Looking for guidance, but first about me and why I'm here.

Masonavenut

I like old stuff
Subscriber
Hi guys and gals
I've been snooping for a while and learning loads.
My name is Marc and I live in the LA burbs.
The reason that I have found this forum is because of a friend that was playing music on his Mc system.
I'm one of those old guys (62) that has raised a family and forgot about a few things I used to love. I could never bring myself to buy those black plastic systems that us middle Americans were supposed to buy.
When I was younger I used to street race on the street next to Marantz in Chatsworth, Ca. On Mason Ave and Nordoff St. Thus Masonavenut.
In those days Marantz and Fisher were unobtainium for us kids, but every now and then we got to listen to them and it was nirvana. Then life got in the way and you all know how that goes.
Fast forward to my friend and his stereo. As soon as I walked into the room I recognized that sound and said, what is that. Seriously I had not listened to anything besides headphones (traveling) in many, many years. I should add here that I am a camera operator and have done a lot of music from the old days of videos to now, so I know what music is supposed to sound like.
He explained what he had and I was transported back many years. We passed the rest of the evening drinking scotch and listening to music like I haven't since I was young.
I since have purchased a Marantz 2270 a Fisher 200 (which pulls garage duty) and a Fisher 400.
I'm running the 2270 and 400 through Klipsch Forte IIIs. It sounds magnificent.
I'm not a soldering kinda guy and am restoring some cars so between those things and work I don't have to much time to restore the amps. I have read about what to look for with the old tube stuff and am worried about spending to much more time on the 400 with out a restoration.
The Marantz is almost finished at a local restorer but was looking for someone that really knows Fishers around the LA area.
Any recommendations or help or comments are welcome.
Thanks for taking time to read this.
Marc

Last edited:
Welcome to AK Marc, can't help with anyone in LA but perhaps someone will come along able to help. Good luck with your Fisher! Al

Fred Longworth is also a very long time AK'er (see post #4). Closer to you in SIMI VALLEY is Tom Ishimoto. One of the guys here may know the name of his shop. Both are very good tech's and will have the 400 singing in quick time.

Thank you guys. I appreciate the info.
I'll keep you informed on the 400. When I pull it out of service I'll take some pictures so we have before and after shots.

Hah, I had an '88 BMW also but it was a 528i. Great car.
As far as Scotch ….. well …… "Wish you were here" and a glass (or two) is pretty much heaven.

Thank you again for the info guys. I have made contact with Mr. Ishimoto and will see him tomorrow with the 400 under my arm.

I'm very familiar with ex wives. I have two. Third time is the charm. At least in my case.
I took the 400 over to Mr. Ishimoto today. Absolutely love the guy at first chat. I knew we were on the same page when he started referencing Dark Side of the Moon and digital vs analog listening.
Here are a few pics so you know what I have.
I got it off of eBay. I kinda feel like I stole it. It works well.
I'll wait for Tom to tell me what he thinks but I'm ready for a full bore restore.
IMG_0395.JPGIMG_0400.JPGIMG_0404.JPGIMG_0399.JPGIMG_0401.JPGIMG_0402.JPGIMG_0403.JPGIMG_0403.JPGIMG_0406.JPG

Last edited:
Good looking Late Model 400. Look thru the stickies (at the top of the Forum Page) and you'll find a lot of threads about different upgrades for the 400. Some of these you might want to make Tom aware of if he's not already. Good info.

Heard from Tom. Here's what he found.
BTW I don't feel like I stole it anymore.:)
All good, cant wait to hear it all fixed up.
I forgot to ask him because I'm working, what does it mean that it clips into an 8 ohm load?

1. The main amp is working but it's presently putting out a little bit over 16 watts per channel before clipping into an 8 ohm load.
2. The FM tuner is way out of alignment.
3. The phono preamp is noisy.
4. If you look at the stem of the high voltage power supply capacitors are starting to leak. The internal low voltage looks like they have been replaced previously.
5. The filaments on the incandescent lamps inside the uni are pretty old. They should be replaced.

So he recommends

1. Replace all four output tubes with preselected matched gain Electro Harmonix Tubes. Run the standard FTC precondition test and then set the phase invertor adjustment.
2. Realign the FM tuner and FM stereo multiplex adjustment.
3. Replace the phono preamp tubes and add missing tube shields.
4. Since the low voltage capacitors have been previously replaced, I don't think it's necessary to replace them. However, the 3 massive high voltage multisegment capacitors need
to be replaced. In all,this would entail taking out the multisegment capacitors and adding 8 high voltage capacitors to your unit.Because the original capacitors are no longer
available, we would build a terminal bridge in the belly of the unit and add the additional capacitors inside the chassis of the unit so that the cosmetics would not change.
5. Replace the lamps with LEDs. The LEDs are warm white so the color will not deviate from the original look.

Clipping means that the power amp is just starting to distort, and 16W ain't very much which is why he wants to change the power tubes.

Checkout Hayseed Hamfest for the multisection can caps. I just installed a set in my 400, they're nice and you don't have to worry about headache of mounting a bunch of individual caps and the extra wire and whatnot.

Good looking 400! Good luck with the restoration, you won't regret it. I don't own a 400 but a 800C, making me rethink my options on one. :) Al

Thank you gents, I'm a bit smitten with these amps. I can't seem to keep myself from looking for more. As well as looking at them.
I'm going to try to keep a lid on that for a while as I discover everything I can about the two I have. It's tough to do though. I'm sure I'm not telling you all anything you don't already know.
BTW just a little note on this forum in general.
Very helpful folks with no attitude that I have seen. Also, the site itself is very intuitive and easy to maneuver as well as it seems to be well built as all the operations are pretty darn easy. So thanks to whoever is responsible for that.

1.) Hayseed Hamfest caps, rather than the terminal bridge will probably cost less in labor but will be offset by cost of parts (DO IT!). They even have a kit for the 400. Your choice as to the bias caps/dual cap. https://hayseedhamfest.com/products/fisher-400-re-cap-kit-4-cans
2.) Get the EH 7868's from Jim McShane. He'll match them at operating voltages on a custom rig. Good tubes.

Make sure he uses NON RUSSIAN TUBES in the Phase Inverter position unless he removes the noose. Ask him to read this thread http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/fisher-400-service-bulletin.671281/ that details the why's and wherefors of removing the "NOOSE" from the 400.

I can't seem to keep myself from looking for more. As well as looking at them.
I'm going to try to keep a lid on that for a while as I discover everything I can about the two I have.

By all means, research other amps, but I think you can rest assured that you have one of the best Fisher's and you'll be hard pressed to find something better.
We've all experienced the urge to "upgrade", but Fishers are the gold standard or benchmark that many other amps are compared to.

Back
Top Bottom