Most Expensive Record / CD / Cassette That You Own (According to Discogs)

Outta Ammo

What's the single most expensive media item in your collection?

Not what YOU think is the most valuable to you. Not sentimental value. Not a family heirloom. Not any of that stuff.. But rather what Discogs (or any other source / reference page / third party / online marketplace) deems expensive or collectable.

For me, it (fortunately) falls under both categories (because my brother knew I was a fan and gifted it to me - all he would ever say about it was, "Yeah, I paid a lot for that one." I can never get anything else out of him about it.)

Beastie Boys: Paul's Boutique
It's the sealed, original pressing, and a rare 8-Page Gatefold version.
If I rated mine here, it would be a Condition: 9.5/10. That would (by this standard) bring mine around $1,000.
I've been offered $400. I turned it down.
Here's the discogs page screenshot:
IMG_0387.PNG
I'm interested in what y'all've got. Please share.

Last edited:
Be advised that what someone asks for it isn't what it's truly worth. The highest sold was $180, though maybe not sealed, it's a good idea of what it's worth. Mine personally, though probably low compared to some others, would be a Sidney Bechet German press (only 1 other for sale on Discogs in Europe) which I couldn't sell in BT for $45.

Be advised that what someone asks for it isn't what it's truly worth. The highest sold was $180, though maybe not sealed, it's a good idea of what it's worth. Mine personally, though probably low compared to some others, would be a Sidney Bechet German press (only 1 other for sale on Discogs in Europe) which I couldn't sell in BT for $45.

True. Any value can only be certain when someone else buys it. But, like I said.... I've been offered $400 from a lifelong friend that does not BS. Offer is still open too. So, at the minimum it's $400.
But, ain't it fun to dream of what might be?

I'd sell it and buy another original at 1/4 the price (open). It's worth the listen, best album they had IMO.

Totally up to you then Outta. $400 is generous. Ebay completed listings might give some insight to that price. Just me though. I doubt any Beastie's album will go for that price ever.

Totally up to you then Outta. $400 is generous. Ebay completed listings might give some insight to that price. Just me though. I doubt any Beastie's album will go for that price ever.

I gotta say....I reeeeeeaaallly appreciate you contributing three times in (what I view) an attempt to rain on my parade and a light-hearted thread. I intended it to be a fun entry. But, I really appreciate the economics lesson on Supply and Demand.

I guess that I'll take random advice and sell it the first sucker I can find that's willing to listen to an album that will never go for that price.

Oh man Outta, I was in no way trying to rain on the parade! No insult intended, honestly. I could be totally wrong, but if someone shows me a Beastie's that goes for more than $200 I'd admit failure to all my posting. Either way, I guarantee you'll get a ton of responses to their most expensive album, because it's a good thread.

@ Popsike shows an example Paul's Boutique that hammered @ USD 949, another @ USD 400, and several (seven) more that brought => USD 200.

I have a Lee Morgan Volume 2 Sextet original pressing (767 Lexington, RVG, ear, flat edge). The cover is VG+/EX condition, but unfortunately the record is probably VG- at best. Plays quite nicely with a mono stylus, but not so well with a stereo stylus. Even with the record in this condition, it's probably the most valuable record I have.

According to Discogs, my Home of the Hits first pressing of The Modern Lovers would fetch more than $200. I find this hard to believe, because I don't think it's all that hard to come by, and because I paid under $50 for my copy on eBay a few years ago.

Also according to the site, my numbered first pressing white album LPs would go for around $150 -- again, a little hard to believe, imo.

I don't know what to think about Discogs. I have an open sealed (i.e., I opened the shrinkwrap but left it on) copy of Live Peace in Toronto in perfect shape, including the calendar. The site shows listings for more than $300 and even $1,200 for sealed copies. Seriously!? I picked up mine for around $20.

Couple of deluxe sets I've recently bought. Sgt Pepper's latest 50th remaster ($160 med.) and Steve Wilson's Hand Cannot Erase (sealed).

The most valuable are the series of 12 discs of Gurdjieff/de Hartmann recordings made by Alain Kremski on Naive in France. Most of them aren't listed on Discogs and the ones that are....... have no price indicated. There's one on Amazon.de at the moment for 750 Euro, I paid around $200 for the last disc to complete the set.

The ones I'm aware of are all limited edition CDs that I got from Japan.

Beth Orton – Superpinkymandy, CD. I Paid $150.
Discogs:
Lowest: $149.99
Median: $260.44
Highest: $499.99

Tom Jans – Eyes of an Only Child and Dark Blonde. Purchased new for ¥1800 each.
Both complete with obi and original inserts. $100.

As for LPs, I have a bunch of odd ball, limited edition and signed stuff that's probably worth something. I've made a number of 1st entries on Discogs with some of the stuff. I'm not selling.

I don't know about values for this but about a year ago I went looking for their song "I'm Straight", and found it on a CD reissue of this record. Great stuff, I forgot what I paid but it wasn't much.
Nice. I have a Rhino CD copy of the album with that song. They should have released it on the original LP. It fits it so well.

Nothing earth-shattering in my collection, but I'd say it's probably my original pressing of Neil Young - Harvest Moon from 1992.

I picked up a NM original mono of Dylan's Blonde on Blonde last year at the flea market that would probably be up there too. Much of my rarest stuff are original copies from 90's indie bands like Pavement, Guided By Voices, Yo la Tengo, Flaming Lips, etc., but there is much less demand for those.

Back
Top Bottom