What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

R-5006440-1466673992-9456.jpeg.jpg

Louis Auriacombe / Gioacchino Rossini; 3 Sonatas For Strings
19?? Nonesuch

How does the DV-980H stack up against the BDP-83 in terms of sound quality? They turned down my best offer on the PS1 so I may just keep waiting for a sweet deal on one locally (one will turn up). Those OPPO's that don't play blu ray are pretty dang affordable like you said.

Just to hit throw a monkey wrench into the mix, Find a player armed with the Phillips
TDA1541A DAC chip. These were used in many brands, That can be had on the cheap. Although people did get wise. This DAC brought digital sound to the masses, And removed the veil from the sound. Look for players from
Marantz--Essentially a Phillips brand(Their transport/DAC)
Magnavox--Ditto. Don't laugh, I've heard one.
Arcam
Sony ES series.. Before making there own
There is a website that lists just about every machine with this DAC. These players will be older, So how well the transport is comes into play. But just another option to explore. Most models will be just 2ch machines. No multichannel for a few years after the this arrival.

Testing out the "new" speakers. The boys were involved with the painting and choice of color. We will be adding clouds soon.
I have been on a Brian Eno kick lately and he recommends an inexpensive 3 way speaker with a nice stereo imagining. All my speakers were 2 ways. So it was nice to find these at a thrift for 2 bucks. Yamahas ns-a635a modded with polyfill and different tweeters.
Not hi fi but sounding good so far.
Testing with
Renaissance
Prologue
View attachment 968445

Very cool!

Keep us posted!

Gladly.

The two channel system is up. I've slimmed it down a bit.

Sources are:

Oppo disk player, connected to Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus
AirPlay using an Apple AirPort Express connected via TOSLink to the other input of the DACMagic
Phono
Reel to reel tape - Akai GX-635D
Cassette tape - Nakamichi BX125

Amplifiers are:

Preamp - LXI series (I think it was made by Sherwood for Sears)
Power amp - Bryston 4B ST

Speakers:

Martin Logan Theos

Now playing:

Beatles - Abbey Road (CD)

I'll start wiring up my 7 channel system next weekend. I'm wired out for now.

I haven't listened to a Sony PS1, SCPH-1001 or SCPH-5501 game console as a dedicated CD player so I can't comment on how good they sound, but they do have a great reputation in the "cheap and cheerful" audiophile crowd

Another option would be to look for a used Oppo universal DVD player on eBay or elsewhere. Nearly all of them have very impressive analog output sound quality, plus they play DVD-Audio discs, SACD's and even decode HDCD discs.

They sometimes go relatively cheap since they don't play Blu-ray discs. They have stereo RCA outputs, 5.1 (or 7.1) RCA outputs, along with HDMI out, and optical and coaxial digital outputs as well.

I have a Oppo DV-980H in my home theater setup that is used primarily for SACD or DVD-Audio playback (sometimes I'll spin a CD - but nearly all of my CD's have been ripped and stored as lossless digital audio files so I rarely do that anymore)

View attachment 968249 View attachment 968250

Bingo, Everything in a nice package!

Back
Top Bottom