What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Mmmm.... Helen Forrest...

51A29xeDUwL._SX425_.jpg

She's a favorite of mine.

Going for another of my favorite New Wave Of British Heavy Metal bands. When I bought this it was a shock. First time I ever saw clear vinyl. Until then I thought clear vinyl was something "make believe" for the Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here" album cover graphics.

Witchfinder General - Death Penalty
1982 Heavy Metal Records HMR LP 8
https://www.discogs.com/Witchfinder-General-Death-Penalty/release/1937728
001.jpg

These guys were disciples of very early Black Sabbath. It came to be called doom metal eventually. I don't see it as doom. It makes me happy, but I'm kind of dark.

Going for another of my favorite New Wave Of British Heavy Metal bands. When I bought this it was a shock. First time I ever saw clear vinyl. Until then I thought clear vinyl was something "make believe" for the Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here" album cover graphics.

Witchfinder General - Death Penalty
1982 Heavy Metal Records HMR LP 8
https://www.discogs.com/Witchfinder-General-Death-Penalty/release/1937728
001.jpg

These guys were disciples of very early Black Sabbath. It came to be called doom metal eventually. I don't see it as doom. It makes me happy, but I'm kind of dark.

One of the great covers of all time! Frank, Your taste in music leaves me speechless, And that ain't easy! Sure the music rocks.

One of the great covers of all time! Frank, Your taste in music leaves me speechless, And that ain't easy! Sure the music rocks.
Well I thank you Speedy. I consider myself a novice amongst the folks collected here.
That album cover...I kind of made it blurry intentionally. It's very graphic! You can find pages devoted to it on the internet. The girl as I recall was a British Sun Page 3 model named Joanne, Drop dead gorgeous girl in every way.
This is the inner sleeve
R-1937728-1303296522.jpeg.jpg

The band chose their name from a 1968 Vincent Price horror movie, "The Conqueror Worm". Vincent Price is a self proclaimed "Witchfinder General", assigning himself to ridding 17th Centaury England of it's witch population, for a fee of course. I've seen that movie many times, it'll leave your jaw on the floor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchfinder_General_(film)

Last edited:
Well I thank you Speedy. I consider myself a novice amongst the folks collected here.
That album cover...I kind of made it blurry intentionally. It's very graphic! You can find pages devoted to it on the internet. The girl as I recall was a British Sun Page 3 model named Joanne, Drop dead gorgeous girl in every way.
This is the inner sleeve

The band chose their name from a 1968 Vincent Price horror movie, "The Conqueror Worm". Vincent Price is a self proclaimed "Witchfinder General", assigning himself to ridding 17th Centaury England of it's witch population, for a fee of course. I've seen that movie many times, it'll leave your jaw on the floor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conqueror_Worm

Wondered whether there might be a tie-up with that movie. A classic.

This is the inner sleeve

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conqueror_Worm

Have seen that flick, Price was the man for the horror stuff. Page 3 model? None finer. Love British babes. Dated one for awhile. That accent was something else. That Diana Rigg vibe. Will check this out. Thanks

Wondered whether there might be a tie-up with that movie. A classic.
A classic indeed Kevin. They completely took their theme and basis from the movie. And then they drew their sound from Black Sabbath's debut album, but with a little punk and prog influence on the side, because thats what the NWOBHM was all about.
Full debut album video for the curious.
Speedy, you really dated a Page 3 model...you dawg!

Last edited:
A classic indeed Kevin. They completely took their theme and basis from the movie. And then they drew their sound from Black Sabbath's debut album, but with a little punk and prog influence on the side, because thats what the NWOBHM was all about.
Full debut album video for the curious.
Speedy, you really dated a Page 3 model...you dawg!

Definitely hear the Sabbath connection, However, That frontman ain't OZZY. Only played first track. Getting into the rest. I'd give them a spin!

Definitely hear the Sabbath connection, However, That frontman ain't OZZY. Only played first track. Getting into the rest. I'd give them a spin!
Agreed, Zeebe Parkes was clearly no rival to Ozzy. But let your mind adjust to his vocals and you'll probably find that you like what he's doing. They only released two albums in short succession, so that tells you something about their overall appeal. Their legacy has been long lived though.

I've never seen it that way, Mac. I just thought he was tossing references in as fast as he could with an eye towards wordsmithing poetry. I've always thought it was a brilliant song.

My favorite song by him was Vincent (Starry, Starry Night). I'm probably interpreting the song incorrectly, but I always felt that McClean was not a fan of the British Invasion, and that Holly's death allowed the invasion to happen. His dislike for Mick Jagger and also The Beatles, were, imo, quite evident in the song. But there are many ways to interpret American Pie.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom