SA-8100 protection circuit issue

looks like the problem ls around q1 q2 then .
Thanks Pete, that is interesting, since those are the new ones I put in. Would you suggest I replace them? Is it possible the 992s I put in there are not exact replacements for the 726?

No, they are in correct. I followed the data sheet and the marks on the board when I put them in. They are 180 degrees from how the 726s were.

At this point I may just put the 726s back in to see if I can get back to where I started. I checked them with the diode setting on my digital multimeter and they all gave the same signals base to emitter and base to collector, base negative and the other two positive.

voltage readings q1 q3 BCE would be good to see . all reference chassis ground .

Last edited:
see if it still measures in spec at 120k
It started out low at about 80k, but drifted up, quickly at first then slowed down. After about 2 minutes of measurement it had drifted up to about 104k, and was slowly climbing.

also try pre main disconnected and see if q1 base voltage drops . if so check dc offset again .
looks you will need to move the switch to separated and remove jumpers if present

Last edited:
I had not removed one leg of the resistor before testing. Will do that. I had not re-connected Q5 base, should I do that?

All of the tests have had pre-out/power in separated.

Reconnected Q5 base and R13 leg. Measured voltage on either side of R13, brown band side +12.8V, gold band side -2.5V

try slowly turning vr1 whilst monitoring pin 3 voltage and see if you can get it shift towards 0v .
if it wont shift list all board pins voltages including grounds . as any voltage on grounds isnt good .

Back
Top Bottom