Today's "Rap/ Hip Hop" Playlist

Why do you think that is, though? Because it's his "stage" name and not real name?
{Assuming one of your ears hasn't fallen off...} Shortest answer possible: Since you have an informal, personal collection that is not being stored for academic/archival purposes (e.g. the Library of Congress/major university research library), the standard method of alphabetization would place numerical titles first and all remaining titles sorted by the first initial of the first word (i.e. "R" in "Rob Base"), with the range of each letter ranging from "letter/alphanumerical character a - letter/alphanumerical character z." And, as you stated you already know, the article "the" would be truncated during alphabetization so as to conform to the order of the alphabet.

Less formal explanation/source:

https://clericalchick.wordpress.com...cal-filing-rules-and-here-are-some-rules-too/

If a person’s name/(pseudonym) is part of the title, use the first letter of the first name

Bob Anders Corporation would be filed under B, not A. It’s part of the title. When someone refers to this company, they’ll say “Bob Anders Corporation,” or maybe just “Bob Anders.”

If you’re filing by the actual person’s name instead of a company/(psuedonum), most systems will do it by the last name. So the header would look like this: Anders, Bob. Then he would go under A. Name-based files would look like this:

• Acton, Catherine
  • Anders, Bob
  • Arrrrggghh, The Boss
I have an old copy of the Chicago Style Manual which states the above in a dry, nerdy, headache-inducing manner, thus I saved you a reach for some Tylenol. ;)

{Assuming one of your ears hasn't fallen off...} Shortest answer possible: Since you have an informal, personal collection that is not being stored for academic/archival purposes (e.g. the Library of Congress/major university research library), the standard method of alphabetization would place numerical titles first and all remaining titles sorted by the first initial of the first word (i.e. "R" in "Rob Base"), with the range of each letter ranging from "letter/alphanumerical character a - letter/alphanumerical character z." And, as you stated you already know, the article "the" would be truncated during alphabetization so as to conform to the order of the alphabet.

Less formal explanation/source:

https://clericalchick.wordpress.com...cal-filing-rules-and-here-are-some-rules-too/

If a person’s name/(pseudonym) is part of the title, use the first letter of the first name

Bob Anders Corporation would be filed under B, not A. It’s part of the title. When someone refers to this company, they’ll say “Bob Anders Corporation,” or maybe just “Bob Anders.”

If you’re filing by the actual person’s name instead of a company/(psuedonum), most systems will do it by the last name. So the header would look like this: Anders, Bob. Then he would go under A. Name-based files would look like this:

• Acton, Catherine
  • Anders, Bob
  • Arrrrggghh, The Boss
I have an old copy of the Chicago Style Manual which states the above in a dry, nerdy, headache-inducing manner, thus I saved you a reach for some Tylenol. ;)

LOL....yes, I get what you're saying, definitely -- but essentially is the gist that because "Rob Base" is more of an "act" (kind of like the "Bob Anders Corporation" example you cited) you'd ignore the "Base" and he would be known as simply "Rob Base"?

If this is the case, let me ask you about another example that wrinkled my feathers the other day -- in my DVD collection, I have titles alphabetized the way they should be (titles with "A" begin the collection, with the articles "The," "An" and "A" ignored when they precede a title), but I have one or two titles that belong to an INDIVIDUAL person or performer, such as "Bill Cosby." I have his Bill Cosby: Himself concert DVD on the shelf, arranged with all the films, TV shows and concerts, but I always had a difficult time trying to figure out where it would be placed -- would this go under "B" for "Bill Cosby" because it's more of a complete stage act title in this case (and not, say, in a CD or record collection) or should this go under "C" for proper last name sorting order?

LOL....yes, I get what you're saying, definitely -- but essentially is the gist that because "Rob Base" is more of an "act" (kind of like the "Bob Anders Corporation" example you cited) you'd ignore the "Base" and he would be known as simply "Rob Base"?

If this is the case, let me ask you about another example that wrinkled my feathers the other day -- in my DVD collection, I have titles alphabetized the way they should be (titles with "A" begin the collection, with the articles "The," "An" and "A" ignored when they precede a title), but I have one or two titles that belong to an INDIVIDUAL person or performer, such as "Bill Cosby." I have his Bill Cosby: Himself concert DVD on the shelf, arranged with all the films, TV shows and concerts, but I always had a difficult time trying to figure out where it would be placed -- would this go under "B" for "Bill Cosby" because it's more of a complete stage act title in this case (and not, say, in a CD or record collection) or should this go under "C" for proper last name sorting order?
That particular DVD would be filed under "C" as it refers to the real name of an actual individual. And even if he was accompanied by another comdedian, say Jerry Seinfeld, it still would be filed under "C" via the addendum I mentioned a few comments back. Thus, your collection of discs would be filed in the following manner:

"Cosby, Bill - Bill Cosby: Himself"
"Cosby, Bill - Infidelity's a Bitch, Ain't It?"
"Cosby, Bill - The NBC Years (1984-1992)"
"Cosby, Bill and Jerry Seinfeld - It's Never Gonna Happen"

and so on...

That particular DVD would be filed under "C" as it refers to the real name of an actual individual.

...but even if this is part of a DVD FILM collection, not as part of another collection of, say, concert CDs or albums? It's still looked at as a proper NAME title?

Thanks for your ongoing assistance with this insanity! :beerchug:

Yup...just gave a clean 'n spin to...

upload_2017-7-14_19-42-57.png upload_2017-7-14_19-43-10.png

While not bad, this was, in my opinion, the beginning of the end for them...and it surely was no Paid in Full (but what can ever be)...

Some truly unmemorable tracks here, such as the pitiful "Mahogany;" even the title track doesn't stand the test of time as I see it.

The "R's" last memorable contribution, IMO, was "Microphone Fiend"...

Can't stand them anymore, overplayed the h3ll out of it on the radio back then. Speaking of your earlier post I notice I have an LL vinyl you didn't list, bought at a garage sale in the hood, BAD (which was my favorite LL song growing up).

Ironically, they're still one of my favorite rap acts from that era -- if not of all time (I'm excluding bubble gum radio staples like "OPP" though); Treach was one serious f'n MC, and the rhymes were just so wickedly fast and dope...tracks like "Uptown Anthem," "Yoke the Joker," "Guard Your Grille," "Everything's Gonna Be Alright," "It's On," "Written on Ya Kitten" and "Feel Me Flow" are still fresh to this day IMO.

With regard to your BAD LP copy -- that's precisely the LL album I said I was looking for on vinyl (I had it on tape when it was released, I think bought in Canada when I was on vacation there at the time).

upload_2017-7-18_18-30-54.png

To be honest, when you really listen to the lyrics, it's difficult to imagine how this guy even got signed to a record label (especially one as renowned as Profile in the hip hop sector) let alone became so popular; without the rhythm of "It Takes Two" on his debut album, along with the radio and dance club hype it was built on, there's really zero talent here as I see it.

Ironically, he does mention "DJ E-Z Rock" in more than one of the tracks on here, but still stuck to his "solo" stage name for the overall production.

At any rate, at least this LP didn't skip around like mad, as my It Takes Two copy did...

Last edited:
A Tribe Called Quest - The Love Movement (Limited Edition)

Cover.JPG
Someone eventually had to do it, right? "It" in this case refers to the six genuinely though-out and well-sequenced bonus tracks accompanying what most fans (and even the group) thought was ATCQ's last studio album. I've never been one for "posse tracks," but will admit I enjoy the remix of Low End Theory's "Scenario," the guest verses on "Rock, Rock, Y'all," and Busta's ridiculous wordplay on "One, Two Shit." The vast majority of bonus tracks adjoining most albums from any genre tend to be filler or outright garbage from the floor of the editing room. The six tracks on the bonus disc of this album continue the flow of the album to a rightful conclusion.

(Subjective) Album highlight: Phife Dawg steps out of the shadow of Q-Tip and simply tears shit up on "His Name Is Mutty Ranks." It felt so good to hear his own lyricis shine and not sound like a hesitant second fiddle to Kamal/Q-Tip/Jonathan Davis.

Source: HP dc7600 Small Form Factor PC
Player: Winamp 2.95 with 250+ band Equalizer v1.62 for Winamp by Nevi
DAC: Audioquest DragonFly v1.2
Preamplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. PT5
Amplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. ST125.2
Speakers: KLH 9250B

Jay-Z - 4:44

Cover.JPG
Source: HP dc7600 Small Form Factor PC
Player: Winamp 2.95 with 250+ band Equalizer v1.62 for Winamp by Nevi
DAC: Audioquest DragonFly v1.2
Preamplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. PT5