Yamaha Tuners - Your favorites and why...

Yamaha Tuners

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

plresults

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
After the T-2, what are the best Yamaha tuners? I just noticed the T-7, an analog with presets -- which seems interesting. What are your top three and why? Thanks! S

You missed the CT-7000 in your list.

CT-7000.jpg

CT-1010, great sound quality particularly mids and highs. The nice wood case is a bonus.

T-85, one of the best sounding digital tuners I have tried. Very extensive adjustments to improve reception.

TX-1000, very close to the T-85 in sound, even heavier build.

I've got a T2, T80, T1020 and a cheapo T60.
Honestly they all work very well. I only listen to two stations that are fairly strong so I don't need to do any DXing and multipath doesn't seem to be much of a problem either.
Build quality? T2 hands down with the T80 being quite a bit behind.

tx -950, bought it used for $100 , sounds good, there are better tuners out there, but two few FM stations to spend any more money on and I listen infrequently. It is also remote control , for changing stations, I use my universal remote for that, and to change volume level of my CX-2 preamp.

What sort of performer is the T-1? Stong? What is your experience? Thanks, S

It's an excellent performer but it's not quite up to the standard of my B&O Beomaster 5000 - the bass on this is pretty much unmatched IMHO. As an aside, a friend of mine also owns one of the B&Os - he sold his CT-7000 in favour of it...

My fave is the TX1000. I had a T85. Ergonomically it sucked; and I didn't have the little letters to put in the preset buttons for the stations. Dumb!
The TX1000 seems to do everything better with the possible exception of DXing, but I'm not even sure of that.
It is a great, flexible tuner. It has two antenna inputs. Each preset can be programmed (easily!) with it's special needs: antenna A or B, mono/blend/stereo, narrow or wide IF, and several other parameters for best individual reception-all of which can be deviated from easily without losing the original "recipe".

My T2 is formidable and matches my preamp-but I prefer the functionality AND fine audio quality of the TX1000, so it sits in the cupboard!

....T-85, one of the best sounding digital tuners I have tried. Very extensive adjustments to improve reception. ...

I was scared to align mine and put it off way longer than I should have. Turned out to be a piece of cake and improved the SQ greatly. Didn't do any mods though.

TX-930 here...$30 with remote and manual. Unfortunately, due to aesthetic issues the antenna isn't properly set up so it limits what can be dialed in. It picks up quite a bit despite a tucked away dipole!

TX-930 here...$30 with remote and manual. Unfortunately, due to aesthetic issues the antenna isn't properly set up so it limits what can be dialed in. It picks up quite a bit despite a tucked away dipole!

The TX-930/950 are reception champs, very accomplished technically. Just a bit behind the T-85/TX-1000 sonically but probably more reliable. $30 is an absolute steal for a good sounding tuner with 2 antenna inputs, remote control, digital tuning with a rotary knob and fine tuning. Well done!

The TX-930/950 are reception champs, very accomplished technically. Just a bit behind the T-85/TX-1000 sonically but probably more reliable. $30 is an absolute steal for a good sounding tuner with 2 antenna inputs, remote control, digital tuning with a rotary knob and fine tuning. Well done!

I'd love to take credit for making an outstanding deal, but since the market for tuners is what it is, people are practically giving these things away. Too bad FM isn't what it once was.:D

Yamaha T-7 because of its fancy motorized programmable memory.

And I don't have any other of the list. Maybe I'll find a nice T-2 one day.

I voted for the T-1000 as my favorite tuner. I'm the only one so far. I bought it new, along with the matching A-1000 integrated amp. Both still work after almost 35 years. I did have to replace the super capacitor twice over the years, but no other issues. I also have a CT-1010 with a CA-2010. The CT-1010 works perfectly, but I prefer the presets on the T-1000 for convenience.

Of the few I have experience with the TX-1000 is my favorite. It moved into my main rig as soon as I heard it. Sure it is a mess ergonomically and I needed to read the OM twice, even knowing what they were talking about but it sounds good. The other one I currently own is the T-7 and I have not evaluated that one in the main rig, doing duty at a friend's house after it was a tuner in a bedroom system. Interesting memory, motorized movement of the dial indicator to the preset station.

Back
Top Bottom