Grounding (?) issue with Fisher X-100

I'd still want to know where that voltage is coming from. Grounding it might fix the symptom but if there is a leak somewhere you may find it shooting sparks from wherever the insulation failure is.

That's a good question. Never thought of that. Hopefully beatcomber ask his tech that.
I will now!

I believe he might have suggested that it might have been the transformer?

could be, if the insulation was internally leaky or if it shorted to the frame you'd have voltage on the chassis. Luckily power transformers are less critical to replace than outputs. You can get those rewound or duplicated without near so much fuss.

could be, if the insulation was internally leaky or if it shorted to the frame you'd have voltage on the chassis. Luckily power transformers are less critical to replace than outputs. You can get those rewound or duplicated without near so much fuss.
I sure hope that his plan to ground the power cord is all that is needed! I should know by the end of the week.

Picking it up tonight!

The tech says it was just excessive stray current from the power transformer, and that grounding the power cord fixed the issue. I'm picking it up tonight!

Well crap, after using it for a few hours, and then coming back later and turning it back on, the right channel is basically dead. Wtf?

Back to the shop it goes. Very disappointing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom