Setton RS-660 - is this worth it?

Eywadude

Lunatic Member
I have a beat on a very rare and valuable Setton RS-660, but I just found out the casework is in bad shape, the dial glass is missing, and I don't even know if it works or not. The worst part? He's asking $250. I know how much they are worth when they are in good shape, but what do you guys say? Pull the trigger, or pass? My instinct says no more than $150, but what do you guys think the value is in its current shape? Here are the pictures the owner just sent me. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

image1.JPG
image2.JPG
image3.JPG

Any pictures of the internals?
Can't tell if it's just bubbled vinyl from heat, or rusty bubbly from moisture.

Any pictures of the internals?
Can't tell if it's just bubbled vinyl from heat, or rusty bubbly from moisture.

No pictures of the internals, but the owner told me that it was caused due to a candle that melted on top.

Since it's a Setton, it should be easy enough to check if it works, it has a protection circuitry display on the front of the unit.
I'd think a glass shop could cut the dial glass.
It does appear to have been knocked around some.

Since it's a Setton, it should be easy enough to check if it works, it has a protection circuitry display on the front of the unit.
I'd think a glass shop could cut the dial glass.
It does appear to have been knocked around some.

Do you think it's worth the $250 though? I know they have decent value when in good shape, but in the shape it's in I'm thinking $250 is a bit much. I'd love to have it, and I've always wanted one, but what do you say?

The vinyl can be replaced (or even a wooden case built) the glass shouldn't be a big deal.
But the dings and scrapes are permanent IMO.
No experience with that Setton, but had the Lafayette LR-9090. I'm sure you know the similarities they share.
The Lafayettes are now bringing around $150-$300 (depending on condition) and Settons a fair amount more when you can find one.
JMO--- If functional it's worth the $250 IF you can live with the cosmetics.
A good cleaning might make it look pretty sharp.

Edit---there's a bunch of Lafayette LR-9090's on ebay right now, though 2 or 3 appear to be broken units from the same seller. I adjusted my prices down for current market conditions.

Last edited:
It's not just the missing glass, but the surface that the glass covered looks pretty rough as well. Cleaning that without removing the lettering might be an ordeal.

If it's working well, it's worth the money.

There is a power switch issue to address.
The switch can fail so a relay gets added to take the stress off.

Setton sound is the smoothest most buttery I've ever heard.

Ugly girls can sing pretty.

As over here in the Netherlands, having seen pictures ALIKE this, you can assume the rack handles are missing if they are NOT on the pictures.
(now you USA guys tell about peoples CL practices on AK, I can assure you it is the same over here....yes I am a bit of a skeptic)

It is special size very nice special shaped alu rack handles so you can not simply have something alike made up in a machine shop for a reasonable price. Standard size equipment rack handles will not fit.
The glass would need two special mounting clips on it (bolts are part of the clips), covering the holes, which are missing also.

Now for the innards, the Settons are decent but nothing special justifying the raving reviews.
Having no Lafayette nor ever seen one inside, I would say the innards are a bit Pioneer-alike build quality, (My RS440 circuit cards have the Elna brand stamped on it, I thought they were only making caps....)

My opinion is when buying a Setton, you buy it because it looks nice and special so you want it to look good.
The casing looks (and is) elcheapo anyway even if it not battered, but such can be replaced by a wooden one or it has to be veneered. (actually it deserves a nice casing, myself I am no good at woodworking)
Innards can be fixed, if defective. As Blhagstrom states, no complaints about sound at all and a RS660 will have plenty of power compared to my 440.

It WILL have a deteriorated unobtanium power switch too (which often can be replaced using some Pioneer donor or one working switch made out of several deteriorated donors as I did myself, but it is "unobtanium" and due to the age it does not get any better even if it works)
Read: if you can not fix it yourself or have somebody to do it, do not buy it

Anyway if no rackhandles, the intention was to hide the situation from you.

Last edited:
If it's working well, it's worth the money.

There is a power switch issue to address.
The switch can fail so a relay gets added to take the stress off...

I didn't know about the switch issue on them. Good to know.

...Setton sound is the smoothest most buttery I've ever heard.

Ugly girls can sing pretty.

This is what I've always heard. I've always heard good things about the Setton sound, and I've always wanted to try one to see what all the fuss is about. They've always been on my radar, but everyone here knows just how rare they are. The fact that one has shown up locally is a bit surprising. I just may have to spring for it.

As over here in the Netherlands, having seen pictures ALIKE this, you can assume the rack handles are missing if they are NOT on the pictures.
(now you USA guys tell about peoples CL practices on AK, I can assure you it is the same over here....yes I am a bit of a skeptic)

It is special size very nice special shaped alu rack handles so you can not simply have something alike made up in a machine shop for a reasonable price. Standard size equipment rack handles will not fit.
The glass would need two special mounting clips on it (bolts are part of the clips), covering the holes, which are missing also.

Now for the innards, the Settons are decent but nothing special justifying the raving reviews.
Having no Lafayette nor ever seen one inside, I would say the innards are a bit Pioneer-alike build quality, (My RS440 circuit cards have the Elna brand stamped on it, I thought they were only making caps....)

My opinion is when buying a Setton, you buy it because it looks nice and special so you want it to look good.
The casing looks (and is) elcheapo anyway even if it not battered, but such can be replaced by a wooden one or it has to be veneered. (actually it deserves a nice casing, myself I am no good at woodworking)
Innards can be fixed, if defective. As Blhagstrom states, no complaints about sound at all and a RS660 will have plenty of power compared to my 440.

It WILL have a deteriorated unobtanium power switch too (which often can be replaced using some Pioneer donor or one working switch made out of several deteriorated donors as I did myself, but it is "unobtanium" and due to the age it does not get any better even if it works)
Read: if you can not fix it yourself or have somebody to do it, do not buy it

Anyway if no rackhandles, the intention was to hide the situation from you.

Good info, thanks for that. :)

The rack handles are on this unit. ;) Do you know what Pioneer power switch will work in it though? If there is a Pioneer equivalent, then I could just get one and install it with the relay that blhagstrom mentioned. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Keep the comments and advice coming guys! It's very helpful. Cheers. :)

Last edited:
I'm going to call the owner back later today to see if I can negotiate the price down. With the casework, the glass, the switch, and not knowing if it's working or not, I think $250 is still a bit much to ask considering the work that will be needed to be done to it. After a recap, casework, glass and switch, I could be looking at a good chunk of money to rectify everything. Wish me luck though.

There was info online somewhere about adding a relay to the power line and using that to handle the transformer turn on.

The switch turns the relay on.

You need to remove the arc protection caps from the switch or you get a hum.

IIRC it's a 120v relay so the switch uses the the power line and the transformer gets rewired to the relay.

Chassis mount relay and drill a couple holes through the chassis to mount it. There is room behind the switch where the line run.

I thought it was a nice mod for any wired type switch. Probably would have helped a lot of units that use a rotary switch. Like the Old Sherwoods.

Do the indexed indentations of the switch match the markings on the faceplate?
I think I remember Yes.

I did have two Settons 440 and two or three switches from the junkbox. I remember taking everything apart and making two good ones out of all the junk.

edit: the link provided below this post has some switch pictures in there.

Last edited:
There was info online somewhere about adding a relay to the power line and using that to handle the transformer turn on.

The switch turns the relay on.

You need to remove the arc protection caps from the switch or you get a hum.

IIRC it's a 120v relay so the switch uses the the power line and the transformer gets rewired to the relay.

Chassis mount relay and drill a couple holes through the chassis to mount it. There is room behind the switch where the line run.

I thought it was a nice mod for any wired type switch. Probably would have helped a lot of units that use a rotary switch. Like the Old Sherwoods.

Was it this thread?
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....orth-5-and-an-hour-or-so-of-your-time.504673/

Score? No Score?? The dial glass is the big problem here. It's missing the two glass anchors as well. The top can be re-veneered and IIRC, there wasn't anything to prevent a repair like unobtanium STK's. Well worth sorting out, he RS-660 is IMO one of the most cosmetically appealing silver receivers.

Great info everyone, much appreciated! Keep it coming! :)

Score? No Score?? The dial glass is the big problem here. It's missing the two glass anchors as well. The top can be re-veneered and IIRC, there wasn't anything to prevent a repair like unobtanium STK's. Well worth sorting out, he RS-660 is IMO one of the most cosmetically appealing silver receivers.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a response from the owner today. Not good. He originally said that we could meet "on Thursday" for the receiver, so it's possible he could have been busy or out of town or something. Keeping my fingers crossed, but it doesn't seem too promising. Even if I do get a hold of the owner, the next hurdle will be seeing if he's willing to negotiate on the price...

Back
Top Bottom