Any Suggestions for an Entry Level Disc Player? What About the Oppo BDP-83?

Jammin Floyd

Jammin' some Floyd, man.
Hello!

I'm a vinyl guy. My whole music collection is on vinyl. Recently I've been considering broadening my horizons and allowing myself a little more versatility in the form of a disc player. I want something that will play any form of audiophile CD as well as Blu Ray. I hate to see a good CD on Barter Town or at a garage sale or something and not have the capacity to play it.

I've been doing some quick reconnaissance on players and found a seemingly good deal on an Oppo BDP-83 (sub $200). Is this a decent player as far as sound quality is concerned? It seems like it would read all the formats I'd be interested in. I'm extremely ignorant about this format (and the whole world of audio, relative to some people's knowledge).

I appreciate any help or advice. I'm not looking to commit heavily in this format, but I at least wanted the option to play discs if I wanted to. Are players at this price point even worth it?

If the Oppo is "gently used," you shouldn't be disappointed. Oppo units play virtually every disc medium, CD, DVD, Blu Ray, SACD DVD-Audio, etc.

The Oppo is good. You can also find older model Sony blu-ray players that can do CD, DVD and SACD for really cheap right now. They sound good, as well.

I have a BDP-S570 that I got for about $40 used. Has analog stereo outs as well as the normal digital outs.

Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it.

if possible get the Oppo BDP-83se

I have my eye on one (an 83se) on ebay that's about to close. It's a steal for the price currently listed, but I seriously doubt it will stay there. I'm going to try to swoop in right before it ends, but I can't really go any higher on the price. I'm sure someone will bid more than I can compete with. If I can't get ahold of that one there's a regular 83 in great shape that I'm probably going to go for.

I love my 83.

One thing to keep in mind is that many of them had a tray opening issue. It's fixable, but you may want to confirm if the one you are after is OK, or of it has had this issue addressed.

Well, they way overbid me on the 83se, and I waited too long to "buy it now" on the 83. Someone beat me to it. I'll have to wait for the next good deal.

Sony players typically don't do DVD-A. I have a couple Samsung DVD players that do both SACD and DVD-A.

I've also been thinking about getting one of the "older" Oppo universal players for strictly audio playback. There seem to be several models out there, DVP-83, DVP-93, DVP-95, DVP-103, DVP-105, then there are the various Special Edition models (SE, Modwright, Nuforce, Darbee, etc.). I know some of the newer models have better video performance, and support newer video modes, but that is immaterial for my intended use.

So, for strictly audio use, which of these Oppo players represents the best bang for the buck - say at the $300 and $500 price points. Is a newer model necessarily better? For example, would a stock DVP-93 be a better player/deal at the same price as a stock DVP-83?

I've also been thinking about getting one of the "older" Oppo universal players for strictly audio playback. There seem to be several models out there, DVP-83, DVP-93, DVP-95, DVP-103, DVP-105, then there are the various Special Edition models (SE, Modwright, Nuforce, Darbee, etc.). I know some of the newer models have better video performance, and support newer video modes, but that is immaterial for my intended use.

So, for strictly audio use, which of these Oppo players represents the best bang for the buck - say at the $300 and $500 price points. Is a newer model necessarily better? For example, would a stock DVP-93 be a better player/deal at the same price as a stock DVP-83?

if possible get the Oppo BDP-83se

This ^

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for one of those. I've never seen one on my local craigslist. Is it possible to have a regular OPPO DVD-83 upgraded to the SE version. I see the plain DVP-83 on a fairly regular basis on my local craigslist.

I just looked and there are some BDP-93s dirt cheap on eBay. Missing cords and remotes are no big deal, cord is standard IEEE and I pick them out of the recycling at work when I need one. Oppo is really good about replacement remotes, they are $8 or $12 depending on model.

And if you run across a BDP-105 for half its original price or less, I'd recommend grabbing it. Probably the best optical player I've had in my system, and I've used several Sony ES machines, Onkyo DX-706, etc.

Back
Top Bottom