If i was to manufacture a perfect set of speakers...

@butcherblock : You are asking the same question that has been asked since the invention of sound reproduction.

There is no single answer that's why there is such diversity in the marketplace. That's also why many of us have multiple pairs of speakers.

Might be easier to describe the perfect woman.

Ok so i have not been around much. But i got thinking. Who makes speakers like the old Pioneer speakers still? 3 or 4 way big box systems.

I think that would be great to use today's technology with yesterday's designs. Does anyone? Who thinks there is a market for it?

Ok so i have not been around much. But i got thinking. Who makes speakers like the old Pioneer speakers still? 3 or 4 way big box systems.

I think that would be great to use today's technology with yesterday's designs. Does anyone? Who thinks there is a market for it?
Harbeth.
http://www.harbeth.co.uk/

harbeth-homepageslider1_large.jpg

Last edited:

For many of the posters on AK yes. (bear in mind many of them will not buy anything new). For the rest of the world I would say no.

For many of the posters on AK yes. (bear in mind many of them will not buy anything new). For the rest of the world I would say no.
Fair reply, kind of what i was thinking. But, i am here to here from all of you. What brings you to this conclusion?

With all of the technology if yesterday and today, what is the characteristics of a great speaker to you? What does the speaker of your dreams entail? What would make you want a speaker. In lame mans terms: What is today's market lacking that i could manufacture to fill the void or target a high demand?
Attractive, cheap, and sounds good.

I understand cost and performance are major factors. What is a respectable price you would pay for a high quality pair of speakers? Previously manufactured examples are welcomed.

$400-500 I think is a sweet spot, both for people who will try them out for a year or so before moving on to something else, and people who will never buy another pair of speakers.

Also, what configurations are the most popular? 2.0 stereo? 2.1 stereo? 5.1 surround?

Personally I prefer 2.0 but 2.1 is totally legitimate and offers a lot of flexibility.

I think the perfect woman would be one you meet who describes a revolutionary new transducer she's been working on in her personal anechoic chamber...

Well, apparently the market says small and portable is key. Also based on the market I would say it doesn't really need to sound very good. You should make millions if you keep to that formula.

I think that I would try oval drivers vs conical and place them in pyramid cabinets with an eyeball tweeter on the top of the pyramid and down firing sub woofer at the bottom of the cabinet.

If the oval drivers don't work use round and this would be a three way speaker with powered subwoofer.

Powered sub can also be switched to passive.

Then design a small desktop 2 way pyramid, 2 way pyramids with stands and subwoofer and last but not least The Great Pyramid which costs $100,000 for the person who has more money than sense.

The great pyramid would have drivers on all four sides of the pyramid with a tweeter on top that is similar to the
MBL's and of course the best powered subwoofers facing down at the bottom of the cabinet.

Pyramids everywhere!

The Power of the Pyramid!

BUT!
Heres the problem with a new great idea!
Usually someone has already thought of it!

IMG_4412.JPG IMG_4411.JPG
IMG_4414.JPG
IMG_4418.JPG

IMG_4415.JPG
IMG_4417.JPG

Last edited:
Fair reply, kind of what i was thinking. But, i am here to here from all of you. What brings you to this conclusion?

After being around here for more than eight years it's not that difficult to know which direction many here lean toward. That would be vintage gear above all else and speakers with ten and twelve inch woofers.

As for what I'd like; that would be full range ESL's with flat response to 20Hz, +110dB@10' maximum level and a price (<$1000) that someone (Me) who is living on a disability income can afford.:D

Last edited:
After being around here for more than eight years it's not that difficult to know which direction many here lean toward. That would be vintage gear above all else and speakers with ten and twelve inch woofers.

As for what I'd like; that would be full range ESL's with flat response to 20Hz, +110dB@10' maximum level and a price (<$1000) that someone (Me) who is living on a disability income can afford.:D
Yup that is exactly where i leaning rewards. A similar design to cs-99 to be more exact. I think that over the years that style have proven to be timeless along with the amazing rich full sound they made. I miss speakers like that and feel a new version with modern styling and components is missing from the market. Smaller speakers are defiantly here to stay, but the vintage gear is the heart of the industry still IMHO... I would live to produce a version to fill that gap for many reasons. I want to bring that era back to life and give it a new fresh breath. Also i need to generate funds to develop my new driver.

I am thinking cs-99 is a benchmark and still fetches as much as $1000 a pair in great condition. I feel that leaves a retail price with enough room for profit and the multiple driver configuration. What models do all you suggest?

I think that I would try oval drivers vs conical and place them in pyramid cabinets with an eyeball tweeter on the top of the pyramid and down firing sub woofer at the bottom of the cabinet.

If the oval drivers don't work use round and this would be a three way speaker with powered subwoofer.

Powered sub can also be switched to passive.

Then design a small desktop 2 way pyramid, 2 way pyramids with stands and subwoofer and last but not least The Great Pyramid which costs $100,000 for the person who has more money than sense.

The great pyramid would have drivers on all four sides of the pyramid with a tweeter on top that is similar to the
MBL's and of course the best powered subwoofers facing down at the bottom of the cabinet.

Pyramids everywhere!

The Power of the Pyramid!

BUT!
Heres the problem with a new great idea!
Usually someone has already thought of it!

View attachment 979389 View attachment 979390
View attachment 979394
View attachment 979411

View attachment 979397
View attachment 979408

Very interesting... I like the style...

Yup that is exactly where i leaning rewards. A similar design to cs-99 to be more exact. I think that over the years that style have proven to be timeless along with the amazing rich full sound they made. I miss speakers like that and feel a new version with modern styling and components is missing from the market. Smaller speakers are defiantly here to stay, but the vintage gear is the heart of the industry still IMHO... I would live to produce a version to fill that gap for many reasons. I want to bring that era back to life and give it a new fresh breath. Also i need to generate funds to develop my new driver.

I am thinking cs-99 is a benchmark and still fetches as much as $1000 a pair in great condition. I feel that leaves a retail price with enough room for profit and the multiple driver configuration. What models do all you suggest?

If the CS-99 type sound is what you're after you'll never get me (ESL fan) to bite. CS-99's have never sounded good to me. When you put a large underdamped woofer in a cabinet too small you get the CS-99 sound. That is, flabby boomy bass that doesn't go very deep. I don't much like HPM's either.

The speaker has to be linear, with a minimum of crossover points. Harmonic distortion should be less than 2%. The directivity of the speaker should be constant and be extended as low as possible. It would be nice if the speaker were fairly efficient, upper 90's would be nice. The bass should extend to below 20 HZ, and be non resonant to an octave above the 16,000 Hz. 110 db is all I need, which would be about 120 db at 1 meter. The speaker should keep signal off the floor and ceilings above 300 HZ. I don't mind a fairly large foot print as long as it is shallow. 20" or less. The HF should be emitted at ear height unless you use a line array. See if you can approve on a JBL M2 as a start.

Last edited:
I want and will design a totally new driver. Full range unlike any other, hopefully.

I'd make it a soft green, not as blue-green as a robin's egg, but not as yellow-green as daffodil buds. Now, the only sample I could get is a little too yellow, but don't let whoever does it go to the other extreme and get it too blue. It should just be a sort of grayish-yellow-green.....

I'd make it a soft green, not as blue-green as a robin's egg, but not as yellow-green as daffodil buds. Now, the only sample I could get is a little too yellow, but don't let whoever does it go to the other extreme and get it too blue. It should just be a sort of grayish-yellow-green.....

:rflmao:

I was thinking along the line of nano-fiber solid piston, magnet-less, with lab grown hummingbird muscle, fired with pico volts.

Back
Top Bottom