Fisher 400 Meets Grandpa's Console

kevco

This console belonged to my grandfather. He purchased it in the early 60's from an unknown source in North Jersey. I'm not sure if he had it custom built or bought from a furniture store. It's a teak veneer over very high quality furniture grade hardwood ply.

Original electronics were a Bogen 6V6 powered receiver, Garrard Labs Type A (still present for now) and Oaktron alnico full range speakers (also still present).

I've had it since about 2000 and have been mainly using it as decor furniture in my dining room but at long last I've brought it back into service. Yesterday I installed my 400 to replace the long gone Bogen. The aperture for the receiver had to be enlarged quite a bit to accommodate the Fisher but I think it looks pretty at home.

The Oaktrons are running full range with no crossover and rated at max music power of 15 watts, so I'm not going over about 50% of volume pot rotation nor do I need to. This thing sounds great! The bass slam is outstanding and while treble could be better, it's not terrible either. Pretty good drivers but I imagine I'll be looking for something with a little more power handling at some point, but no rush.

There's a bar that slides out on rails and the turntable does as well. I don't really have interest in restoring the Garrard as I also own a similar changer of that model and I don't particularly like it. I'm thinking an AR XA or similar might fit there but suspended sup platter tables don't like speaker vibration so perhaps suggestions?

Anyway I'm thrilled to have the old girl singing again!IMG_0471.JPGIMG_0472.JPGIMG_0473.JPG

Also I forgot to mention the speakers are 8" with whizzer cones and are front ported. The cabinets are lined with fiber glass. There's enough room on the motor boards to go to 10" and enough internal area for more magnet structure so that a coaxial or something similar could easily fit. Could be an interesting prospect...

While I'm here some pix of my main (Fisher based) rig. AR XA turntable, VTA SP-12 preamp driving either the Fisher SA-16 or AES AE25 in triode to Zu Omens. Bogen tuner and integrated at bottom belonged to my wife's grandfather (also North Jersey, Bogenland?). They both contain all original mostly Mullard tubes and work well. IMG_0214.JPGIMG_0215.JPGIMG_0217.JPG

This is really cool. I actually have a stereo cabinet that my grandfather built from scratch for my dad. He had one that preceded this one in their living room in the 50s and 60s and when my dad was old enough, he made a more basic version for Dad's bedroom. Dad has the original in mahogany and I have the more basic version of his in an dark oak. Outside they look identical. I have the TV on mine because of the limited inside space. My grandfather always used Sherwood receivers and they are much smaller than most. I've been thinking of getting an old Sherwood to put in it.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Thanks guys! And to Rob, no hijack possible here. I just wanted to show this console off as I finally got the 400 that I purchased for it like 8 years ago installed yesterday..Fisher manufactured consoles get a lot of love on AK and I'm a big fan of them as well but this one seems to be pretty unique to me. It seems to have been built more as a prestige piece of furniture rather than a purpose built hi-fi cabinet like the major players: Zenith, Magnavox, Fisher etc. My grandparents had it placed as the centerpiece of their living room and my grandfather played music on it daily after work while enjoying his martini (or two!). It has so many enclosed nooks and hiding spots that as a kid I was always fascinated by it. My grandfather kept penny candy in the bar area for us as "bonuses" for good behavior. When my grandfather and eventually grandmother passed away I knew that it was the one item of theirs that I'd have to keep. 17 years later it's finally making music again and properly I think!

Thanks guys! And to Rob, no hijack possible here. I just wanted to show this console off as I finally got the 400 that I purchased for it like 8 years ago installed yesterday..Fisher manufactured consoles get a lot of love on AK and I'm a big fan of them as well but this one seems to be pretty unique to me. It seems to have been built more as a prestige piece of furniture rather than a purpose built hi-fi cabinet like the major players: Zenith, Magnavox, Fisher etc. My grandparents had it placed as the centerpiece of their living room and my grandfather played music on it daily after work while enjoying his martini (or two!). It has so many enclosed nooks and hiding spots that as a kid I was always fascinated by it. My grandfather kept penny candy in the bar area for us as "bonuses" for good behavior. When my grandfather and eventually grandmother passed away I knew that it was the one item of theirs that I'd have to keep. 17 years later it's finally making music again and properly I think!
What a great story! Mine as sentimental as well. I never knew my grandfather but grew up with the original cabinet in Dad's study housing his stereo and the one that ended up with me as a TV/VHS cabinet. I can remember weekends playing in Dad's study with Matchbox cars or Legos while Dad played song after song through his old silver face Pioneer SX.

I've considered putting my current setup in the cabinet but my 800 is just too pretty to keep out of sight. I will probably rework the guts of the cabinet to house something SS for my wife to use. She is scared of my Fisher and I think that's a good thing!

I'll try and post a picture tonight when I get home.

Thanks so much for sharing Kevco!

Looks good. That sure looks like a Garrard AT6 family member though, not a Type A. The A has a side pusher mechanism and a distinct bent spindle. The AT6 has a dozen some related model numbers all based on the same mechanism using different tonearms and motors.

Gadget- You're correct of course! My other one is the changer and is in fact an A II. The one in the console is an AT6 as you noted. Good eye, my error on that . I
had assumed that they were both considered As because of the prefix. Thanks for the correction .

Neat story! So many of us were no doubt influenced by Fisher equipment in our home when we were growing up. I still have the X-101ST and Jensen speaker cabinets my dad made when I was a small boy, complete with the 12" "Super Range" Wharfedale drivers inside them. You did your grandfather proud!

Dave

Back
Top Bottom