Speakers

A better idea is to look what's available on Craigslist in your area in your price range, then post in the speaker forum asking for opinions on the different models (or even better, search first. I find that when I search google for a certain model, AK is almost always on the first page of results). There were literally thousands of speaker manufacturers, with tens of thousands of different models. Obviously many of them will be very expensive, but a very good percentage can be found for under $300.

I have a Harmon Kardon HK495i receiver What sort of book shelf speakers would you suggest?
I was all so considering a new receiver would new receiver or a vintage one be better?

For a vintage speaker, consider the Boston Acoustics A70 or A100 models. Should be under your budget, fairly abundant and very good sounding.

Favorites are in the bedroom, DIY Altecs withe double 15" drivers now being driven by a Fisher 500C.

EPI 100's are always a good choice...

Well, these two responses certainly run the gamut.
Let me know where I can get the parts for "DIY Altecs with double 15" drivers" for the OP's budget of "$250/300", 'cause I'll take a set.

The EPI100 is a nice, basic loudspeaker that is easy to drive and sounds very good. Zillions of them were sold, and it's not just because they were, at one point, recommended by Consumer Reports. A nice pair should leave plenty of change in the OP's pocket (unless he or she happens to live in an area where the EPIs were less common).

Assuming that s/he hasn't found a pair since asking back in March.

Well, these two responses certainly run the gamut.
Let me know where I can get the parts for "DIY Altecs with double 15" drivers" for the OP's budget of "$250/300", 'cause I'll take a set.

The EPI100 is a nice, basic loudspeaker that is easy to drive and sounds very good. Zillions of them were sold, and it's not just because they were, at one point, recommended by Consumer Reports. A nice pair should leave plenty of change in the OP's pocket (unless he or she happens to live in an area where the EPIs were less common).

Assuming that s/he hasn't found a pair since asking back in March.
Very sorry for posting in the wrong thread.
Yes that would be great for that money.
With speaker prices down , the op should be able to find some decent speakers for his budget.
I bought a nice pair of Klipsch Heresy's for 350.00 and probably could have gotten them for 300, but they were already a super deal and that would have been awful to try and beat him down anymore, I paid him what he ask.
The point is people are willing to deal so don't hesitate to ask for a lower price.
You might want to look around at some vintage 70's Radio Shack or some vintage Fisher speakers, both companies made some really good speaker and hifi gear back then.
Time frame 600's are another great speaker in the price range.

Back
Top Bottom