iPhone to a vintage receiver...help!

Which iPhone do you have? If it is the one with the lightning port, as was mentioned above, you need the USB3 to lightning connector that will give you a USB input and a lightning input. You use the lighting input to power the phone and the USB input for the DAC.

The other option, if you don't want to have your phone docked all the time, is to use Airplay. Apple sells the Airport Express or you can buy third party knock offs. You need decent wifi to go this route, though. It is limited to 16/44.1 output, but it is bit perfect with CD quality and will transcode to 16/44.1 on the fly if you send it a different resolution. The upside to this method over Chromecast Audio is that it works with pretty much any app on your phone, where the Chromecast works with a handful of apps. The Chromecast Audio will play hi rez. Both options use wifi and optical output to a DAC or they will also send out analog audio.

If I was suggesting a combo unit of DAC/Amp/Airplay/Bluetooth/DLNA/Internet Radio, I would suggest the Yamaha WXC-50 (~$350). It also has a digital input, so you can plug in a Chromecast Audio ouput if you need to.

819e40dgouL._SL1500_.jpg

That looks like a neat unit.

You can also get a fully fledged network surround receiver for the same price. They will have built in apps for Spotify, Pandora, and maybe Tidal (not sure) and airplay support.

I'm honestly not a fan of using your phone as the source because it ties up the device, you have to worry about battery life, and there are still occasional problems with music streams stopping when the device locks etc. And Airplay can be pretty nice but it is very hard on your wifi network since the signal bounces around a lot.

For what it's worth I have had much better experiences with Airplay enabled receivers than with Airplay via Airport express. I never was able to get the Airport express to reliably stream without dropouts.

Thanks for the response but I'm not seeing a settings icon in the music app and there's not a quality setting under settings-->music.
Go to-
Settings
Music
Cellular data
High quality steaming

I just turned this on. Will see if it makes a difference. Oh, and I have an Iphone 7.
Bob

You can also get a fully fledged network surround receiver for the same price. They will have built in apps for Spotify, Pandora, and maybe Tidal (not sure) and airplay support.

I'm honestly not a fan of using your phone as the source because it ties up the device, you have to worry about battery life, and there are still occasional problems with music streams stopping when the device locks etc. And Airplay can be pretty nice but it is very hard on your wifi network since the signal bounces around a lot.

For what it's worth I have had much better experiences with Airplay enabled receivers than with Airplay via Airport express. I never was able to get the Airport express to reliably stream without dropouts.
This could be wifi router related. Once I upgraded my router all streaming (AirPlay and CCA) issues went away.

This could be wifi router related. Once I upgraded my router all streaming (AirPlay and CCA) issues went away.

I have tried quite a few. I was never able to get a non-Apple router to work at all, basically. Especially for streaming from Itunes on a laptop to Airport Express, using the Remote app to control.

I'm currently using the latest gen (and presumably last) Airport Extreme. Which router do you use? I figure I'll have to go non-Apple one of these days since they have stopped development on the Airport products.

I have tried quite a few. I was never able to get a non-Apple router to work at all, basically. Especially for streaming from Itunes on a laptop to Airport Express, using the Remote app to control.

I'm currently using the latest gen (and presumably last) Airport Extreme. Which router do you use? I figure I'll have to go non-Apple one of these days since they have stopped development on the Airport products.
I use a D-Link DIR-890L/R router. I have an AirPort Express, a GGMM M-Freebox, which a 3rd party clone of the AirPort Express, and 2 CCA devices. All are able to stream from iOS and Android devices via Tidal, Pandora and Amazon Music Unlimited. I used to have an AppleMusic subscription and that streamed without issue via the AirPort devices.

With CCA you are merely using the phone to point the music stream directly to that device, so battery usage is not a factor. AirPlay OTOH is using the phone as the stream delivery device, so battery use can be a factor. I have some old iPhones I use for streaming, not my active iPhone. I also use an iPad mini.

I have used numerous routers (Airport Extreme, Linkysys, TP Link, Google OnHub, and probably one or two others I have forgot about) and never had an issue unless I was out of range. The Orbis I use now are the best of the bunch, though. I would recommend them highly if you are willing to spend the money.

A lot of people would rather use something like the Yamaha with their own receiver. It gives you versatility to use a vintage receiver or headphone amp with a very small footprint. I don't really consider it competition for home theater receivers, but I guess it can be if you didn't have powered speakers or an amp you wanted to use it with.

The Yamaha has built in apps, as well. I still prefer using Airplay since it has the ability to use the app from the streaming service rather than the app of a receiver manufacturer that probably doesn't have the same advantages/expertise.

As for using the phone as a source, it doesn't tie up the device unless you are using the phone to make/receive a call. Personally, I like the music to stop when the phone rings, since it solves the issue of needing to find a remote to turn down the music and it makes it easier for people to hear me on the other end. You can still look at the web, Twitter, etc while streaming. The battery life would be an issue if I wasn't able to dock it at all. It gets juiced up at some other point in the day, so for me, it has not been an issue. If your phone is locking up during streaming, I can't say I have had that happen. That being said, I just use whatever device I have in my hand at the time. Quite often that is an iPad, but if I am streaming out by the pool, I prefer the iPhone.

People have their own preferences, so it is helpful to get input from people that have issues using Airplay and those that don't.

I have used numerous routers (Airport Extreme, Linkysys, TP Link, Google OnHub, and probably one or two others I have forgot about) and never had an issue unless I was out of range. The Orbis I use now are the best of the bunch, though. I would recommend them highly if you are willing to spend the money.

The last one I tried was a TP Link Gigabit router. It was very fast but I couldn't stream from iTunes on PC to Airport express at all. They just couldn't make a connection. I could stream from iPhone to Airport Express. Their customer support email address blocked me after one response to my issue. The router went back.

It's usually the PC to AE streaming that was difficult. I get the impression that not that many people do that. But it's generally how I listen to music. Do you do that at all?

I have learned that if the router doesn't let me do what I need to out of the box to not even bother trying to mess with settings or customer support. It still isn't going to work and the experience is very time consuming and frustrating.

A lot of people would rather use something like the Yamaha with their own receiver. It gives you versatility to use a vintage receiver or headphone amp with a very small footprint. I don't really consider it competition for home theater receivers, but I guess it can be if you didn't have powered speakers or an amp you wanted to use it with.

The Yamaha has built in apps, as well. I still prefer using Airplay since it has the ability to use the app from the streaming service rather than the app of a receiver manufacturer that probably doesn't have the same advantages/expertise.

As for using the phone as a source, it doesn't tie up the device unless you are using the phone to make/receive a call. Personally, I like the music to stop when the phone rings, since it solves the issue of needing to find a remote to turn down the music and it makes it easier for people to hear me on the other end. You can still look at the web, Twitter, etc while streaming. The battery life would be an issue if I wasn't able to dock it at all. It gets juiced up at some other point in the day, so for me, it has not been an issue. If your phone is locking up during streaming, I can't say I have had that happen. That being said, I just use whatever device I have in my hand at the time. Quite often that is an iPad, but if I am streaming out by the pool, I prefer the iPhone.

People have their own preferences, so it is helpful to get input from people that have issues using Airplay and those that don't.

Sure it seems like a really neat unit. I didn't see it around when I was shopping for a streaming solution earlier in the year. Is it new? I may have considered it instead of what I got, but probably not since I really wanted to add surround sound at the same time.

Interesting on the apps. Have you found an actual difference? I have noticed that some Pandora exclusive channels (like live concert streaming) are not available on the Yamaha app but are available on the iPhone app.

I haven't tried much streaming directly from iPhone lately. Back when I had a 4 or 5S streaming from the background was a problem. But maybe the newer hardware can keep up with it.

The last one I tried was a TP Link Gigabit router. It was very fast but I couldn't stream from iTunes on PC to Airport express at all. They just couldn't make a connection. I could stream from iPhone to Airport Express. Their customer support email address blocked me after one response to my issue. The router went back.

It's usually the PC to AE streaming that was difficult. I get the impression that not that many people do that. But it's generally how I listen to music. Do you do that at all?

I have learned that if the router doesn't let me do what I need to out of the box to not even bother trying to mess with settings or customer support. It still isn't going to work and the experience is very time consuming and frustrating.

Sure it seems like a really neat unit. I didn't see it around when I was shopping for a streaming solution earlier in the year. Is it new? I may have considered it instead of what I got, but probably not since I really wanted to add surround sound at the same time.

Interesting on the apps. Have you found an actual difference? I have noticed that some Pandora exclusive channels (like live concert streaming) are not available on the Yamaha app but are available on the iPhone app.

I haven't tried much streaming directly from iPhone lately. Back when I had a 4 or 5S streaming from the background was a problem. But maybe the newer hardware can keep up with it.

I find that streaming from a PC can cause dropouts if I'm also surfing or otherwise using the computer. I have experienced that via iTunes/Apple Music > AirPlay as well as Chrome browser Chromecast extension to CCA. As such I rarely use my PC for streaming.

Last edited:
Can't you simply stream music to an Apple Airport Express wifi router/receiver that plugs into the amp? I do that with an iPad, which should be the same. I have considered putting a DAC between the Express and the amp, but have not gotten around to it.

I find that streaming from a PC can cause dropouts if I'm also surfing or otherwise using the computer. I have experienced that via iTunes/Apple Music > AirPlay as well as Chrome browser Chromecast extension to CCA. As such I rarely use my PC for streaming.

I haven't had any trouble since I went hardwired and got an Airplay enabled receiver and ditched the Airport Express. The AE desperately needed some buffering capability- it basically has none which is why they are prone to dropouts. Supposedly Airplay 2.0 will address this issue.

3.5mm to RCA?
Hey, we require needlessly complicated solutions around these parts, sir! I say good day to you!

In all seriousness, though. Yes, this would of course be the simplest solution. I got one of these cheap little $5 iPhone stands from Amazon and run a short 3.5mm to RCA cable into my receiver's Aux input. Works great. Sounds great. Stupidly simple and costs less than $10 total for the entire "solution."

41jhZXOa0yL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Hey, we require needlessly complicated solutions around these parts, sir! I say good day to you!

In all seriousness, though. Yes, this would of course be the simplest solution. I got one of these cheap little $5 iPhone stands from Amazon and run a short 3.5mm to RCA cable into my receiver's Aux input. Works great. Sounds great. Stupidly simple and costs less than $10 total for the entire "solution."

That's the same thing I use. Simplicity.

I don't use a PC all that often to stream music. Even when I am sitting with a Macbook Pro in my lap, I will grab my phone or iPad and stream the audio. That being said, I used to use Airfoil for PC and Mac and I never ran into problem. The last time I tested it (which was a few months back), I was able to stream to several rooms for hours without a hiccup.

I received the Yamaha back in December 2016. It was fairly new at the time, which is why they were looking for reviews for it.

With the Yamaha, I mainly use Airplay or Bluetooth. However, I have tested Pandora in the app and it works very much like the native Pandora app. Not sure about the "special channels". It also has a "server" section, so you can just access files on the server and it works great. I have also used their internal internet radio app and it works fine. The remote will allow you to set buttons to access specific internet radio stations by hitting a button. Personally, Airplay is rock solid in my household, even using the Airport Express. There isn't much reason to use the apps in the Yamaha when I can just stream to it.

I haven't had any trouble since I went hardwired and got an Airplay enabled receiver and ditched the Airport Express. The AE desperately needed some buffering capability- it basically has none which is why they are prone to dropouts. Supposedly Airplay 2.0 will address this issue.

One thing that should be mentioned is that Apple will introduce Airplay 2 later this year. It is rumored to have a lot longer buffering, which should help those that have wifi issues. There is no word that it will be compatible with Airport Express, but it will work with the most recent AppleTV. Just something to keep in mind for those that may want to use Airplay 2 down the road.

Funny, it did not occur to me that one would want the phone actually tied up to the hifi or amp. I use Airport Express, or Bluesound Node 2 or Muzo Cobblestone and wifi so my iPad is not physically tied to the amp. the Muzo Cobblestone costs about $50 and works well to wirelessly connect the iPad to the hifi, except that like the Bluesound, it has a dedicated app you have to use.

Now I want to bring my iPhone into the loop but with as high quality as I can. I have discovered Tidal HD streaming and love it, but presently the only two ways I know of to get the iPhone thru the AUX input on my receiver is via a Bluetooth receiver or the headphones jack. Both I'm told gives you a compressed result.

I'm repeating the OP's original request because the question of "high quality" seems to have become forgotten in the mini-plug and Bluetooth discussion. :dunno:

Skimmed briefly...maybe missed it.

One point I didn't see clarified to the OP was the mention that audio from the headphone jack is compressed. I think the OP has been misinformed in this regard. AFAIK, analog out of the headphone jack is not compressed.

Certainly if the music being played is in a compressed format that is a different aspect. But, that is what it is, regardless of the output method.

Back
Top Bottom