$99 Topping D30 ( DSD ) DAC + A30

Topping is making some very good audio. I have the TP-60 integrated amp and it sounds very close to my old beloved Marantz 8b with a liquid buttery midrange and rock solid bass.

Thanks for the heads up. Im seriously considering this. If I will only use it on cd and dat, do I have to mess with the driver? Ive heard that sometimes in units that have drivers you need to wait 30 seconds for driver to load (schiit modi mb if memory serves). Thanks!

I'd use it with a Chrome Cast Audio probably also on sale for under $35. That way there's no issues with drivers and your PC. That's the way I use my Modi MB.

This really looks like a fantastic deal. If you don't want the A30 headphone amp you can knock off $15. The Topping is getting some very positive reviews. Very uncolored and neutral sounding one reviewer thought it as good as the Modi MB for a lot less money.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/topping-d30-dac?1=1&utm_placement=8&referer=ZU39SC&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated Daily Promotional 2017-07-02&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily Promotional&utm_content=1498979946527.027466734614416421356609
Thanks, Poultry. My first purchase on Massdrop. Poking around on the site, I'm thinking that being a Massdrop member could seriously damage the bank account!

You're welcome PAGS. Give us a full report when the Topping arrives. I'm sure there are many better DAC's to be had but I'm seeing lots of hair splitting to justify exorbitant expenditures to gain but a bit more improvement. As one travels up the slippery slope of DAC upgrades I'm afraid the point of diminishing returns is reached sooner than later.

My two CCA's and DAC's cover three systems in my house. I'm even streaming on the back porch. SQ is as good as when my PC was in the chain. It helps to have a good router and my streaming world
drastically improved when I added the long range Asus AC-1900.

All I want from it is a clean, detailed sound. Most reviewers seem to agree it does that with no coloring.

If $90 gives me that I'll be happy.

Eric

I own a Topping D30 and can vouch for the sound quality - it's a well made, excellent sounding DAC. It handles PCM and bitstreamed raw DSD, too (SACD ISOs, DSF files, etc.)

Sounds even better if you pass the output through a tube preamp... I run mine through one of these Chi-Fi "Matisse" circuit 6N3 tube preamps (with Russian 6H3N tubes):

r6yfiv.jpg

I'd probably grab the A30 headphone amp for the extra $15 just for the heck of it... all the Topping stuff is generally very good

FINALLY a DAC that I can comment on!

I've always used my MacBook pro just putting out audio from its own DAC to run my music from iTunes. I never previosuly thought about getting a DAC.

Main system is Fostex/Eminence Delta OB's being run by Accuphase C200/P300 and a home-brewed VFET Class-A amp for the top-end.

I got the Topping D30 and connected it up. Instantly the sound was fatter (the Macbook sounded very thin and "artificial") in comparison. The biggest impression I got was that the sound was far more "real" and "organic", it sounded less thin and digital. Closer to vinyl actually.

There is a great naturalness to this DAC, wider soundstage, it is lovely. The only thing is that you will need to replace the crappy wall-wart after a while as mine and my Dad's one (he bought one too) both literally fell apart after a while. Plus a month ago the DAC output sound in both channels was distorted. I replaced the wall-wart and all was well again.

Like I say - you guys have probably heard more DACs than I have, but I think this Topping is brilliant.

Mine arrived from China a few days ago and so far I like it a lot.

Very detailed clear sound, Small form factor and runs cool enough to be hidden in a drawer with the CCA.

It does not color the sound at all IMO, I use mine for Spotify Premium, Internet Radio and Redbook CD rips.

No complaints at all, and a big improvement over the already decent CCA. Again, very detailed.

I'm happy. (and under $100 too.)

Eric

Glad the Topping is working for you guys. Yesterday I noticed lots of distortion with my 8 year old Audio GD and I think it's internal PS is dieing. At least with a wall wart PS you can just buy another one.

I plan to replace the AGD with a D30.

(+2)

I'm in the process of buy a newer DAC and have kept an eye on the Modi 2 and Audioengine D1 ones... but the Topping D30 looks really interesting... Plus it supports the DSD formats?

[Edit] - The only thing is that I can't find distribution of it here in NL...

Last edited:
(+2)

I'm in the process of buy a newer DAC and have kept an eye on the Modi 2 and Audioengine D1 ones... but the Topping D30 looks really interesting... Plus it supports the DSD formats?

[Edit] - The only thing is that I can't find distribution of it here in NL...

I had mine shipped directly from China to the U.S.

Cant you get one to Holland the same way?

Eric

Back
Top Bottom