Official AR Turntable Owners Thread

What type of oil do you use on your ARs, and how do you oil the tonearm?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

What type of oil do you use on your ARs, and how do you oil the tonearm?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
to oil the tonearm, add oil to the top of the well pocket until it's to the top of the pocket. heavier oil there adds to lateral damping. STP is not the answer though. in the main spindle, nothing heavier than 10W. 5-20 works just fine, as it doesn't become "20W' until it gets to 165deg. which it will never do.

A quick question if I may. Spin down takes forever. Is it ok to manually stop the platter to change record or should I let it stop on it's own thx

A quick question if I may. Spin down takes forever. Is it ok to manually stop the platter to change record or should I let it stop on it's own thx
LOL.........that's the taxable platter inertia. a bunch for a not so heavy platter. stop it at your pleasure, causes no belt wear

to oil the tonearm, add oil to the top of the well pocket until it's to the top of the pocket. heavier oil there adds to lateral damping. STP is not the answer though. in the main spindle, nothing heavier than 10W. 5-20 works just fine, as it doesn't become "20W' until it gets to 165deg. which it will never do.

Thanks Marc for your reply. What about the hole the inner platter goes into, will it take the same amount as the tonearm?

Thanks Marc for your reply. What about the hole the inner platter goes into, will it take the same amount as the tonearm?

invert the outer platter, or take it off so you have a bit more room. use a long pipette and add a few drops where the spindle rises out of the subchassis, you should have a little oil climbing the spindle (crowning) when the platter spins

It has to be love! ;) It is terrific that this XA went from one nice home to another. Enjoy!
It is indeed, I'm very much in love with this beautiful work of art. Thank you, I am honored that I was able to adopt it and give her a life long home.

congrats, it's a beautiful table, enjoy it. Can wait for your impressions
Thank you. So far it is an absolute stunner of a performer running it with my LP gear a3sm vessel cartridge while waiting on another cartridge that I will be trying out on it, I think the lp gear likes this table better than my Ariston rd 40, because it sounds much better on the XA. Will give a much more detailed impression once I've lived with it for awhile, but so far it's very positive.

Audiofreak71

Thank you. So far it is an absolute stunner of a performer running it with my LP gear a3sm vessel cartridge while waiting on another cartridge that I will be trying out on it, I think the lp gear likes this table better than my Ariston rd 40, because it sounds much better on the XA. Will give a much more detailed impression once I've lived with it for awhile, but so far it's very positive.

Audiofreak71
Congrats on the table. Mr. Pig had great things to say about the SQ and the looks are stunning.

Welcome to the club!

Bob

mister pig, why I thought you loved your AR?

I certainly did enjoy the XA, and its a remarkable sounding table. My reason for sending it over to Aufiofreak71 is that I need an arm that can accomodate my moving coil cartridges. The XA arm requires shimming to make fine turning changes in VTA. Or you have to be willing to loosen the arm tube and rotate it and then adjust azimuth on the head shell to get the cartridge set up. Also most of the moving coils I run are heavy, in the 10 gram range, and the head shells I have are heavy-also in the 10 gram range, and that means hanging the counterweight off the end of the arm stub.

Since this XA is in perfect shape, I could not bring myself to modify it to accept a non factory arm. So that meant either find a new caretaker for it, or be married to a single cartridge. Now I am not a weekly cartridge swapper, but I get enough different cartridges in here that I get the opportunity to listen to that this is an issue for me. So AF71 was always appreciative of this table, and he lives a few miles from me so no shipping is involved, so it just made sense to allow him the opportunity to live with it a bit and see if it was of interest to him and met his needs. It appears to be so, and so I decided to move my Serac back into the system and have it occupy my second turntable position. I am not sure if it stays here for the long haul, or if it too will be relocated in the fall. It is a very serious table and capable of excellent analog playback, but it costs many more dollars than what the XA costs, even with Marc's upgrades. The Morinified XA is one of the best values I have run across in this hobby. I would recommend it to many folks.

Regards
Mister Pig

Last edited:

Audiofreak71
any medium to high compliance cart should work flawlessly on the arm. not much to look at arm wise, but it does what it's supposed to do, and that's keep the rock firmly planted in the groove

any medium to high compliance cart should work flawlessly on the arm. not much to look at arm wise, but it does what it's supposed to do, and that's keep the rock firmly planted in the groove
That's good to know. I actually love the look and simplicity of the arm. Indeed it does keep the needle planted firmly in the groove which makes the cart track very good. There's so much detail and such a wide Soundstage coming from this table that I'm listening to all my albums again to hear what I was missing. My hats off to you Marc for the incredible technical build with this table and Bill for the great craftsmanship of the woodwork. :bowdown:

Back
Top Bottom