9090db Loudness and 300hz bass settings

Steveomatic

Hi,

I have a question I hope I can get some feedback on. I have a 9090db that works great with so far no issues (knock on wood). My speakers are 2 sets of 8ohm Klipsch Heresy's. I usually only have one set turned on using speaker "a" but sometimes I use both sets with "a&b"

I like the sound when the loudness setting is on and I set the bass selection to 300hz. If I always listen to my music this way will it eventually hurt my 9090db? I really don't push my speakers. I listen at low to mid volume with every so often going up from there. I just want to make sure if I always use these settings is it okay.

Thank you for all the feedback,
Steve

If your 9090DB is working properly you can play it all day long like that. There is no combination of the front panel controls that will damage a properly working unit, just keep an eye on the temperature of the heat sink on the back of the unit. If it gets hot, turn the volume down. Heat can also be an indication that it needs service. If the unit hasn't been serviced in a long time, it's probably a good idea to get it checked if you are going to push it hard.

- Pete

Oops, almost forgot, please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block.

- Pete

Steve,

Train your ear to hear the audio-able difference
when you go to loud volumes.

Eventually,
Your girl will start to clip
Which inadvertently causes her big transistors
to be starved of watts and amps...
...which in turn brings on what we
perceive asdistortion.

If and when you push it,
and I know you will,
a person can "aim" to hear the point
where the beautifully clean sound that
Sansui is know for,
-turns to the onset of distorting.

When a person can recognize that point,
Then he can also learn to utilize the loudness/hertz settings
to "play around" just under clipping of your amp (~say 3 or 4 db down/under when she starts to clip)
Generally speaking,
The moment you push your amp into clipping,
is the moment it starts to distort.
The distortion (clipping) input into your transistors,
causes then to run excessively hot,

...Steve, All is good if you crank her and be mindful of the distortion,
the clipping, the excessive heat.

===========================================

*If there's one thing I know about
Sansui owners is that
they seem to have acquired an above average 'ear'
- for clean music
and that 'ear' has eventually not just
brought them to Sansui,
But also brought them to places like this forum.

? I would suspect that the average user here
could/would or already has learned to
pinpoint the exact point when you
push your amp to clipping (and all that's associated with it).

Cheers, :beerchug:
moe
(Listening to Michael Franks tonite):rockon:

:music:
moe

That's a common misconception (that you hear some sort of big increase in distortion at the first hint of clipping).

If one hears clear evidence of distortion, one is already well past the point where clipping first began to occur.

The point IS
that you learn to hear the onset of distortion.

The point IS it is pretty much impossible to detect the onset of clipping by ear.

Many people think it presents itself like a room lighting up when turn on the light switch, but it doesn't.

Again, by the time you actually hear clipping it's generally well past the point where it started.

I certainly don't disagree one should learn the characteristics of their system, in general, but the part about clipping needed to be clarified.

I totally agree with Your admission that you cannot detect
when your amp becomes unstable.

104%

LOL. Vapid twaddle.

That you have to alter my comment in a fraudulent quote is sophomoric, at best.

Last edited:

Whether you believe You can of you can't,
You Are Right.

Just because you can't,
doesn't mean the OP can or can't,
or that studio engineers
and or other trained ears can or can't

Of course they can. :rflmao::rflmao::rflmao:

Last edited:
Keep in mind that driving an amplifier to clipping can fry tweeters. I bought a pair of Klipsch Heresy II speakers and both tweeter voice coils were open. It was not disclosed in the eBay auction. I was able to replace them with new VCs.

I often listen to pipe organ music and the 32' C (~ 16 Hz) uses a lot of power to reproduce and can easily fry a woofer at high listing levels. I (unfortunately) ripped apart the woofer in a pair of HH Scott S-15 after possibly consuming a few extra adult beverages one night. :eek:.

Lucky for me it only pulled the tinsel lead off of the terminal. (It could have fried the voice coil)

To insult peoples from around the world on internet is
what you do best?

Insulting the worlds first self make billionaire and his 100 year old quote
maybe takes special talent.

To assume you are American would be incorrect?

Do you wonder why world think American wears asses for hats?
Are you to further the cause?

You make it shine that I am not American.
and that is the saddest thing about all this.

A lion kills and partakes of the flesh because it must eat; it has no choice.
One who feels insulted and condemns insult, unlike the lion, had a choice to eat or not to eat.
And the choice was to eat.

Last edited:
Ahem.....gents....to get back to the main subject matter, YES be careful employing both loudness and bass boost.

My 9090db I just recently parted with would part your hair at 9 o'clock. Never went past 10 oclock, as it just hurt. I used loudness, but no other boost.

And yes, submit the s/n if possible, and have that thing benched and checked.

Good luck.

Some of the behavior here is embarrassing to both Americans AND AK'ers. Let's all chill out.

Moe? I read your post about the Sanken counterfeits and it was A+ stuff.
Please don't ruin your good record. We don't do that stuff here. Keep it friendly please.
Do you have a 9090DB? You must admit it can get pretty loud, with the volume knob
between 9 and 10 - right? How much further you can crank it before it gets real uncomfortable?
How much till it hurts? I bet not much. Can you really hear it clip? Good for you in that case.
Us elderly, don't typically have that kind of hearing any more.

Still showing off to friends?
Cool career! Thanks. Not showing off but a real story:
My friend Toli, an EE who redesigned the F2624 driver amp for the 9090DB was auditioning the unit in his living room with another friend for the first time.
He told me (I'm paraphrasing here since I don't remember it word for word):
"We rocked the living room for as loud as we could go and we were still using up about 15 watts"
Then he said: "It was nice to know we had 110 watts more in reserve".

If you have the Heresy "I" (which weren't called that until the IIs appeared), the lowest impedance is 10.2 ohms happening at about 140Hz.

HeresyImpedance.jpg

Just for the sake of bragging, and yes, I'm bragging on one of our techs here, my Sansui 9090db was restored by Glenn (Echowars as he's known here) and measuring at clipping, it was doing 161 wpc.

That thing was scary. Had it on some JBL L100T's, and it was really controlling that splendid woofer that those late era JBL's are known for. I couldn't take more than 25 watts or so.

About ready to take my 9090db in for a going over. Had it repaired a year or so ago (loud pop followed by protection mode). The repair shop had the damn thing for about 5 months. Got it back and while it fires up, one tape out and another tape in don't work, both tape monitors don't work, and its lacking the balls it use to have. Sounds great, but have to crank the volume up more than before to get the same db level. Now to decide where to take it. Not going to the guy who had it before !!! But on the subject of hearing or knowing when an amp is about to clip and distort. I can hear it. But I have been a musician/studio owner for eons and I push preamps/amps all the time.

Back
Top Bottom