Most Expensive Record / CD / Cassette That You Own (According to Discogs)

I use to collect Beatles records back in the day...US LP's, 45's w/pic sleeves, promo 45's, box sets from around the world, picture discs, color vinyl etc... The most expensive records included all the Christmas flexi discs, the Mobile Fidelity box set (sealed #41) and a couple sealed Pepper UHQR boxes. I also had other sealed Mobile Fidelity LP's and UHQR pressings including a sealed Floyd DSOTM UHQR. My most valuable record though was a first state mono Butcher cover in the original shrink wrap. I'm guessing the butcher cover could go between $12-18K today. I haven't kept up on the prices since stopping to attend the annual Beatlefests years ago. It was a blast collecting the stuff and no regrets selling it years ago.

1st press of Sex Pistols -Never Mind The Bollocks, matrix A1-B1.
The only one I could see on discogs is A3-B1 at AU$840.
I ran across one of those a while back at a garage sale. Strangely, the sleeve looked great and I was totally stoked. Until I opened it....It had heavy water damage and the record was warped like crazy.
I passed.
In retrospect, I should have bought it just for the sleeve.

Some original Blue Note LPs aside, my most expensive LP is an original mono UK DECCA pressing of Beggars Banquet. Sells for roughly $200. Stereo version sounds better, but it is still cool to have. Original UK LP pressings of Sticky Fingers sell for just north of $100.

I sold my NM 2nd pressing of Teen Idles - Minor Disturbance (Discord #1) for about $500. First pressings fetch more. I purchased this at Commander Salamanders in Georgetown back when DC had a great punk scene.

Original 6-eye mono pressing of Miles Davis, 'Kind of Blue'

I found it in an old box of records in my mother-in-law's basement.

View attachment 981302

I just looked this up on Discogs and discovered that I have one of the 'misprint' versions, with Cannoball Adderley spelled "Adderly" and the order of "Flamenco Sketches" and "All Blue" on side 2 reversed.

Got a VG+ original Skip Spence—OAR, which is what comes up as top value from my collection on Discogs...I would think it would be hard to even hit that Median mark though, highest must have been a sealed copy I would think.
  • Lowest:
    $55.00
  • Median:
    $222.50
  • Highest:
    $530.97

Wishful thinking.:)
I have a second state in VG+ butcher cover and the average value for the mono
copy is more like $600

Like I said, I haven't been to a Beatlefest in many years and no long keep up with record values. i sold my sealed first state mono in the mid 80's for $3k. I know the market value of it in the late 90's was $10-12K. A first state sealed stereo butcher was going for much more. I know of a collector who turned down $20K in the 90's for his sealed first state stereo butcher. So, yeah, if the market has plunged for first state butchers I get it. In all the years I collected Beatles records, prices only escalated...some pretty substantially.

So do LPs really get sold on DIscogs for these prices? It seems I could pull in a bundle with some of the things I have, if I chose to do that.

So do LPs really get sold on DIscogs for these prices? It seems I could pull in a bundle with some of the things I have, if I chose to do that.
Some do. I've sold a few LPs that were fetching top dollar. I've bought a couple of LPs and minidiscs that I couldn't find on the 'bay.
Most notable: When I watch some of the rarer minidiscs "to think about buying them" at a later date, most of them are purchased by someone else before I make up my mind. Minidiscs have a strong following there.

I sold my entire vinyl collection around 10 years ago to a friend for a good chunk of change, to offset bills when the band I was in was doing a lot of touring (and therefore, not much work for me at home).
I sold him everything for around 1/3 of what it was worth.
Tons of rare punk and metal, really nice old rock and roll.
Highlights would be original Misfits vinyl, including the 'Evilive' 7" offered through the Fiend Club...3 Hits From Hell, Halloween 7" records. Original pressing (wrong color) 'Walk Among Us'.
A bunch of first pressing English punk and some very rare Oi! compilations.
Near-mint Jefferson Airplane 'Surrealistic Pillow' in both stereo and mono.
Metallica 'Garage Days' near mint...
Not to mention all my Steely Dan, mint.
A bunch of good jazz, all near mint.

Ugh!

My sealed Lightnin' Hopkins - Free Form Patterns - 1968 Original Pressing

lightnin hopkins 1.jpeg lightnin hopkins 2.jpeg

Attachments

• lightnin hopkins 1.jpeg
    lightnin hopkins 1.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1
  • lightnin hopkins 2.jpeg
    lightnin hopkins 2.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
As mentioned some of the classic Blue Note jazz LPs are ridiculous. I don't have this one and if I did I would likey still not own it. As much as I love jazz, LPs and Hank Mobley I think I could find a way to spend the cash on a couple dozen/hundred LPs I would be just as happy with?

IMG_8738.PNG

I have seen his LPs go for twice that btw. Also just to put it in perspective, the description states that there are a couple of hairlines scratches and some ticks on the wax...

With that said I have a few old first press jazz or punk LPs that are in the $100-$300 range but nothing even approaching some of the monsters posted here. Guess I'll just have to keep looking!

I don't understand how these LPs can go for so much on Discogs when, with a little luck and patience, I can find the same things in the used bins for much less. (Not meaning the Blue Note stuff, of course, but just the general rock LP.)

I don't understand how these LPs can go for so much on Discogs when, with a little luck and patience, I can find the same things in the used bins for much less. (Not meaning the Blue Note stuff, of course, but just the general rock LP.)

Some people have more money than time. Some people have more time than money. Some people get the thrill from finding it. Some people get the thrill from being able to buy it.

Back
Top Bottom