Just got a Au x1 and of coarse need info

Bigdrive

Hello all, I have just begun to touch the surface of recapping a Au x1. I have gone through many posts on the subject and have not been able to find a p/n for the bulb to indicate which selector switch is selected. I have the schematics but still do not come up with a good number.
Any help would be much appreciated.

About the amp.....it is a 1979 model and early version. The output transistors have the right numbers but I have not opened it up that far yet. With using the aux or tape input the amp is in league all its own. Music sounds all new. The bad news was phono mm was really bad and cutting in and out and possible oscillating, quickly turned that off! Recappped mc and mm boards and cleaned all the pots. Huge improvement! One channel great the other still occasionally cutting in and out. Both channels seem low in volume. I am suspecting the relays and have them ready to go in. It's a 4 relay board. I am half way through recapping ps board and when done will put it all together to see where I am.
Cheers,

Get the bulbs off this guy (https://sites.google.com/site/dgwojocom), no affiliation, he's just the AK lamp guru dude. Ask him for the same ones he sold me, they worked very nicely. There is an AK member discount.

Start making a list, you are on the end of a very large order from mouser, there are a lot of caps in these amps. Gets quite expensive if you want to do it properly.

You'll need to re-tension the gold plated molex connectors on the Phono boards, I had trouble with them not making a solid contact.

Get ALL the trimmers and there are a few, flat amp board, phono boards, power supply board, and driver board, you'll need 25 turn on the phono boards to get the adjustment you need.

The channel cutting out, is most likely the AMP OPERATION switch, you need to dismantle and clean the contacts, you need to physically deoxidize them, then you can put deoxit SN5 on the contacts before reassembing.
Just spraying the D5 in the switch assembled, will not cut the mustard.

I wouldn't assume its the relays, they are sealed, the switches are not. The relays were fine in the one I did.

Good luck, we'll help you along as you go....

Try not to use the amplifier until you have reconditioned the driver assemblies.

There are a number of threads, including mine, on this model which go into considerable detail, and will answer many of your questions.

Hi Bigdrive, welcome to AudioKarma Exclusively Sansui forum. There are a number of good threads containing information to rebuild that model. You can find them with the search function. The AU-X1 is a great amp when properly restored. Please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block.

- Pete

Thank you All,
Kevzep, the lamp guru has gotten back to me already and I will be going ahead with the purchase. I have checked and inspected pin tension and gave both sides another cleaning. I will hold on any relay swap until next audio test. I will order the trimmer pots on my next order.

Amp operation switch will be worked as suggested. Thanks for the tips.

Hyperion, that is great advise and while I don't want to not use it...I won't until the driver board is done. I have read many threads on this including yours and it gets my adreiline going, I race downstairs and work on it until 0200. :) I will get the driver boards out and get the the parts ordered on my Tuesday order. I would like to post a picture of the output transistors so people in the know can advise if they are fake or not.

LBPete, I am definitely going to need help from AK. It seems like a very nice forum. I have been reading from here for years and now I must dive in!
Nothing but common sense stopping me!

Well I removed the driver card and here is a picture of the output transistors. From reading about how to tell fake ones, the font to me looks correct, but this is not my day job. If anyone sees something other then the cob webs let me know. Someone has clearly been in here as there is all kinds of evidence. P.S. the spider was a big one.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 52
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 50
They look like real Sankens, but perhaps these ones are replacements for the originals? It looks like a ton more thermal paste than Sansui would apply in the factory - but prepared to stand corrected on this.....

Yea I ran into a massive spider in a Sansui TT once, utterly bloody terrifying....

They are factory, the one I worked on was like that too and I could tell they had never been out before....I was suspicious at first too, but yeah, they really caked that stuff on at the factory....
IMG_4682.JPG

Kevzep,
I am trying to get another order from Mouser for tomorrow, but cannot find a 470 ohm 25 turn trimpot. Do you recommend going to the 500 ohm one in order to get a 25 turn?

Just get whatever turns you can 10/15/20/25....they'll all work, its important to have to correct value trimmer...:thumbsup:

Hyperion I asked you the same question hope i'm not stepping on your toes by chiming in with the same answer you gave me?
Absolutely fine Willy, no problem at all. :thumbsup: - I like to see that someone remembered good/accurate advice they have been given and passed it on, that is what this site is all about. :thumbsup:

Absolutely fine Willy, no problem at all. :thumbsup: - I like to see that someone remembered good/accurate advice they have been given and passed it on, that is what this site is all about. :thumbsup:
And I want to thank you for all the info you helped me with I've actually refurbished three X-1's so far and taking in that knowledge you shared I don't think I could have done it with out your input..

Well, to be fair there were/are other resources (threads) on AK, which must have helped - like Harold's one for example. And I wasn't the only one that helped you along the way, so I can't take all the credit, Ronito was a mine of information. :king:

The fact that you have come this far and have become proficient with the AU-X1 (three !) is an achievement that you can be very proud of - well done Willy. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Well, to be fair there were/are other resources (threads) on AK, which must have helped - like Harold's one for example. And I wasn't the only one that helped you along the way, so I can't take all the credit. :king:

The fact that you have come this far and have become proficient with the AU-X1 (three !) is an achievement that you can be very proud of - well done Willy. :thumbsup:
Well I wasn't the best student you've ever seen but I was paying attention and Ronito6 helped me out quite a bit..

Back
Top Bottom