Bryston Model 11B Review

DanTana

Once in a while we come across a component that aspires us to bigger, better things, makes us want to hear every single song again and makes us more critical of our other components. It makes us listen to the music and hear things that you didn't hear before. The Bryston Model 11B preamp is one of those components. Hearing what it does to my system, and truthfully I was a little skeptical it would make such a difference, I was aware of subtle things I didn't hear before. Like in Fleetwood Mac's Rhianon, hearing Mick Fleetwood's cresendo of cymbols was unheard of to me before. Like a fluttering bird, softly and slowly waning, but fast like a hummingbird flying off. These are the kind of things that make music special, hearing those very subtle and sometimes unknown sounds you never heard before. The downside to this, is suddenly you begin to wonder how this would work with different components, amps, source devices, etc, devices that would require another mortgage to afford. I began trying all available amps and devices I could with this, each time I was made aware of their strengths and shortcomings. Some devices I was delighted, others I was disspointed, but felt in no way was the Bryston responsible for the plus or minuses, only revealing the truth. The Bryston provides a solid foundation to a system for an audiophile to build around.

One nice thing with this preamp, I'm now in the process of modding a Denon DCD-520 and you can hear every change well through this. Like the addage goes, garbage in/garbage out, and the same goes for quality in/quality out.

The Bryston gear always seemed to have outstanding specs, as well, and I think the 20 year warranty doesn't hurt, either. I do know the stuff goes high on the Bay, lucky you for having one. I watch and wait, and hope I have some $ when a good piece comes by. I guess that could apply to a lot of things, as I think about it. . . . . . Thanks for the Review. Charley Baird.:)

Have always liked Bryston gear. Other than my current system, the best sounds in my house were when I listened to a pair of bridged 2B-LP amps and a Mod Squad Deluxe passive preamp and Threshold FET ten/pc phono stage. Such a clean sound. My third favorite was a B-25 into an MC-500. Not quite as good as the pair of 2B-LPs, but still great sound. The BP-25 replaced the two newest McIntosh preamps at the time and the comparison was not even close. The Bryston was far and away better sounding. Clean, clear and fast. Don't think one can go wrong with their gear based on what I've owned and heard. Bryston also does a terrific job of supporting their gear. And I don't mean just their warranty. I bought a used B-60 and they were happy to check it out for me. I sent to their service center in Vermont with the expectation of paying ~$50 for the service. The only charge was for shipping. Now that's good service!

I own a Bryston "based" system.....20b Pre-Amp, 10B Crossover and a pair of Bryston amps (3BST and 4BST)........these are driving a pair of JBL 4350 studio monitors and as far as I am concerned it does not get any better then that.....sure one can go out and purchase pre-amps and amps for $10,000 or more each but I don't think one can do a better pre-amp/crossover/amp(s) combo for under $7000.00..... :thmbsp:

How dumb am I?

I had an 11b preamp... which is now a collector item... Why did I get rid of it? How dumb was that?. I always liked bryston gear,,,,, clean, fast, powerful and bulletproof. the Russell brothers really know how to build gear. It always keeps its price. Unlike some krell, levinson, Perreaux,Soundcraftsman, Parasound and so on and soforth.You remember that stuff? where is it now? Nuff said.

Wish I could afford a pair of 9b mono blocks... Good for the next 30 years! :thmbsp: :naughty:

Ginovino, Maybe you can still pick up a 11B before they skyrocket into unobtanium? Their newest preamps go for about $2,000.00+ now. I sure would love to hear some Bryston amps someday, according to reviews they are extremely quiet and detailed with no sonic coloration, like their preamps, what you put in, is what you get out. Too many amps tend to add or subtract from the sonic signature, even big name amps can add "warmth" or other things that I prefer to be added by the source.

Just scooped a 3B and 11B. Are they that rare. whats a price point for the pair. Super clean, no miles, transformers have no discolouration. original caps on the 3B
Sorry for hijacking your post.
cheers,
Mark
the world is awesome today

Just scooped a 3B and 11B. Are they that rare. whats a price point for the pair. Super clean, no miles, transformers have no discolouration. original caps on the 3B
cheers,
Mark

Hijacking? The last reply was over 13 years ago. Only one of the previous posters even visits AK.

Hijacking? The last reply was over 13 years ago. Only one of the previous posters even visits AK.
What I implied was a question to rarity and value. Not age of the post. I was referencing the the predicted value stated in the original post. Which was almost spot on for the vintage 11B & 12B these days. Who would or could have predicted that with a post from 13 years ago with some politeness added. Thank you for letting me know that one of the posters is no longer. Whats a Pheasant Plucker in Australia. As implied or another term from down under.
Cheers,
Mark
the world is awesome today..

What I implied was a question to rarity and value. Not age of the post. I was referencing the the predicted value stated in the original post. Which was almost spot on for the vintage 11B & 12B these days. Who would or could have predicted that with a post from 13 years ago with some politeness added. Thank you for letting me know that one of the posters is no longer. Whats a Pheasant Plucker in Australia. As implied or another term from down under.
Cheers,
Mark
the world is awesome today..
Take the 'Ph' sound from the word pheasant and the 'Pl' sound from the plucker and swap them over to the other word. So the 'Pl' goes over to 'easant' and the 'Ph' goes over to 'ucker'. It should all be perfectly clear now.

New to the preamp world so I appreciate any help.
Looking at a Bryston 11B and a .5B. I see that a 12B has a "step up" stage for MC cartridges and the 11B does not. Does that mean the 11B is not suitable to use with a MC cartridge like the Sumiko I have? Where does the .5B fall into the MC mix?

Much thanks.

Yeah, I don't think it will support low output MC without a step up. I don't think the 0.5B has it either. Some 1B's have it, but not all. You have to look at the back input jacks to tell.

From my experience, the Brystons sound very very good, so one option is to find an affordable step up transformer to use with the Bryston, or seek out a 1B that has the SUT built in.

cheers,
Mark
I have an opportunity to buy the same combo...3B and 11B. I`m thinking about buying this but not sure....enjoying my all Rega set up. He may let me bring the gear home to demo it.

5 years later ….

I just picked up an 11B preamp a few days ago in 2023. I just introduced it to my system and I’ve never been so impressed by a preamp … hard to believe this piece is now well over 30 years old. Finally, my NAD 218 THX amp is allowed to do its thing and deliver large amounts of current, unrestrained. The 910 ADS speakers I’m currently running have also become what I always knew they could be - clear, bold, alive. I give a hearty +1 for Bryston 11B … a winner of a preamp, if you can ever find one.

Back
Top Bottom