All Youtube Videos Look Blacked Out, No Thumbnail Photos?

4-2-7

Smart Ass
Sponsor
The past few days all youtube vids on this site just look black, with the title and arrow in the center. A black box and no thumb nail photo attached to the video. It doesn't matter if they are mine, or others ALL are black. I have deleted history on my browser, signed in and out on this site and Youtube, googled audiokarma and come to the site again that way. I have run sweeps of my system and I'm at a loss as to what to do.

I also get this from other computers in the house and my phone. The only other thing that I'v done lately is posting vids for the first time on Youtube, but there all thumb nails are attached.

It's only on this site that I know of, anyone else seeing this problem?

Look at this all video thread, to me all vids are black boxes
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/girls-girls-girls-and-yes-more-girls.774859/

BTW the vids play fine, but it looks stupid and you don't get a visual indication of whats on the vid. I know Luther a while back changed the way vids are presented on the pages. Something to do with they where not hot until you click on them, but the thumb nail images where there.

The images may have been residing in cache, and now is clear.
I don't understand what your saying Ernie? Cache? who's? and now is cleared? from where?

Do you see image thumbnails on the vids posted?

I can't understand having the same issue on both of my computers a iPad and a iPhone on this site. It can't be my system/ systems all having the same page view here

Last edited:
It's an issue with YouTube and what they allow for embedding, based on how it was embedded.

I get the black video window on a few other Xenforo sites I manage, so it's not a forum issue. I don't have time to get into specifics, but there are a few ways to embed YouTube video. Xenforo uses a method that does not pre-cache part of the video, since a page with many videos will drag the loading speed down (especially for those with older computers), which is a common complaint.

You can tell--if the "play" button in the middle of the video is red, then the video content has been partially pre-cached; a black "play" button means nothing at all will load from YouTube until the button is clicked. They could have eliminated sending a thumbnail still image now as well.

Black box is titled and a simple click on the white arrowhead runs the video -
this speeds load time of the page,especially load time of pages with multiple videos on them.
Is it a problem??
I hate autoplay crap on the web -

this speeds load time of the page,especially load time of pages with multiple videos on them.
Is it a problem??
Not for me--I see the title of the video, so that's good enough for me. I'd rather have less clutter. I just wonder if it is a subtle way YouTube is either trying to save some bandwidth, or to nudge us back to pre-caching content (which slows everyone down). I hadn't really paid much attention until it was pointed out here.
I hate autoplay crap on the web -
Don't get me started. I think that shouldn't even be allowed, especially if it is advertising. Think about mobile users, some who pay for bandwidth used (as I do). It pisses me off when I'm flipping through news articles on my tablet and their trash starts playing. Why should I pay for them to deliver their trash to me? I'm waiting for someone to start a class action lawsuit against a few major sites for autoplay video ads--much as I hate laws and lawsuits, that is one which I feel needs to happen. Advertising has gotten too aggressive. Quite simply, people who don't (or can't) use ad blockers have learned to tune it out, so they try to shove it more and more in our faces....hence, the autoplay video ads.

It's an issue with YouTube and what they allow for embedding, based on how it was embedded.
I don't know how you can say it's youtube, and I'v been posting lots of vids on this site the same and only way I know of for years since the switch to Xenforo. Copy ULR on youtube, use the media tool in the tool bar and past ULR, click embed.

I get the black video window on a few other Xenforo sites I manage, so it's not a forum issue.
Well I'd point to the form, because it's just in the past few days this started happening here.

You can tell--if the "play" button in the middle of the video is red, then the video content has been partially pre-cached; a black "play" button means nothing at all will load from YouTube until the button is clicked.
This is how Luther had it setup, when we first switched over to the new format he didn't have it set this way but changed it maybe a year and a half ago.

They could have eliminated sending a thumbnail still image now as well.
Maybe maybe not, what I do know it looks like crap, and a title embedded in the blacked out box most the time tells little and sometimes only shows some of it.

I think it would be nice that luther investigates this and address this thread.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom