Gear rack/stands

Hey everyone Im looking for some help. I am trying to find a stand/rack/cabinet for my gear. 3 issues, Im broke, I have a 2 year old, and 3rd, if at all possible I dont want to mount anything to my walls. I rent and its just more holes to mess with. I am limited on my DIY as Im in an apartment. My budget would preferably be $100. I keep an eye on CL but so far no luck except ridiculous prices on beat up cheap cabinets. If it comes down to it Ill probably build a pipe shelf unit like this:
b5a8ddb943474f2a658751e1c5bfc301--vinyl-record-storage-shelf-lp-storage.jpg

Just really trying not to drill more holes in my wall.

Hey everyone Im looking for some help. I am trying to find a stand/rack/cabinet for my gear. 3 issues, Im broke, I have a 2 year old, and 3rd, if at all possible I dont want to mount anything to my walls. I rent and its just more holes to mess with. I am limited on my DIY as Im in an apartment. My budget would preferably be $100. I keep an eye on CL but so far no luck except ridiculous prices on beat up cheap cabinets. If it comes down to it Ill probably build a pipe shelf unit like this:

Just an idea. I recently picked up this old computer rack for free. I was going to just use it for storage, but the thing is build like a tank and is wide enough to accommodate the larger receivers from the 70's, so I am heavily considered turning it into a great stereo cabinet. The doors and sides are removeable, so all I really need to do is build some shelves. Some fresh paint and it will look like new.

IMG_2612.jpg

100.jpg

Sansui TT rack - 1980 (+/-)

GX-100 - for regular size amps. 'Normal' size amps fit fine with breathing room (see photo above).
GX-200 - for large sized amps (good working size... even for normal size amps, even more breathing room).
GX-300 - for 'monster' sized amps (BIG - takes up some real estate).

Note: only 3 shelves & bottom LP storage area.

Rare. They are very hard to find now (especially in really good shape), but they are really NICE! :)

Last edited:
More fun cobbling together your own. My biggest problem was the Sansui QRX-9001 - that takes up a LOT of real estate. Good news is, that left plenty of room to go with a larger monitor for the server.

home-again.jpg

Have you considered IKEA Kallax?

How handy are you? That is a darn easy to make rack. 1/2" NPT Galvanized or Black Steel Nipples of the length needed, 1/2" NPT Fittings (Tees/90 Deg Ell/Floor Flanges)and custom cut shelves from 1" Thick Plywood or MDF.

Thanks, it's 1.5" MDF shelves, 1" steel all thread (overkill), and PVC scratched up with a file and painted to give the faux wood look.

I still want to use black oxide or gun blue for the nuts on top/bottom, maybe something else but those seem like the best options I've found so far to make them black.

Last edited:
Thanks, it's 1.5" MDF shelves, 1" steel all thread (overkill), and PVC scratched up with a file and painted to give the faux wood look.
Wow! I would have never guessed that that was PVC. Looks great.
I still want to use black oxide or gun blue for the nuts on top/bottom, maybe something else but those seem like the best options I've found so far to make them black.
Why not just paint the nuts?

I used Ikea Lack tables, cut to size and stacked.....

and here i thought i was the only Lack-hacker around. I went with the black-brown, and used a couple of the large tv-stands for the base. i have a lot of gear on this rack, and more is coming. unlike the other's i've seen, i made a jig to attach a cleat to the surface of each shelf to secure the leg of the shelf above. it took a bit of work, but make the assembly really easy. really though, i need a full wood shop to do a serious job.

IMG_20170725_145819.jpg

^^^ I'll have to look there again when I'm back at my pc, but it doesn't look like they have the cap nuts for 1" thread in the black finish. And even so, the regular 1" black oxide nuts are over $12 each, and I'd want six of them plus the cap nuts.

I'm just being cheap and would rather use the stuff I already have. I didn't plan on the rack turning out the way it did, otherwise I would've done like you suggested and bought black nuts to begin with. I guess I could just paint them but I didn't think it'd hold up well.

Oh, and the PVC wood thing wasn't my idea, I just found it on Google. But it still turned out nice, and it's really simple to do.

Back
Top Bottom