Ess amt 1b

Hey folks. Nube to this site. Just bought a pair of ESS AMT 1b from a trusted, retired doctor for a song. And I can't sing! All looks very good, cabinets and even the foam surrounds. Planning to refurb. Haven't hooked them up yet but was hoping you could tell me what the heck I have! Haven't seen this driver configuration anywhere. I have suspicions based on my research but would appreciate being informed by those who know ESS. All refurb input welcomed.

Welcome! This is a very old thread and you might want to start a new one. Never saw 1b's like that. Looks like they removed the 12" woofer and rebuilt it with a new baffle board added a smaller woofer and also added a mid-range driver. They must have modded the x-over to do this. They probably sound very nice!

Last edited:
Hey folks. Nube to this site. Just bought a pair of ESS AMT 1b from a trusted, retired doctor for a song. And I can't sing! All looks very good, cabinets and even the foam surrounds. Planning to refurb. Haven't hooked them up yet but was hoping you could tell me what the heck I have! Haven't seen this driver configuration anywhere. I have suspicions based on my research but would appreciate being informed by those who know ESS. All refurb input welcomed.
Kayo, my friend, you have a customized pair of AMT-1b's on your hands. The ESS 2-ways have always had the reputation of having a dip in the midrange area. It appears that someone with the wherewithal and ambition put in a new front baffle and made them an AMT-1b+ - a three way.
Which leads to the questions: How does the newer, smaller woofer interact with the radiator (which looks like a newer one rather than the flat ones that originally came in the 1b) and what did the designer of your modded speaker do with the crossover?
The simple solution would've been a direct copy of the AMT3 crossover with the necessary modifications to account for the impedence of the new drivers.
At any rate, you have a keeper that should give you plenty of enjoyable listening time - there's nothing like that AMT on top to pull you a little further into the performance. Their great speed results in an organic sound that other drivers can't seem to match.

Thanks porkloin and Bob. I'm excited to see your replies. If you're curious as I am, I'll post more pics next week after I get them this weekend. Like you, I'm thinking the mods address the negatives about the AMT and woofer only combo. I'll try to get pics of the x-over as well. As ESS is new to me (I've been a Klipsch guy), I'll start a new thread and likely learn a lot from you. I'll also post before/after the restoration. Think this project will be some fun! Best wishes!

Thanks porkloin and Bob. I'm excited to see your replies. If you're curious as I am, I'll post more pics next week after I get them this weekend. Like you, I'm thinking the mods address the negatives about the AMT and woofer only combo. I'll try to get pics of the x-over as well. As ESS is new to me (I've been a Klipsch guy), I'll start a new thread and likely learn a lot from you. I'll also post before/after the restoration. Think this project will be some fun! Best wishes!

If they sound good, it doesn't look like you have much of a restoration on your hands, unless there's cosmetic issues that your photographs didn't capture.
I rebuilt/modified my Rock Monitors a couple of summers ago. Like the customizer of your speakers, I replaced the front baffle. They've become the speaker to beat in my living room that will probably take more money than I care to spend to knock them off of the throne.
I'll think you'll become a convert to the cult of Oskar Heil.

Portrait.gif

Wow, beautiful! Nice work! The cabinets on mine are in surprisingly good shape. Probably haven't seen oil for 20 years so a gallon should get me started. But no chips or stains. Grill cloth needs an update. Looks like my Aunt Rosie's sofa. I'll likely repaint all the black as well. An all 'round cosmetic detailing. But if what you surmise is accurate, I'd love to do minimal work on the guts and get into listening mode earlier. Thanks!

Attachments

• s-l500-11.jpg
    s-l500-11.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 24
Wow, beautiful! Nice work! The cabinets on mine are in surprisingly good shape. Probably haven't seen oil for 20 years so a gallon should get me started. But no chips or stains. Grill cloth needs an update. Looks like my Aunt Rosie's sofa. I'll likely repaint all the black as well. An all 'round cosmetic detailing. But if what you surmise is accurate, I'd love to do minimal work on the guts and get into listening mode earlier. Thanks!
My outer baffle is the same grade of particle board as ESS used for their construction. I used it for it's weight - it's lighter than plywood or MDF. But the coarseness of it made it difficult to get smooth. Count on several coats of filler primer with sanding in between coats. As prep work is everything, name brand paint is a waste of money. I bought a bunch of house brand flat black spray bombs at a buck each and kept on spraying until I was happy with it. If memory serves me correctly, it was four coats of primer and six coats of paint.
Mask off your walnut and just resign yourself to the fact that you're going to be without the speakers for the week it's going to take applying coats and waiting for them to dry.

Baffles.JPG

The brown cloth that ESS used back in the day will be impossible to find new. If you were wiling to go with a retro black, Mojotone has a reasonable facsimile, but it's a bit pricey and you'll need a few yards. You may even like some of their other stuff.
I took a liking to their priciest cloth, unfortunately. As unhappy as I was at parting with the cash, I would've been more unhappy knowing what I could have had if I wound up settling for something else.

Below: "Salt and Pepper" cloth popularized by Marshall amps. AMT-1b with black cloth.

IMG_0526.JPG AMT-1b.JPG

Last edited:
The brown cloth that ESS used back in the day will be impossible to find new. If you were wiling to go with a retro black, Mojotone has a reasonable facsimile, but it's a bit pricey and you'll need a few yards. You may even like some of their other stuff.
I took a liking to their priciest cloth, unfortunately. As unhappy as I was at parting with the cash, I would've been more unhappy knowing what I could have had if I wound up settling for something else.

Below: "Salt and Pepper" cloth popularized by Marshall amps. AMT-1b with black cloth.

View attachment 973492 View attachment 973493
Always love seeing pics of your ESS's!

Heading toward the black cloth. Want something a bit textured but not much. Simply Speakers has some I might have a look at. Sizing and sewing may be done by my friend, the alterations lady. Got it on the paint. Ready to do as many coats as needed. Can't wait to get that wood grain popping with a little bit of gloss. I like a well oiled base of Liquid Gold, and maybe some Watco to add gloss and protection. Worked great on my Fortes, Heresys, Quartets, etc.

Those look very nice though the pic is small.
Personally, I'm a real stickler for originality most of the time. Yours being all original will be worth more if you ever decide to sell them, Just my 2c. Maybe make new grill box's, cover with fabric you prefer, and save the originals. It's only original once!

Heading toward the black cloth. Want something a bit textured but not much. Simply Speakers has some I might have a look at. Sizing and sewing may be done by my friend, the alterations lady. Got it on the paint. Ready to do as many coats as needed. Can't wait to get that wood grain popping with a little bit of gloss. I like a well oiled base of Liquid Gold, and maybe some Watco to add gloss and protection. Worked great on my Fortes, Heresys, Quartets, etc.
I don't think there's any sewing involved. If you look at some of the photos of Gonzomeep's work, it appears to be a matter of gluing the properly cut cloth to the framework. Buck up for a quart of rubber cement and a package of acid brushes (plumbing department) and don't skimp on the glue.

Plagiarized from Gonzomeep.

upload_2017-7-25_11-12-27.jpeg

Hmm, I was thinking more of a sock approach. Could end up with just one seam on a back corner, plus the lid. But I can sure handle a bottle of glue. This is all what makes these projects fun. Great ideas from knowledgeable, pleasant folks. Thx all. Going MIA till I see what I have this weekend. More to come!

Those look very nice though the pic is small.
Personally, I'm a real stickler for originality most of the time. Yours being all original will be worth more if you ever decide to sell them, Just my 2c. Maybe make new grill box's, cover with fabric you prefer, and save the originals. It's only original once!
I think the fact that the baffle has been replaced and the speakers converted to a three way has sort have ruined the "original" factor in resale, which I've always considered an hindrance to the DIY side of the hobby.

Hmm, I was thinking more of a sock approach. Could end up with just one seam on a back corner, plus the lid. But I can sure handle a bottle of glue. This is all what makes these projects fun. Great ideas from knowledgeable, pleasant folks. Thx all. Going MIA till I see what I have this weekend. More to come!
The sock approach would be fantastic if your seamstress was up to the challenge. It would probably require a good stretchy cloth as well.

Good point on both, "original" already out of the question. Not going to worry about buyers. I'll be happy first, then the right buyer will appreciate what's there. Like a home! And Sunshine can do a sock in her sleep. Also makes it changeable. Love options!

I think the fact that the baffle has been replaced and the speakers converted to a three way has sort have ruined the "original" factor in resale, which I've always considered an hindrance to the DIY side of the hobby.
Ah yes true. Got fixated on the original style grills, forgetting they have been modded. Never mind!
Thanks Glenn. I always like whipping out the photos. I hope they don't diminish my standing in the ADS Fanboy club.

View attachment 973533
Nah, I've cheated on my ADS's. Been listening to a pair of Yamaha NS-10M's the last couple days. Had an orphan and bought another one at Frankenfest, so I can finally hear them as a pair.

Whoa Nellie, what have we here?
That's the darn-dist conversion I ever did see!
Is the mid-range a sealed back?
The workmanship is really pretty good. To route out the driver recesses as the cabinet sits is no mean feat. Props to it's creator (Dr. Frankenstein no doubt).
Very clever. Thanks for sharing.
Porkloin, Thanks for the AMT-3 cheesecake photos!!!!!!!!

Whoa Nellie, what have we here?
That's the darn-dist conversion I ever did see!
Is the mid-range a sealed back?
The workmanship is really pretty good. To route out the driver recesses as the cabinet sits is no mean feat. Props to it's creator (Dr. Frankenstein no doubt).
Very clever. Thanks for sharing.
Porkloin, Thanks for the AMT-3 cheesecake photos!!!!!!!!
Always a pleasure to whip them out. The weather is nice and the table saw is out. I'm thinking of doing some high-definition filming of the building of a pair of subwoofer cabinets and chopping the whole thing into a three minute, or however long the accompanying music lasts, video with Premiere. I'll get on the phone and line up a woman or two for the gratuitous cheesecake shots.

Back
Top Bottom