Small job on AU999, BIG job on AU-X1

Braver man than I sir, hope to never have to get into learning how to r&r surface mount components, not that I can see them well enough to solder them anyways :(
-Lee

Braver man than I sir, hope to never have to get into learning how to r&r surface mount components, not that I can see them well enough to solder them anyways :(
-Lee

Well I had my X2 visor on, AND the magnifying light, this worked very well and enabled me to see quite clearly what I was doing, my eyes aren't quite as good as they used to be....IMG_4766.JPG
Although my thinnest iron tip which looks like a pin head, did seem rather large!!
Here's a pic, you can see the OEM TO50 devices sitting in their locating holes, then there's the hole with "nothing" in it, oh wait, no, there is a very tiny SOT23 in there......

Depending on the alignment---
Heathkit 37 for mono tubes ok
Sg165 good for older fm stereo
Sg1100a really nice for other newer units
Your Marconi over the top lol :)

Depending on the alignment---
Heathkit 37 for mono tubes ok
Sg165 good for older fm stereo
Sg1100a really nice for other newer units
Your Marconi over the top lol :)

@Overundr1 Thats a nice collection of RF gear, I wish it was easier to find gear here, not a lot of options here in New Zealand, there were never any service places that actually did Tuner alignments. We didn't get FM in New Zealand until 1983, so by that time, manufacturers were moving towards PLL tuners etc...
So no alignment gear made it here, the only RF gear you find is ex-aircraft industry or Military units like the Marconi, there was a HP 8640 that came up the other day for sale, ex-military, but it was very rough...
This Marconi popped up and I got it for next to nothing, recently aligned, and "usually" reliable by all accounts, I know that particular HP model have issues, and its older than the Marconi too. I think the dude was selling it because it was becoming intermittent, and I can tell you, NOBODY repairs that sort of thing here....All the techs I know wont touch RF....
I actually have a HP8675A as well, should I need 1.04ghz lol....the Marconi is a backup really. Both generators are over the top, but lab grade, and extremely accurate......
I have a National Panasonic VP7633A Multiplex Modulator too, its really simple to use and maybe a little old but it was a very high end unit back in the 70's....

Once I have it completely back together, and with the owners permission, hes a top bloke, I'm going to bring it home and hook it up to my JBL L7's......

Looking forward to doing some more listening with it...

Curious to hear how you think it sounds with your best speakers that you're used to hearing on your main set-up.

Curious to hear how you think it sounds with your best speakers that you're used to hearing on your main set-up.

I can't really hook it into my main setup, it's 2 way active and very high end McIntosh, not really a fair comparison, the processing and gain setup is specific to the MC452 and Crown Macro-Tech so not easy to integrate something else into it.....I will drag it into my little studio where the L7's are and hook those up and see where we are at...

I am very very familiar with my JBL4412's and I have heard a lot of amplifiers on those speakers over the 15 years I have had them, all my Japanese receivers and integrateds I have owned...
I am also an audio engineer by trade so used to analytical listening in different environments on different gear..
The X1 is by far the most impressive I have ever heard these speakers....This after another two solid days in the lab working on another project...
IMG_4774.JPG

I can't really hook it into my main setup, it's 2 way active and very high end McIntosh, not really a fair comparison, the processing and gain setup is specific to the MC452 and Crown Macro-Tech so not easy to integrate something else into it.....I will drag it into my little studio where the L7's are and hook those up and see where we are at...

I am very very familiar with my JBL4412's and I have heard a lot of amplifiers on those speakers over the 15 years I have had them, all my Japanese receivers and integrateds I have owned...
I am also an audio engineer by trade so used to analytical listening in different environments on different gear..
The X1 is by far the most impressive I have ever heard these speakers....This after another two solid days in the lab working on another project...
View attachment 975314

Thanks for the background info. What speakers are you using in the main setup?

Did you ever listen to the 4412's with the Mac?

I ask because I've heard top Mac separates on a few speakers and have also listened to an X1 with B&W Diamonds which I also heard on top Classe separates.

Wanted to compare opinions. thanks

Looking forward to the L7 results.:lurk:

Last edited:
AU X1 + Yamaha NS2000 here

Soon I will put in the phono boards in the Sansui when the Sony TTS 8000 turntable motor is restored and it's plinth is finished.

Thanks for the background info. What speakers are you using in the main setup?

Did you ever listen to the 4412's with the Mac?

I ask because I've heard top Mac separates on a few speakers and have also listened to an X1 with B&W Diamonds which I also heard on top Classe separates.

Wanted to compare opinions. thanks

Looking forward to the L7 results.:lurk:

My Main speakers are a bit of an odd situation, and I doubt many people if any would be using them. They are made by a French company that manufactures professional speakers for live audio. They are pretty much one of the two top companies for sound reinforcement.
The Mid/High speakers are L'Acoustics 8xTi (8" coaxial 2way 100˚), and the subs are L'Acoustics SB115 (single 15") The subs really only make it just below 40hz, but for the music I am mostly listening to, they are pretty good. At some point when I can be bothered and have some spare cash, I will replace the 115's with SB18, which is a single 18", they go down to 26hz, might try them before, I might not like them!!

I've only heard my MC2205 and C32 on the 4412's, the X1 is easily up the league of those units, I would say the limiting factor there would have been the C32, the 2205 is actually more impressive than I certainly thought it would be.

I have however done a fair bit of listening to the C48 and the MC452 on the L7's, I stripped down my system before I moved house last year, and that was what I had set up for the last 8 weeks I was in my other house...
I really need to get the X1 off my bench so I think in the next few days I will drag it in and hook it up to the L7's....

Didn't get FM 'til '83? We're spoiled!

Yes the controlling body for RF in New Zealand said no no no no no and then NO over and over again, because the Taxi's used to be in this band, and they said "we are NOT making the Taxi's move to a different band just so we can have this awful pop music in Stereo!!
Hilarious!!

My Main speakers are a bit of an odd situation, and I doubt many people if any would be using them. They are made by a French company that manufactures professional speakers for live audio. They are pretty much one of the two top companies for sound reinforcement.
The Mid/High speakers are L'Acoustics 8xTi (8" coaxial 2way 100˚), and the subs are L'Acoustics SB115 (single 15") The subs really only make it just below 40hz, but for the music I am mostly listening to, they are pretty good. At some point when I can be bothered and have some spare cash, I will replace the 115's with SB18, which is a single 18", they go down to 26hz, might try them before, I might not like them!!

I've only heard my MC2205 and C32 on the 4412's, the X1 is easily up the league of those units, I would say the limiting factor there would have been the C32, the 2205 is actually more impressive than I certainly thought it would be.

I have however done a fair bit of listening to the C48 and the MC452 on the L7's, I stripped down my system before I moved house last year, and that was what I had set up for the last 8 weeks I was in my other house...
I really need to get the X1 off my bench so I think in the next few days I will drag it in and hook it up to the L7's....

That does sound like a unique main set-up. Thanks

Looks like the 4412's and L7's are pretty efficient. What gain setting are you using on the X1?

Last edited:
Sorry man, I'm just too busy at the moment, I never got a chance before I had to give it back to the customer, soi I never got to thrash the L7's with it.....

Back
Top Bottom