Fresh blueberries...recipe ideas?

cubdog

banging through drywall
My neighbor just dropped off 5 lbs. of fresh Michigan blueberries they picked over the weekend. That's a lot of blueberries! I know my wife has some plans but I'd welcome your favorite recipes as well. Thanks.

We did this to fresh picked wild blackberries that wifey and I picked.

icecream.jpg

Blackberries are loaded with seeds, so they needed to be removed. I put the berries in a blender on a slower speed, just to bust them up but not the seeds. Strain them to keep the liquid and pulp but remove the seeds. Then just dump it into a batch of wifey's homemade ice cream mix and into the ice cream maker.

I do the same with both blackberries and raspberries.

Speaking of ice cream when I was in college I'd go to the local ice cream stand at 11at night to get a blueberry shake. They would give my dog the melted but cold ice cream from a catch pan. That dog, who loved ice cream, was the one and only original cubdog. We hung out together from 1975 until 1988. Great memory, great dog.

I like to do a blueberry and Cognac custard with fresh berries.
3 slightly beaten eggs 1/2t vanilla
4T sugar 2-4 T Cognac or similar spirit
dash of salt blueberries
1 cup scalded milk

Heat water in lower half of a double boiler, but don't boil it or you'll curdle the custard. Place slightly beaten eggs in the top of the double boiler and add the sugar and salt, then gradually add the scalded milk while slirring slowly with a wooden spoon. Continue to stirr until it forms a coating on the spoon, then remove from the heat and pour it into a cool bowl. Add vanilla and Cognac to taste. Put the berries in individual bowls and cover with custard.

I also like blueberry cobblers and pies. Or just with plain old vanilla ice cream. They're really versatile.

My neighbor just dropped off 5 lbs. of fresh Michigan blueberries they picked over the weekend. That's a lot of blueberries! I know my wife has some plans but I'd welcome your favorite recipes as well. Thanks.
5lbs? I just bought 30lbs from a local farm. I really like blueberries!!!

I picked 6.5 gallons this year off of my two bushes. Kept 2 gallons and gave the rest away to family and co workers. Hell I will get 5 gallons off my big bush. 1.5 to 2 off my thinner one. Both bushes are around 8 ft tall at the end of the season. But my big bush will take 4 grown men to reach around it, maybe.

The wife planted some blueberry bushes a couple years ago so they are still developing. Her raspberries were really producing this year but she planted them maybe 7-8 years ago. I'm trying to be patient with the blueberries. Until then I'll have to rely on the neighbors.

Blueberry bushes like well drained soil. If you can find softwood sawdust (fir or hemlock NOT cedar) and pile it around the base of the bushes, they like that.

All my blueberry recipes, while tasty will make you fat.

Muffins, homemade muesli, pancakes, cream cheese pie... the smoothie with other fruits isn't to bad.

Freeze 'em.
Drop them into the bottom of your cereal bowl before the corn flakes go in.
They keep the milk cold and add some freshness to the cereal.
Not exactly a recipe, I know.

While blueberries are rich with age-fighting antioxidants, blackberries have even higher ORAC ratings (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity).

Eat them raw! Also chocked with vitamin c, I believe.

Try the recipe in the link - you will never go back :D

Roger that! Will give a spin.

Of course, I have cherry trees I planted in my back yard, and in June when they come in, aaaahhh. It is so nice to walk outside and pick them right off the tree.

I have had some battles with blue jays, tho.

My father in law has HUGE swaths of blackberries on his farm. I keep meaning to gather up enough to make some authentic Kentucky blackberry wine.

Half a handful in a bowl, light sprinkle of sugar, top with light cream or half-n-half. Enjoy

Last edited:
I love to make salads with blueberries. Blueberries with arugula, goat/blue/feta cheese and pecans/crushed almonds/walnuts, balsamic vinaigrette. Yumbo.

Muffins of course and waffles too. Make sure you don't overload the waffle batter with too many as the iron will be a real mess to clean.

Back
Top Bottom