What Artist passing affected you the most

So many. One came to mind pretty fast though. JJ Cale. Eric Clapton wouldn't be where he is today without him. Clapton and others made some serious money from JJ's songs.

Randy Wolfe, A.K.A., Randy California, lead guitarist of Spirit. He never got the star status he truly deserved. I was lucky enough to see Spirit live in 1970. Randy died in 1997 rescuing his 12 year old son from a riptide. He was only 45.

A trust was set up from proceeds of his contracts and royalties to support music education programs for underprivileged elementary school kids in Ventura County. He was a class act.

Recently I'd have to say George Michael. I was hoping for a Queen tour with him on vocals because if anyone could have done justice to Freddie it was him. I'm a big fan of most of his work and regret never seeing him perform live.

Ronnie James Dio is another. I've seen him a few times and loved his work with Rainbow, Sabbath, and of course his solo albums.

God, there are so many.
Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
Layne Staley (Alice In Chains)
Merle Haggard
Glen Campbell (just yesterday)
Scott Weiland
Nick Menza (Megadeth)
Chris Cornell

I could go on for awhile, but losing my rock and roll hero Lemmy really sucked. Yeah he was 70, but he was my guy.

Gil Scott-Heron. I was pretty devastated for days, like I'd lost a close friend or a brother.

It's amazing that an artist's work can have that kind of a personal, emotional effect...

Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell: three distinct voices from the same era and genre who created a great body of work. My sadness with all three is a bit selfish on my part because I regret that there won't be anything more from them.

Hmmm, no mention of Kurt Cobain yet. Seemed to have at the time a major impact on an entire genre since it was what should have been his prime.

Kurt for me as well, still love seeing his unplugged recording, never miss a chance to do so. I actually have a copy of it on my phone.

More recently Chester Bennington. That really shocked me... Was a big fan. I was in high school when Hybrid Theory came out and I can remember listening to it on my Sony Disc Man. Its odd to think that was almost 20 years ago now.. I have to say that has affected me the most. Probably because i was a fan, and he was huge in my youth. It actually hurt.. :(

alos Chris Cornell I thought when he passed it was very sad, but i am a big STP fan so i knew his history so i was not blown away shocked. Super Sad.

Amy Winehouse I thought it was a joke at 1st, Such a sad story. Such a great songwriter, and such a shitty outcome of the entire situation.

damn this thread is depressing... good though.

Kind Regards,
John

Back
Top Bottom