Phil Keaggy - A (not so brief) Discography

Recently I was given a 22 song set of Phil Keaggy demos from the Love Broke Thru album - some songs that did not ever make it to the album. Let me know if you are interested in hear them....and I can send you one or two good ones in an email.

In regard to Time, I have always liked this quote:

The whole world of Christian music changed in 7 minutes. That is how long it takes for “Time” to finish. The only complaint is that it would be too short tat twice the length. Time is the “Free Bird” of Christian music and is phenomenal, kicking rock song in or out of CCM. As mentioned previously, it was unheard of for an artist to have an extended instrumental break, but one lasting 4 minutes was border line sacrilege! And it was still WAY TOO SHORT! Fortunately the live version deals with that problem.

The instrumental solo give and take of Omartian, Knechtel and Keaggy – along with an impressive horn section – is utterly brilliant. But it’s ultimately about Keaggy’s guitar work which just soars and glides and lifts and dives. it is so powerful, stirring and majestic no review can really justify. It is guitar work like this that started the urban legends that have haunted Keaggy.It is not just the blazing speed, but the Keaggy trademark of finger the sustain control with his pinky while playing the lead, creating the original wah-wah sound he is noted for.

Yes, Love Broke Thru would be next in line, having come out in 1976. The song the album was named after was written by Keith Green and Randy Stonehill. From what I understand, Phil asked Keith if he could use the song on his album - and Keith lovingly obliged. Keith Green also recorded the song on his album as well as Stonehill. Some softer songs on this one....still pop songs and definitely more of a rock album than What A Day was...but Time has some pick me up. My favorite song on the album is probably Take Me Closer, which really displayed Phil's guitar work. Keaggy would use Time in many of his concerts, expanding on the sound and having long guitar solos to make the song 8-12 minutes at "times".

Here's an excellent example of his song Time....probably watched this a hundred times and so thankful it was made available for viewing on youtube. You need to all watch this.

I completely dig how Phil was able to snag this guy to play bass on 'Time' and lay down the track for the LP.

1200px-Leland_Sklar_2017.jpg

Maybe you have inside info on how that relationship happened????

I knew nothing about Phil before this. I picked up about 30 early progress rock albums at a garage sale near by. After reading this, I'm pretty sure I saw It makes me glad by Glass Harp there.
I might have to swing back by and see if that is indeed what I saw, if so I'll pick it up. Thanks for the write up!

I knew nothing about Phil before this. I picked up about 30 early progress rock albums at a garage sale near by. After reading this, I'm pretty sure I saw It makes me glad by Glass Harp there.
I might have to swing back by and see if that is indeed what I saw, if so I'll pick it up. Thanks for the write up!

Yes, that would be a good decision! Glad you enjoyed this! I will continue with more soon. I've had an insane busy month.

Commercial Break:

Phil Keaggy hasn't done but one or two "music videos", if you will....most of the video of him is only concert footage....however, I was just pointed to this one from 1993 - this song was off his album Crimson & Blue, titled I Will Be There....very Paul McCartney-esque.....take a listen

1976 - Love Broke Thru - quite an album.....here's the story behind how Phil was able to use the song, which Keith Green wrote:

"At the time Keaggy was recording Love Broke Thru, aided by the production skills of 2nd Chapter of Acts' Buck Herring, he was living in a Christian commune in upstate New York. Keaggy recalled in CCM Magazine presents 100 Greatest Songs In Christian Music how he came across this tune: "I was working on my second solo album with Buck as the producer and engineer, and we were sitting around sorting through songs and discussing our time frame. So in bounces this guy, Keith Green, and it was great. He was so full of life, full of Jesus, full of song."
Herring introduced Keaggy to Green and the smiling songwriter said he had a new song that he wanted to play for the singer/guitarist. Keaggy recounted: "We went into one of the extra bedrooms and he sat down at the piano and played 'Love Broke Thru,' smiling the whole time and looking directly into my eyes. Buck told me that he really thought I should do it on my new album, and I said, 'I'd love to - what a beautiful song!' So I did. We went in and cut the track and then did the vocals. Keith personally taught me the song; he wrote it all out for me and we actually used his handwritten lyric sheet taped up by the microphone when I sang it. It's a really good memory. I had such a great deal of respect for him as an artist, and I still do today."

Personally I have always enjoyed Phil's version of the song much more than Keith's although his also has it's strengths. Keith Green died in an airplane crash in 1980, btw, during the peak of his career.

Anyhow, Love Broke Thru was a great album, varying in styles greatly. Some be-bopping songs like Take Me Closer, which is my favorite from the album, to the ballad Your Love Broke Thru. Just the Same has some good electric guitar work, and I'll include that song here:

Then there is the song "As the Ruin Falls" is basically words from C.S. Lewis put to music, as Phil is a big fan of C.S. Lewis:

All this is flashy rhetoric about loving you.
I never had a selfless thought since I was born.
I am mercenary and self-seeking through and through:
I want God, you, all friends, merely to serve my turn.

Peace, re-assurance, pleasure, are the goals I seek,
I cannot crawl one inch outside my proper skin:
I talk of love –a scholar’s parrot may talk Greek–
But, self-imprisoned, always end where I begin.

Only that now you have taught me (but how late) my lack.
I see the chasm. And everything you are was making
My heart into a bridge by which I might get back
From exile, and grow man. And now the bridge is breaking.

For this I bless you as the ruin falls. The pains
You give me are more precious than all other gains.

Surgery went well and he is healing up. I sent him a fan letter for the first time along with a gift and hoping it makes it to him! I sent it to his daughter who is mutual friends with a buddy of mine from junior high as well as college, so looks promising!

A good friend of mine who has been collecting Keaggy stuff since the early 80s (about the time I was born) sent me a link to download a concert that occurred in Erie, Pennsylvania back in April of 1981. This concert was recorded with amazing sound and clarity. In total the concert is over 2.5 hours long and includes some amazing Keaggy riffs and extended solos. A mix of acoustic and electric, he performed with a full band and it's just incredible. HE said I am free to pass it on to whoever, so if you want a copy of the concert on two CDs, I'll burn them for you and send you a set at no charge. Just send me your mailing address in a PM.

The final two songs, Sunday School and Time take up 10+ minutes and 26+ minutes respectively and are worth the price of admission. Never heard his version of Time quite like this.

Back
Top Bottom