dumbed down then I lose patience.

I have been reading over on the JRiver Media Center forums where there is a lot of pressure to make JRiver work with streaming, but their response is that the streaming outfits are making it exceedingly difficult to do that. Too bad because speaking for some including me, I would be a loyal streaming subscriber to whoever would allow me to use JRivers tool set to fully access online streaming, integrated with my own music, the best of all worlds!! I don't know why this has to be the way it is. Glorified radio, no it is more than that but in some ways not much better than my old Yamaha tuner..

read the thread, you replied to my post that was classical specific.

In your response you flat out called me a liar by saying "Nope."

19959376_1562337853812843_1105656806955059459_n.jpg

If you don't listen to classical then why did you dispute what I said, call me a liar?

Chasing you around the forum?

Trust me, you are not important enough to "chase around a forum,."

I guess this is just your subjective opinion? lol

FYI, the thread that led to this one I was all over but if your ego needs to think I followed you, you think that.

Back on topic, what is it you listen too that Tidal always has it? Pop/Rap and recent stuff seems to be their strong suit.

I have come across scores of things outside of classical that it does not have. I find it's limitations frustrating.

This thread was originally intended as an open discussion of various streaming service. I responded and voice my preference for Tidal. You did inquire as to whether I was listening to classical. My response was "nope" as in no I don't listen to classical, but have found everything I enjoy. I'm not sure why it couldn't have been left at that, unless you felt offended by my response to you aggressive replies in another thread. I never called you a liar; you should probably read things twice and calm down before responding. Call it whatever you like; however, I find it ironic the timing in which you chose to respond to to my earlier post in this thread. If I'm so unimportant you certainly felt responding to me was important. I do not not have an ego issue, but you show signs of complacency.

Moving on to your back on topic question. I listen to a broad range of music that ranges from blues, jazz, folk, and most everything in between. I never listen to pop or rap. Yes, that content is very visible on Tidal, and that stands to reason as Jay-Z started Tidal. I was initially turned off by what appear to be a heavy focus on Rap and Pop. That was until I took a deeper dive and gave the service a try.

Any penalty you know of for running AM on Windows hardware? I may give it a try at then end of the free month with Spotify. I have to say that I actually got it to spit out some half way decent music I had not heard before. That to me is worth the $10 and then I can stream it until I decide I have to own it.. Still find the interface clunky compared to JR and the sound wasn't as good either but good enough for working on the house and having new music being introduced to me. The experience wasn't half bad!
I haven’t run it on Windows, but I doubt it works with Cortana like it does with Siri. It may be worth a trial, if you care about recommendations, though.

This thread was originally intended as an open discussion of various streaming service. I responded and voice my preference for Tidal. You did inquire as to whether I was listening to classical. My response was "nope" as in no I don't listen to classical, but have found everything I enjoy. I'm not sure why it couldn't have been left at that, unless you felt offended by my response to you aggressive replies in another thread. I never called you a liar; you should probably read things twice and calm down before responding. Call it whatever you like; however, I find it ironic the timing in which you chose to respond to to my earlier post in this thread. If I'm so unimportant you certainly felt responding to me was important. I do not not have an ego issue, but you show signs of complacency.

lol, you do make me laugh... nearly peed myself

(note, knowing "how you are" I gave you last word in the other thread, think about it)

I listen to a broad range of music that ranges from blues, jazz, folk, and most everything in between. I never listen to pop or rap.

are you sure?

Last edited:
I haven’t run it on Windows, but I doubt it works with Cortana like it does with Siri. It may be worth a trial, if you care about recommendations, though.
In my quest to find the best stream for both auditioning and discovery I am going to try apple music at some point, I like that you can illuminate globally any group that you know you will never listen to. Can that be done at any time or just the initial setup? I know I am likely never to listen to heuy Louis and the news and many many others but I may not be able to remember all of them at initial startup.

In my quest to find the best stream for both auditioning and discovery I am going to try apple music at some point, I like that you can illuminate globally any group that you know you will never listen to. Can that be done at any time or just the initial setup? I know I am likely never to listen to heuy Louis and the news and many many others but I may not be able to remember all of them at initial startup.
You can access the tab for "choose artists for you" at any time ( at least on iOS and in iTunes on the Mac). You can't just type in "Huey Lewis", though. It gives you the opportunity to pick genres and eliminate genres and then it narrows down from there by providing artists in those genres and letting you say whether you like them or dislike them.

Of course, you can let them know when you dislike/like a suggestion or any album on their service. I don't think you can just dislike Huey Lewis, unless he is an option during the initial setup. You can go to his page and dislike every one of his albums at any time, though. Also, you can "follow" artists you like, so those artists will have a greater possibility of showing up in your suggestions.

In other words, the initial setup (which you can access later) gives them more information about your tastes during the initial setup than other services (unless other services have since adopted the feature). However, you build on that initial information as you use the application, similar to other services.

I don't think you can just dislike Huey Lewis,
Not that I dislike Huey Lewis, but I am long past done listening to him.. Ever since I drove 2200 miles from Fairbanks to Seattle, with one tape, you guessed it, Huey Lewis! I didn't "Want a New Drug" so much as a new tape by the time I was 300 miles into the trip!

Huey Lewis and the News will be appearing here (in Kingsport) soon and I have the opportunity to miss the entire show! :thumbsup: :D

The results of this poll were a little different than I was expecting. Spotify has 43%, Tidal nearly half of that and the rest are small numbers. I was really surprised that Apple didn't have a better showing, and I sort of thought before that it would beat the others but I guess not. Could be a trend that just extends to the AK demographic or perhaps it hasn't fully taken off yet. I am sure AM is quite popular in the GP however. Amazon Unlimited didn't get any votes so far. In a way it has some features that the others don't such as lyrics that scroll with the music, that is a pretty slick thing I suppose, except I rarely focus on a screen while listening to music. So I just voted myself, and while I have not tried Apple yet, so far from what I have used, Spotify wins the criteria of this thread.

Tidal for me as the best compromise between availabilty and sound quality (I use the lossless HiFi spread).

I do enjoy classical, but prefer listening to that genre in high resolution.

Tidal for me as the best compromise between availabilty and sound quality (I use the lossless HiFi spread).

I do enjoy classical, but prefer listening to that genre in high resolution.
I prefer listening in at least lossless myself but for the purpose of this poll I went with Spotify as the best for "auditioning and discovery" because when I find the time to do this I am engaged in something else and not really critical listening but either trying to decide if I want to buy a CD or otherwise looking for new material to buy. I suppose the argument could be made for auditioning for high SQ but it seems to me with all the remasters I probably wouldn't be listening to the same as what the streaming company used.

I mainly use Spotify, but Pandora seems to select better music on their "channel" than the "radio" on Spotify.

I've been using Spotify for a couple years and like it. I pay for the premium and have it on my phone and 3 computers. I like the artist radio and the suggested playlists based upon my searches. Some of the titles are unimpressive, but it certainly is car radio fine for audition, and casual listening. I don't need main rig quality on the road, at my workplace or for floating in the pool.

If I don't buy 1 new piece of music a month because an audition turned me off, I've covered my subscription.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom