Today's SOUL Playlist

Got the Critereon Collection Monterey Pop DVD Box set this week (used, via Ahartig in bartertown!)
The festival was just over 50 years ago, June 16–18, 1967, and I have been catching up with Otis Redding ...

The box set features the remastered Film "Monterey Pop" as well as a second disc with extended performances and performers not in the original film,
and a 3rd disc with 2 extra films - Jimi plays Monterey, and Otis at Monterey.
I'd seen the Jimi Hendrix footage many times over the years, but Otis ... OMG
... and backed up by the Stax House band - Booker T and the MGs ...(love those guys!)
Its a short film, but you really get the sense of what a magnetic and talented man he was!!

Barely than six months later, on December 10, 1967, Otis Redding, along with four members of the Bar-Kays and two others,
perished in a plane crash near Madison, Wisconsin. He was 26 years old.

otis.jpg

Last edited:
Got the Critereon Collection Monterey Pop DVD Box set this week (used, via Ahartig in bartertown!)
The festival was just over 50 years ago, June 16–18, 1967, and I have been catching up with Otis Redding ...

The box set features the remastered Film "Monterey Pop" as well as a second disc with extended performances and performers not in the original film,
and a 3rd disc with 2 extra films - Jimi plays Monterey, and Otis at Monterey.
I'd seen the Jimi Hendrix footage many times over the years, but Otis ... OMG
... and backed up by the Stax House band - Booker T and the MGs ...(love those guys!)
Its a short film, but you really get the sense of what a magnetic and talented man he was!!

Barely than six months later, on December 10, 1967, Otis Redding, along with four members of the Bar-Kays and two others,
perished in a plane crash near Madison, Wisconsin. He was 26 years old.

View attachment 979339

Does that box set include "Laura Nyro"?

I think there are a couple of her tracks on the "outtakes" disc ...
I'm not a fan so I skipped through them ...as I generally do with the mamas and the papas ...

All her life, Laura Nyro thought they booed her at the Monterey Festival. Someone yelled "Beautiful", not "Boo"! There's a Youtube video showing that performance and you can clearly hear it was "Beautiful" a fan said! I really like Laura Nyro and the Mamas & Papas!

3019345.jpg

Greg Perry / One For The Road
1975 Casablanca

All her life, Laura Nyro thought they booed her at the Monterey Festival. Someone yelled "Beautiful", not "Boo"! There's a Youtube video showing that performance and you can clearly hear it was "Beautiful" a fan said! I really like Laura Nyro and the Mamas & Papas!
I was only 13 when the Festival Happened ...
The M&Ps were a little before my time - and a bit too poppy for my tastes ...

Tho surprisingly, one of my first concerts was The Association in the summer of 1970,
and "Along Comes Mary" is on the Monterey Pop outtakes DVD ...

Last edited:
I was only 13 when the Festival Happened ...
The M&Ps were a little before my time - and a bit too poppy for my tastes ...

I was 6 years old when that Festival was in '67. I do remember the Ms&Ps playing on the radio at the young age. I really like their harmony! Also really like the 5th Dimension with their harmony too! Those were the days! :music:

More R&B than Soul -

The Best of MFSB: Love Is The Message
51c+M3Ui2RL._SX425_.jpg

We got to know some of these tracks when local WRC-TV4 news anchor
Jim Vance passed away suddenly from cancer (it was very fast).
Apparently "My Mood" was his signature song.
I liked the sound, and the CD was very reasonable through Amazon ...

Last edited:
More R&B than Soul -

The Best of MFSB: Love Is The Message
View attachment 979645

We got to know some of these tracks when local WRC-TV4 news anchor
Jim Vance passed away suddenly from cancer (it was very fast).
Apparently "My Mood" was his signature song.
I liked the sound, and the CD was very reasonable through Amazon ...

Nice! :thumbsup: I have a few "MFSB" albums. They did the theme song to the tv show "Soul Train". "The Three Degrees" did the background singing on that tune.

R-403684-1289660956.jpeg.jpg
R-403684-1320619140.jpeg.jpg

Ramsey Lewis / Sun Goddess
1974 Columbia

Heating up the Soul Cafe with the Sun Goddess! Looks like the cover to the Bond movie "Goldfinger". ;) Ramsey is joined by EW&F on this one!:music:

Back
Top Bottom