Changing Circular 3 Pin Power Plug

Luckyorleans

I bought a Music Fidelity B200 amplifier and the regular power cord has been changed to a circular female 3 pin plug. Not sure if I can just clip this off and put on a regular 3 prong plug. Any thoughts on this or how to approach it are appreciated.

IMG_20170715_222945_992.jpg

IMG_20170715_222935_302.jpg

IMG_20170715_222941_617.jpg

Wow ,that looks like a standard xlr connector!
Anyways,yes cut it off and install a normal plug.
Pop the cover to make sure you get the hot wire on the right side blade of the new male plug if staying with a grounded plug.

Bob

It appears to be a common XLR connector but they are/have been used for other things too.

If you know the seller I suggest contacting them to ask if there are any other mods beside the plug.

hm, didn't know XLR were used for power.

Replacing is easy enough, provided that was the only change. If this bypassed the internal supply and was fed from somewhere else for example, plugging it into the wall is probably going to go poorly.

Thanks for the input. Everything looks to follow the wiring correctly on the inside. Some pictures are below, am I missing anything?
Great idea on checking for other mode but unfortunately it was a contents sale by a company so I can't contact the seller.

IMG_20170716_125018_193Y.jpg

IMG_20170716_125018_193C.jpg

The transformer is definitely missing, looks like somebody set it up for an external transformer. DO NOT plug it in. The good news is it looks like a pretty simple transformer with a single center tapped secondary. Shouldn't be hard to find one, just need the right voltage and current.

2014-06-03_16.46.09.jpg

Hopefully this info gets to the OP before it's too late.

I sent a PM/conversation so hopefully will see the notification.
hope so as it will go with a flash and a bang .. recently done same with battery charger for power tools .. luckily it was just a resistor so no bang . just a flash as i put the wires into the plug hole . please dont do this at home :D

maybe the outboard supply was an upgrade . up main caps to at least 60v . and any others that might be running on the edge .
get a nice transformer and put into a box .
may run quieter this way . :idea:

External supply probably would be quieter, and it would allow a more stout transformer if the stock one is marginal.

Thanks very much everyone! Glad I posted here and decided to not do anything without getting some comments. There was a lot of equipment at the sale, including a square unmarked transformer and a power control, which I would not guess should have been bundled with this. I will e-mail the company that handled the sale and hope that the house hasn't been cleaned out yet! I have to embrace petehall347 avatar with this one!

I don't suppose you can get in touch with the seller to see if there is a mystery box with a wall plug and a matching socket can you? Chances are more than fair that this was paired with a suitable external supply at some point.

Back
Top Bottom