Most Expensive Record / CD / Cassette That You Own (According to Discogs)

This VG+ Sonny Rollins is probably the priciest record I own at this point. Classic Blue Notes can get a little crazy, from what I've seen...

R-1878703-1328401158.jpeg.jpg

I have the Klemperer Mahler Second Symphony on blue-and-silver UK EMI SAX. This set is two separate records, and my set is in beautiful condition and plays flawlessly.

Sets have been sold on eBay in the $700-1000 range, and they're not getting any cheaper.

The highest I have noted was around 400 dollars. I try not to pay more than a 50 cents for a record, but new ones are a bit more.

Yeah, prices on first and early pressing Blue Note records, especially from a certain time period, are notoriously expensive. Prohibitively so for most of us, I'd say. If only I'd spent my allowance on those records instead of baseball cards and comic books!

This VG+ Sonny Rollins is probably the priciest record I own at this point. Classic Blue Notes can get a little crazy, from what I've seen...

R-1878703-1328401158.jpeg.jpg

My Mobile Fidelity LPs ... Legacy & New. Some are so rare ... they don't even show up on eBay much anymore.

Talked to a fellow once at a rather large local Flea Market. He was selling all his Audiophile
LP's that he collected for 35 years. Why? I asked. "You know buddy, we're not getting any younger" ... good point I thought.

Last edited:
My tops...

Original pressing of Lawn Boy (Phish)
Plastikman - Arkives 1993-2010
Kate Bush - Aerial
Tool -Aenima (original pressing)
Temple Of The Dog - original pressing
Miles Davis -Complete Columbia cd box
Tom Petty - Wildflowers (original pressing)

My Mobile Fidelity LPs ... Legacy & New. Some are so rare ... they don't even show up on eBay much anymore.

Talked to a fellow once at a rather large local Flea Market. He was selling all his Audiophile
LP's that he collected for 35 years. Why? I asked. "You know buddy, we're not getting any younger" ... good point I thought.

I don't get it. "We're all going to die, so why enjoy your record collection?" A very dark view, if you ask me.

I don't get it. "We're all going to die, so why enjoy your record collection?" A very dark view, if you ask me.

Probably an age thing (maybe health scare) ... when you start to realize that there are more days behind you then ahead. At some point, you figure out that you won't live long enough to play your
entire collection.

I've seen this play out numerous time over the years ... w/ folks I blog with. Some had some killer record collections. One guy bought legacy Blue Note for decades before
they became popular collectibles. He has since passed on and began selling before then.

Last edited:
Okay, well, that's one point of view. I myself regard such things as sources of comfort as I get older, things that keep life enjoyable. It would be hard to imagine life at any stage without music, books, and art. I do find myself much more discriminatory at this point, buying less but buying "better," as it were, and not so impulsively.

Nothing earth-shattering in my collection, but I'd say it's probably my original pressing of Neil Young - Harvest Moon from 1992.

I picked up a NM original mono of Dylan's Blonde on Blonde last year at the flea market that would probably be up there too. Much of my rarest stuff are original copies from 90's indie bands like Pavement, Guided By Voices, Yo la Tengo, Flaming Lips, etc., but there is much less demand for those.

I think you might be a little off with your demand estimate for the listed bands. Many do go for a lot of cash and are very hard to find.

I think you might be a little off with your demand estimate for the listed bands. Many do go for a lot of cash and are very hard to find.

I would agree. Remember, those albums were released at the height of the CD era, when LP copies likely were pressed in limited numbers. A couple of weeks ago I saw a very used first-press copy of Loveless in a local record store. The cover was very beat up -- I'd probably grade it far less than G. The vinyl looked VG-plus. Sticker price: $200.

I agree they're hard to find. Took me years to track down original pressings of all five Pavement albums, my dozen or so YLT albums, etc. When I started going back through and valuing my records this last year, I found they and other similar records from that era had increased in value about two or three times what I paid for them ten or so years ago. They just don't quite bring as much as guys like Dylan, and the more decent repressings that come out, they just don't hold value like they used to. My original of Beck's Sea Change took a hit when they repressed it. Used to be the only pressing available. But it all ebbs and flows.

Yeah, prices on first and early pressing Blue Note records, especially from a certain time period, are notoriously expensive. Prohibitively so for most of us, I'd say. If only I'd spent my allowance on those records instead of baseball cards and comic books!

Yeah, some of those rare OG Blue Note pressings are going for 3-4K+ on eBay :eek:. No way I can play in that league...

1st press of Sex Pistols -Never Mind The Bollocks, matrix A1-B1.
The only one I could see on discogs is A3-B1 at AU$840.

Back
Top Bottom