IBAM school is complete, now do I graduate?

RS Steve

Tube Junkie
Subscriber
This learning curve has absolutely been a challenge for me, I can't tell you how many times I have hit a wall trying to build one of these. Having no electronics background what so ever, I have to question every connection and understand why it goes there. Then add the fact that your flipping it over and looking at it in reverse doesn't help. It was something I just couldn't accomplish after a hard days work, my mind would simply lock up second guessing myself.

Well, being a patient student, I kept going back to it, trying to learn and absorb something every time. I understand it's a simple circuit, but working from schematics confuse me after spending most of my adult life working with blueprints. I also don't like making any solder connections without being 100% sure it's correct, so there has been many stops and starts. I pretty confident I got everything correct, looks like we will find out soon. :idea:

Next challenge is to verify where all the wires get connected, I'll be pretty excited when I can relax and say I did it. :thumbsup:

20170808_091002.jpg 20170808_091104.jpg

Looks good Steve! I'm hoping your success will be me in several years. Just goes to show if you surround yourself with knowledgeable folks it can rub off. Reminds me of the Paul Klipsch quote regarding standing on the shoulders of giants. Although in our case its more like riding the coat tails.

Looks good Steve! I'm hoping your success will be me in several years. Just goes to show if you surround yourself with knowledgeable folks it can rub off. Reminds me of the Paul Klipsch quote regarding standing on the shoulders of giants. Although in our case its more like riding the coat tails.
Thanks!
It's a slow process for me, but I'm getting these Fisher's restored in stages, seems like I have come a long way.
I have about (12) 7591's that are not a good match with each other, so it will be nice to have a chance to use some of them.

Very nice Steve!
The first one is a bit nerve racking to put together :) When installed they work very well and sure help out when you have fairly close, but not matching output tubes. Best of luck.

Very nice Steve!
The first one is a bit nerve racking to put together :) When installed they work very well and sure help out when you have fairly close, but not matching output tubes. Best of luck.
Yeah, the rest should all be down hill from here on out. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks! :confused:

Yeah, but they forget the new trick in 20 minutes!:D Nice job Steve. Now to get it installed and working right. THEN you get a Chee....Uh Sheepskin.

I look at it this way. For a person of a "certain age" (i.e. baby boomers) with limited electronics experience, to take on these old Fisher beauties results in an excellent intellectual exercise. Plus we end up with an outstanding receiver/amp!

I look at it this way. For a person of a "certain age" (i.e. baby boomers) with limited electronics experience, to take on these old Fisher beauties results in an excellent intellectual exercise. Plus we end up with an outstanding receiver/amp!
I have to give all the credit to joining AK, and learning from its helpful members. Six years ago I could probably only change a fuse. :biggrin:

I have to give all the credit to joining AK, and learning from its helpful members. Six years ago I could probably only change a fuse. :biggrin:
Indeed, without the excellent tutors here I would have been lost with my restore project.

All six soldered up and ready to go, pretty much mastered the connections now so any I do in the future should be a breeze. I plan on coming up with a good mounting technique before installing them, I'll get spoiled being able to check and adjust bias without having to open up the bottom. Now to pick which units get these. :idea:

20170812_132904.jpg

Wow...you are doing them all at once :eek: I didn't know you had a half dozen going at the same time. Great job.

This is the mounting system I came up with, it requires two holes drilled in the chassis, but seems to be a very solid and clean installation. I epoxied two mounting tabs to the board, it really bonded quite well since both the board and tabs have holes for the epoxy to attach through. Now on to running the wires, and hooking it up. Thought I'd practice my first installation on my ole stinker 800-C.

20170815_082011.jpg 20170815_082039.jpg 20170815_082211.jpg

Last edited:
You could also use 3M double sided tape bought at pro automotive paint stores. Believe me it will never come off unless you want it to. Great job Steve. I hope to get this far down the road soon.

Attachments

• SAM_0539.JPG
    SAM_0539.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 21
  • SAM_0540.JPG
    SAM_0540.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 20
  • SAM_0541.JPG
    SAM_0541.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 18
Thanks!
It's a slow process for me, but I'm getting these Fisher's restored in stages, seems like I have come a long way.
I have about (12) 7591's that are not a good match with each other, so it will be nice to have a chance to use some of them.

Making those mistakes are worth their weight in gold. The key to soldering is repetition. During my Military electronics days we had the toughest civilian trainer, who would go over your soldering with a jewelers loupe. The littlest mistake (1 pit, too much residual flux, questionable connect) would command a resolder, we thought he was an a-hole (we were young), but later in my career I truly believe he made me a master solderer. I must have built over 500 silo launch site headsets from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom