Vintage receivers were expensive when new

satellite

I bought an almost pristine example of a Sansui 221 today from the original owner. I got it off of Ebay because it was local and available with free pick-up. I've always wanted one of these baby Sansui receivers for reasons I can't fully explain. Works great, and not even a scratch on it, was told it's been in storage for over 20 years, and I am happy with my purchase.

The big surprise for me was when the lady told me she paid about $300 for it when she bought it new in 1975. The inflation calculator I found tells me that is worth $1,371.02 in today's money! For a 10 watt per channel receiver!

I realize/am reminded that these old receivers we seek out for build/sound quality were not cheap.

I'd say your inflation calculator has led you down an incorrect pricing path.

Consider the average wage in 1975 in the US was supposedly $165/wk, $300 is nearly two weeks gross wages. The Sansui was expensive.

HiFi was expensive when new, also expensive here in Australia. A Kenwood KR-9400 was AU$1125 in July 1975 with a base grade KR-2400 still costing AU$319. A Marantz 1060 was AU$339. According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, our average wage (gross) was $165.50 per week in 1975/6. That makes a 1060 two weeks gross income. At our average income in 2017, two weeks gross is AU$3226, and that would be an expensive purchase, whatever way you look at it. A Marantz 1060 at $3226!?

I'd say your inflation calculator has led you down an incorrect pricing path.
No, this is actually correct (check it out yourself). I have found that most of these inflation calculators will show a roughly 100% increase in the cost of an item for every 10 years. But one must remember that this is only the price of that item (when originally sold) in todays dollars, not it's value today.

My older brother paid $400 for used big quad Kenwood from an acquaintance in 1976 or 77.I remember the guy saying it was $800 new.Sounded like a lot of money to me a fifteen year old.Damn thing was always on the blink until he gave it to me in about '83 needing repair.Anyway I think what ConradH said makes a lot of sense...more disposable income.

Ok so your inflation calculator research is based on $300 in 1975. However the seller couldn't have paid that much for it because from 1974 - 1976 they sold for $180.
You'll find it in the 9th row of the pricing table here:

http://www.classicaudio.com/value/san/

Funny how time can play tricks on our memories after 42 years.
Yes, perhaps her recollection of the price paid wasn't entirely accurate. Seemed pretty high to me. Thanks for the link. I was looking for this information, but apparently didn't look hard enough.

Well, in 1967, I bought a Fisher 700T receiver for $499.99. Based on the consumer price index, that would be over $3700 in today's money. Of course you would not pay that for a receiver with those features and specs today. A receiver back then was a premium item to own. On the other hand, you could buy a pretty loaded full size new car for $3000. That would be $22,000 in today's money and would not buy you much of a loaded car. Whether something is expensive or not depends on the percent of your income it costs. Electronics have gone way down over the years by that criteria.

Wonder how much of the gear of today will be still functioning in the next thirty to forty years?

Anyone remember what the warranty usually was back the 60's-70's? Very few stuff is covered for more than a year today by the manufacturer.

Would either of the above statements bear any light on this thread?

Q

my 1 owner marantz 4400 was a $1199 purchase for the owner in 1974. He tells me the story all the time lol
Well according to the US Dept. of labor Bureau of statistics' inflation calculator, that equals $6,302 in today's money! Might have required some sacrifice and saving to get it. Hope you're enjoying that old quad!:rflmao::rflmao:

I STILL think twice about spending $500 in today's dollars! Looking at my humble Bob Carver system and it's original receipt that was inside the manual made me gulp. I couldn't imagine going out right now and plunking down that kinda dough. Much less back in 76. Wowsers.

Inflation calculators don't consider technology advancements, nor tooling and manufacturing improvements, such as robotics. You can now buy a 100 watt RMS per channel receiver for about $130 (or less). (Yamaha, Sherwood, others), many class D amps for $50-$100 range.

Ok so your inflation calculator research is based on $300 in 1975. However the seller couldn't have paid that much for it because from 1974 - 1976 they sold for $180.
You'll find it in the 9th row of the pricing table here:

http://www.classicaudio.com/value/san/

Funny how time can play tricks on our memories after 42 years.

........And I doubt that it was bought for retail either. I was too poor to buy anything like that back then and I'm guessing that very few people paid retail for stereo equipment and most were probably discounted quite a bit. It would be interesting to hear from some of people here that sold stereo equipment back then.

Back
Top Bottom