CLEANING VINYL - The AK compendium of fact, fiction and collective wisdom

Have you ever used glue to clean a record?

• Yes

Votes: 231 19.9%
  • No

Votes: 927 80.1%

• Total voters
First of all Great Thread! I have read through it all, albeit in bits and pieces and have really benefited from the collective process of trial and error. Second I have been using a SpinClean for years and am very glad I bought it, it does a great job for what it's worth. However, even after multiple passes I like many of you have certain LPs that appear passable or even good looking but have a noise level that prevent me from playing them much at all. I realize some of this may be groove damage and that's going to be difficult to impossible to fix. However, this brings me to this crazy idea and the Third thing I wanted to say.

I have been toying with the idea of trying to use a SonicCare or similar ultrasonic toothbrush on those stubborn LPs that just don't seem to want to give up the gunk in the grooves. With that said I will quickly duck behind the nearest cover to avoid the majority of the rotting vegetables and flames that may follow that comment and ask from my covered position if anyone have tried this and/or has any thoughts on this concept?

Cheers,

Fuzz
I would think the SonicCare brushes bristles would be way, way, way too fat to reach into the grooves at all. It could help remove surface debris and I see no way it could hurt. Just avoid using any abrasive toothpaste like baking soda.

Last edited:
I always have "gunk" in my US after about 20 LPs or so. Kind of like clumps of dust floating around in a grey cloud.

After I drain the tank I simply wash with a light dawn mixture and a soft MF towel followed by a hot water rinse. Has been working well for a long time.

Finding cloudy water and gunk tells me my US is working to remove all that from my LPs. LPs that go in after being dusted off and "looking" clean.

Thanks! One more question -- how do you use the microfiber towel? Do you run it through the tank?

Thanks! One more question -- how do you use the microfiber towel? Do you run it through the tank?
I simply wash the tank like I would any other bowl, roasting pan or pyrex baking dish. I do not run the tank during cleaning, I simply wash it out as if it were any other thing needing a wash.

I really enjoyed reading this thread.

There were a couple of points I think should be included:

1. Glues, like Titebond II, must not be allowed to freeze.
  2. Although most vinyl is tough, there appears to be some variation in the formulas, after all there are a lot of records out there, so one must be careful and consider the sample size before jumping to conclusions. (Apple's vinyl appears to be an example of a non standard formula.)
  3. Tape, as in Scotch tape, can do a lot as a final cleanup without the damage more mechanical means, such as toothpicks and needles, can cause.
  4. Some HiFi systems tend to bring out all the imperfections, not just the phono cartridge, but speakers, and other components can make anything other then perfect vinyl difficult to listen to.
  5. Properly done, ultrasound cleaning is the best, but cost effectiveness is debatable for many.
  6. Water is a polar molecule and neutralizes static electricity. (I'm not sure why people use alcohol products to clean records, it makes sense on tape heads which you want to keep away from water, but I cannot understand the logic of mixing water with alcohol to clean records other then speeder drying times compared to a water rinse after a detergent wash.)
  7. A clean stylus is at least halt the battle!

I recently replaced my Nitty Gritty MiniPro2 with a Audio Desk Systeme Pro. I took an inherently noisy Supertramp "Crisis..." that the NG could not fix. One standard (5 min) run through the ADS did the trick.

First of all Great Thread! I have read through it all, albeit in bits and pieces and have really benefited from the collective process of trial and error. Second I have been using a SpinClean for years and am very glad I bought it, it does a great job for what it's worth. However, even after multiple passes I like many of you have certain LPs that appear passable or even good looking but have a noise level that prevent me from playing them much at all. I realize some of this may be groove damage and that's going to be difficult to impossible to fix. However, this brings me to this crazy idea and the Third thing I wanted to say.

I have been toying with the idea of trying to use a SonicCare or similar ultrasonic toothbrush on those stubborn LPs that just don't seem to want to give up the gunk in the grooves. With that said I will quickly duck behind the nearest cover to avoid the majority of the rotting vegetables and flames that may follow that comment and ask from my covered position if anyone have tried this and/or has any thoughts on this concept?

Cheers,

Fuzz

Fuzzy, maybe this post of mine may help you with your Spin Clean. A fairly powerful wet/dry shop vac is required.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....l-cleaning-method.732114/page-2#post-10711996

I don't buy old records like you folks, but I've been collecting new vinyl since I bought my first LP, Revolver in '68. The only thing other than my hands that has ever touched my 1000+ records is distilled water, usually spread sparingly on vintage Discwashers (you know the wooden handles with the plush cushions). I've been hoarding those Discwashers--new old stock from eBay (around $50 each these days). My records are in remarkably good condition thanks to the fact that I've never used anything that's going to react chemically to the vinyl or labels or leave a nasty film. Distilled water plus elbow grease if needed, but I stay away from all other forms of cleaning solutions. And for mercy's sake, a carbon fibre brush is going to scratch those grooves! Anything that spins fast while it's cleaning is going to add static. No thanks. I am a believer in the vintage Zero Stats. Been hoarding them too. I use them on my guitars to eliminate static near the control cavities too. Newer Discwashers are crap. Anything from mid 80's on. No good.

I recently replaced my Nitty Gritty MiniPro2 with a Audio Desk Systeme Pro. I took an inherently noisy Supertramp "Crisis..." that the NG could not fix. One standard (5 min) run through the ADS did the trick.

I also have one of these and am quite impressed! It works very well and what I really like is you can go about your business while it is running. Sometimes the records takes a slight bump with your finger to get it started to rotate and then you can walk away. When you come back the vinyl is clean and dry. I keep a micro fiber cloth handy because sometimes there are a few very small drops of water still on the surface.

I've cleaned about 400 records now. A couple of tricks I have found. For the first run through my collection I've decided to use the maximum cycle time. Not sure the extra cycle time is needed but I see no reason not to use it? I clean the wipers with a q-tip and alcohol every 20 records or so. I remove and rinse the scrubbers about every 50 records. Replace the water and additive along with rinsing the filter every 100 albums. I also just recently blew out the dust in the fan filter for the dryer.

Seems to be built to last a couple of lifetimes?

Last edited:
Ok I've tried the distilled water, alcohol, drop of Dawn, concoction. Then, Scrubbing Bubbles, (the Dollar Store Brand). Now, using the Intelligent Audio 3 step system. By far the Intelligent Audio has given me the best results. The distilled water mix did not clean deep into the grooves. Scrubbing Bubbles left a residue near the label. The only negative about IA's product is it will take longer, (extra step), is worth the effort.

i use l'art du son to clean my records,then i use the spin clean filled with distilled water to rinse the records so theres no residue on them,what i noticed in my bottle of l'art du son are white bit's floating around, does that mean it has gone off ?

I have been gathering old beat-up records for 10 years now, and thanks to this wonderful place, have been quite successful in resurrecting many of my mom and dad's old records, some forgotten gems in thrift shops, etc.

Since AK has become THE place for all questions audio, I thought this thread could be a gathering of the assorted and still relevant threads about cleaning records.

First, I'm encouraging everyone who reads this to contribute your experience. We have all walks of life here, and I think it will be a great resource to compartmentalize this amazing knowledge. Yeah, I'd like this to be a sticky if it takes off.

Please keep the discussion moving ahead, and civil.

I'm going to link the two threads I find to be some of the greatest sources of knowledge on cleaning records and filthy vinyl.

This legendary thread pretty much ended my love/hate affair with records. Now I fear no vinyl! It's the wood glue thread.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99837

This promising thread is from our resident expert on chemicals, Vince1.
Enzymes, not just for your gut any more!

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=8395516

also, any DIY type stuff is great. Please link any threads I miss.

Here's one I'm still sorta on the fence about. The results are great, but I fear the long-term issues. Scrubbing Bubbles as a cleaning method?

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=349539

Again, please comment, add what you've learned, and let us build this thread into a provable resource to save the vinyl. :thmbsp:
I use Titebond ll
wood glue works like a champ! I'll be damned if I'm going to spend big bucks on record cleaning machines. There are plenty of "how tos" on Youtube. Once you get your technique down it's easy, just apply it,wait a few hours and pull it off--it takes everything out of those grooves and some look and play like they're brand new. Only side effect i've noticed is static if you're working on carpets or moving a lot building up static charges.

I'm thinking baout picking up a Knosti Disco Antistat record cleaning machine since I've seen they're pretty good for the price. However one thing I saw was that the fluid which comes with it tends to leave a nasty residue on records, and I've seen people suggesting home made concoctions to combat this. However, where the hell do I buy stuff like alcohol and pure/distilled water?

One can pickup 91% isopropyl alcohol at just about any drug store--distilled water at any grocery store for about a buck a gallon.

Keeping it simple and I am cheap. I take my garage sale finds and if they look at all dirty or have marks across the grooves i just take them to the kitchen.
I have a tray with a shamwow in the bottom of it .A very warm water lightly soaped with dawn in the sink. A light microfiber cloth to wash the crud from the grooves. A quick rinse with osmosis water and a fast dry with microfiber cloths. Maybe two minutes time each. Then On the turntable, D4+ on the diskwasher to rid the static pop's.
I have had great success with what looked like hopeless cleanings.come out just great. I monitor the stylus tip for debris and it does not need cleaning.
I have been playing Vinyl since as a 4th grader in 1962.flipping 45's of Elvis.
I never once considered soapy water always thinking the labels would get damaged but so far, if they get wet and are dried immediately there is no problem.
I am going to go over every thing I own as needed.

Simple tip for RCM owners - double check your vacuum wands. On my machine the slot for liquid removal extends all the way out to the down spout. So the first half inch or so never comes into contact with the record surface. In turn reducing vacuum due to bypass air leakage. To seal the open slot space I applied several wraps of electrical tape. Noticed an immediate increase in pulling power. For best cleaning results the higher the vacuum the better.

i have used glass cleaner,its good,and also wd 40 to clean albums,also good,petroleum,on petroleum,whatever..hot water on a rag will work,there makin too much of such asimple thing..glue.....nope im not doing that,clean em with windex,an get a new needle,an there ya go.......

I really enjoyed reading this thread.

There were a couple of points I think should be included:

1. Glues, like Titebond II, must not be allowed to freeze.
  2. Although most vinyl is tough, there appears to be some variation in the formulas, after all there are a lot of records out there, so one must be careful and consider the sample size before jumping to conclusions. (Apple's vinyl appears to be an example of a non standard formula.)
  3. Tape, as in Scotch tape, can do a lot as a final cleanup without the damage more mechanical means, such as toothpicks and needles, can cause.
  4. Some HiFi systems tend to bring out all the imperfections, not just the phono cartridge, but speakers, and other components can make anything other then perfect vinyl difficult to listen to.
  5. Properly done, ultrasound cleaning is the best, but cost effectiveness is debatable for many.
  6. Water is a polar molecule and neutralizes static electricity. (I'm not sure why people use alcohol products to clean records, it makes sense on tape heads which you want to keep away from water, but I cannot understand the logic of mixing water with alcohol to clean records other then speeder drying times compared to a water rinse after a detergent wash.)
  7. A clean stylus is at least halt the battle!
For cleaning stylus drop it on a thin slice of Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser that can be bought at any supermarket for 2-3 bucks. I drop needle once after playing each LP--ner gets stylus wet so don't have to worry about glue holding stylus on being loosened. people who have used this technique have checked stylus under microscope and report the stylus looking absolutely perfect. I have been using this for several months and it works perfectly.

i remember using a live chicago album as a frisbee long ago,an we kept zz top deep purple,an skynyrd and others..o well. they fly really good an wont be cleaning those.......glass cleaner,an use your ears..thats simply it.......gotta keep a rockin..lets go space truckin......

Crystal Rain Windex has been doing much good for me of recent.

Thanks for all who have contributed to this thread.

Back
Top Bottom