Oppo BDP-105 or Schiit Audio Modi 2 Multibit? DAC comparisons.

HiFiJeff

I know the price difference is huge but obviously the Oppo would be used for multiple reasons. What I am focusing on here is the difference between the two dac's. Does anyone here use there Oppo as a dac as well and if they do how is it? And how does the dac in the Oppo compare to the Schiit?

I google searched oppo 105 dac, I also am looking for opinions on the on board dac in the oppo 105 ,
Old thread revival!

I can say that I sold my fully upgraded Schiit Bifrost to go back to my Oppo 105D as the DAC in my system, if that tells you anything. I very very rarely play movies on it. It's main role is DAC for my Roku and streaming Tidal.

Cube-tube,
What did you not like about he Schiit Bifrost? I am looking to buying a DAC, and looking at either the Schiit Bifrost, Gungnir or the Oppo Sonica DAC.

I can say that I sold my fully upgraded Schiit Bifrost to go back to my Oppo 105D as the DAC in my system, if that tells you anything. I very very rarely play movies on it. It's main role is DAC for my Roku and streaming Tidal.
Just wondering,
Was it an uber or s multi bit?

I use the Gungnir Multi Bit and absolutely love it. I use the USB input for files and the coax from a Marantz CD6004 as a transport.

Cube-tube,
What did you not like about he Schiit Bifrost? I am looking to buying a DAC, and looking at either the Schiit Bifrost, Gungnir or the Oppo Sonica DAC.

It's not that I didn't like it. It just didn't do anything better than the Oppo. One thing that stood out though, the Oppo always sounded just a touch warmer and smoother. Seemed kind of redundant more than anything else.

Just wondering,
Was it an uber or s multi bit?

Both.

I use my 105 for 90% music as well, I have lots of FLAC files and do streaming from the internet. I love the way it sounds, it's a step up from the one in my old Marantz and the one in a friend's TOTL Onkyo processor.

It's not that I didn't like it. It just didn't do anything better than the Oppo. One thing that stood out though, the Oppo always sounded just a touch warmer and smoother. Seemed kind of redundant more than anything else.
I was in a similar situation--I have a DACMagic and was using it to improve the sound of my wretched sounding Pioneer DV-45A. I didn't hear much of a difference. (The DACMagic is now my computer DAC.) When I bought the 105, the soundstage opened up wide, and all of my digital now had a smoothness I didn't think was possible.

Much as I like it (and need it, as it can rip SACDs), I am looking to get the Modwright modded Oppo Sonica DAC in the next year or so. I play no video through the 105 whatsoever, so I won't miss that feature of it at all. I heard a couple of them at length at an audio show this past April.

I have the Bifrost MB and I am very impressed with it for the price. I have a pair of Tekton Double Impact speakers that really show problems in the front end, which is exactly why I went searching for a good DAC. I was using a IFI Micro DSD. I first went to the Modi2 MB and it was so much better than that IFI, I took advantage of the 15 day return and upgraded to the Bifrost MB. It was clearly a step better than the Modi and yards ahead of the IFI that sounded pretty good on my B&W 804s until the Tektons came along.

I first went to the Modi2 MB and it was so much better than that IFI, I took advantage of the 15 day return and upgraded to the Bifrost MB. It was clearly a step better than the Modi

You do realize that as of today Bifrost is pretty much just a bigger enclosure than the MMB with an option to send more of your hard earned money to Schiit later for "upgrades", right?

You do realize that as of today Bifrost is pretty much just a bigger enclosure than the MMB with an option to send more of your hard earned money to Schiit later for "upgrades", right?
Having that option is a very good argument for the BiFrost. Good on you! Easily installed, inexpensive upgrade boards is a much cheaper option than buying a new dacs as the technology continues to improve. Saves the landfills too.

Having that option is a very good argument for the BiFrost. Good on you! Easily installed, inexpensive upgrade boards is a much cheaper option than buying a new dacs as the technology continues to improve. Saves the landfills too.

I was just curious about the stated obvious improvement over the MMB.

I was thinking along the same lines. There's also the power supply to consider (Modi has a wall wart) and apparently the USB connection is upgraded. Also, they have different conversion ICs. Not sure how the two compare tho.

Bifrost:
THD: <0.003%, 20Hz-20KHz, at max output

IMD: <0.004%, CCIR

S/N: >108dB, referenced to 2V RMS
AKM Verita® AK4490

Modi Multibit:
THD:
<0.006%, 20Hz-20KHz, at max output

IMD: <0.007%, 20Hz-20KHz, CCIR
S/N: >104dB, referenced to 1.5VRMS, unweighted
Analog Devices AD5547

Your Bifrost specs are for the Delta-Sigma, not multibit. Multibit uses AD5547 same as the Modi MB. Has the latest gen-5 USB interface already made it into Bifrost?

Bifrost Multibit stats:
THD: <0.005%, 20Hz-20KHz, at max output

IMD: <0.008%, CCIR

S/N: >109dB, referenced to 2V RMS

As for the Gen-5 USB interface, according to their page for upgrading to it:

The new Gen 5 board is an upgrade for any Bifrost, Gungnir, or Yggdrasil with the Gen 1, 2, or 3 USB inputs, and now ships standard with every new Bifrost, Gungnir, or Yggdrasil.

So it is fair to say that new Bifrosts have it.

Gen 5 usb is probably a good reason to consider the Bifrost over the Modi, however Modi + Eitr should be very close and more flexible, that is if one uses USB as the primary interface.

Gen 5 upgrade is worth the money.
As good or better the Redbook cd's
Just be careful when you're taking it apart not to bend the LEDs too much.
If you do there's a trick to getting them back in but it's still a major pain!
Bifrost is more refined and has a more stable soundstage. The Modi MB bass is a bit loose... but otherwise close
The USB in the Modi sounds fine... but it can have some drop outs.
IMHO... be patient and save your money for the MB Bifrost... you'll be glad you did!!!

Last edited:
I just bought a pair of Tekton Pendragon's and am in desperate need of a dac to smooth out the mids and highs which are a little harsh. I only have about 30 hours on them and new Mogami cables. I hope the harshness is in fact due to only having 30 hours on them as well as the Fiio music players dac that I am currently using.

I am considering the oppo udp-203 for at least as a transport, and possibly for its internal dac. If I do purchase an external dac, I am considering the Schiit Bifrost Multi bit dac.

I am seeking advice, should I go with the oppo udp-203 as a do all or run it through the Schiit Bifrost mb.

In other words, which dac is better?

Current source is a Jolida jd1501 rc integrated amp. Soon to be a Decware SE34I.5 integrated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom